"I'm oldskool".....what exactly does it mean?!

people who tell you they are old school are best avoided.
Before long they will be boring you with tales of eaton twinsplitters and seddon Atkinson and roping and sheeting.

Dinosaurs ■■?

If you need to ask, the answer would probably mean nothing to you :wink:
Regards. John.

maga:
generally I found when I was driving that if someone referred to themselves as “old school” you could assume quite accurately they were pig headed and couldn’t tell them anything, they’d been everywhere, done it all.

That’s true. Usually rant about the driver cpc how they don’t need training and then tell you about ■■■■■■■■ regulations such as visa fining you a tenner a turn for the trailer legs

Visa ? ? ooh you are such a card …

raymundo:
Visa ? ? ooh you are such a card …

Aye, credit where credit’s due :laughing:
Regards. John.

It means you don’t need sat Nav and you know EVERYTHING

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(1) The customer is always right
(2) You can say what you like as long as you don’t swear.
(3) Your firm will do things that make money, and avoid things that throw away money.
(4) Everyone can be sold to.
(5) The best sat nav in the world is this one…

the nodding donkey:
Robroy is the man to ask.

:laughing: Cheers mate. :unamused:

Well I suppose I am old school but I still use a sat nav. :smiley: one difference is I do that through choice, not necessity,… not boasting at all btw, just stating a fact.

And to pickandmix , no I DON’T know everything (I just pretend to on here :laughing: )

We were taught different, (and not necessarily the right way either) there was no training as such other than how to drive.

You were just chucked in at the deep end on any kind of work, sent on your way, and expected to get on with it, including distance work with a map, roping and sheeting, all different types of trucks all with different gearboxes, and all the rest of it.

The positive side was/is we do not need spoon fed nurse maiding, or told when and when not to wipe our arses.

New school you get training for everything (good thing) but are not expected (or even allowed) to use any initiative…however the good new school lads (of which there are many) ignore this and make good drivers, the rest do not/and do not, …and as said NEED when to be told to apply the Andrex.
Hope that helps. :smiley:

We were taught different, (and not necessarily the right way either) there was no training as such other than how to drive.

Robroy, I was told by ( insert name ) that you were driving artics before they brought out driving licenses ■■ :slight_smile:

raymundo:

Robroy, I was told by ( king Alfred ) that you were driving artics before they brought out driving licenses ■■ :slight_smile:

raymundo:

Robroy, I was told by ( insert name ) that you were driving artics before they brought out driving licenses ■■ :slight_smile:

I aint that bloody old.
You’re getting me mixed up with my old Trucknet mate ‘Truckyboy’’ he’s ‘old oldschool’. :smiley:

With all the moaning and groaning about the “job” on this site shows that there are not that many old school drivers on here, could name a few that are.
You are very unlikely to have an old school driver working for the main stream companies like DHL maritime Stobarts etc, old school will want to do the job his/her way, and not have a ■■■■■■■■ in the office who has probably never even seen inside a cab telling him/her how to do the job, the job gets done his/her way always, because they are trusted to do it their way, old school are very selective on who they work for.
Some companies don’t like old school drivers, because those companies like to employ robots.
Old school, regardless on how long they have been doing the job, will always treat a new day like their first ever day driving a truck because they are committed to the job, or needs committing :unamused:
You will never see old school tailgating the truck in front or sat 6 ft off the car in lane 2 doing 49 mph trying to through the road works.
You know the list is endless, out on the road everything bad you see being done by other truck drivers, won’t be done by old school.

Carryfast I was told did it with a 2hp horse and cart down to the middle east with his Allegro on the back in case a horse died …

weeto:
With all the moaning and groaning about the “job” on this site shows that there are not that many old school drivers on here, could name a few that are.
You are very unlikely to have an old school driver working for the main stream companies like DHL maritime Stobarts etc, old school will want to do the job his/her way, and not have a ■■■■■■■■ in the office who has probably never even seen inside a cab telling him/her how to do the job, the job gets done his/her way always, because they are trusted to do it their way, old school are very selective on who they work for.
Some companies don’t like old school drivers, because those companies like to employ robots.
Old school, regardless on how long they have been doing the job, will always treat a new day like their first ever day driving a truck because they are committed to the job, or needs committing :unamused:
You will never see old school tailgating the truck in front or sat 6 ft off the car in lane 2 doing 49 mph trying to through the road works.
You know the list is endless, out on the road everything bad you see being done by other truck drivers, won’t be done by old school.

To be fair mate and redress the balance here, I know one or two older drivers that I would not employ if they accepted buttons for payment, but speaking widely and generally, I agree with you.

I’d say you’d know an oldskool driver without it even being mentioned. Proper one is usually one who is approachable and will give advice and tips without being patronising and condescending if asked or saw you struggling, kinda wise old owl. ​. Could get the job done minimal fuss and get it done like a gentleman, no stress and always looked easy.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

robroy:

weeto:

To be fair mate and redress the balance here, I know one or two older drivers that I would not employ if they accepted buttons for payment, but speaking widely and generally, I agree with you.

Indeed, being old or having done the job for 40 years doesn’t guarantee old school, old school is a state of mind, an attitude to the job as Weeto correctly describes.
I’ve worked with old blokes who will never be lorry drivers as long as they have a hole in their arse, and i work with and have worked with young drivers who have the right attitude who are old school way ahead of time, often enough those young old schoolers are sons (and daughters) of old time lorry drivers.

Are you ‘old skool’ if you don’t know where to put the magnets or fiddle an analogue or digi tacho but now that if you fail to make an entry in a log book the fine was much less than getting done for making a false entry, max was £25 back in the day … (or so I was informed … by the boss :slight_smile: )

raymundo:
Are you ‘old skool’ if you don’t know where to put the magnets or fiddle an analogue or digi tacho but now that if you fail to make an entry in a log book the fine was much less than getting done for making a false entry, max was £25 back in the day … (or so I was informed … by the boss :slight_smile: )

No that’s just old

Oldschool usually means a fat man in his 50s called Big Gaz/Dave/John who rattles on about Twin Splitters but can’t drive an automatic for toffee. His breakfast bap could feed the whole of Biafra for a month. He slept across the engine on a plank of wood in a truck with no heater and can navigate just by looking at the stars.

We had one old guy defect a wagon for keep going into neutral. That’ll be the Eco Roll mr expert, please keep up :smiley: