Latest RDC

Heard this very morning, if you down rate a unit/trailer from 38 tonnes to say 32 tonnes to save on tax you MUST run with a 4 X 2 unit. Running with a 6 x 2 with the lift axle up is illegal.
Same tale went on to say that if there’s anything in your trailer, one cage, one pallet, or even one box it’s illegal to run with your axle raised. It’s nothing to do with the axle loading apparently.
Or is it true and I’m talking tosh?

sent using smoke signals

If the VOSA man pulls you in and you go on the weighbridge with a full load of chippie trays for example and your axle is up…

They won’t care unless you are overweight on one or more axles in which case you are allowed a second weigh, round about this time would be a good idea to drop the axle before going back on the bridge.

No idea about the first part but it sounds like pish.

A.

At one time, if you wanted to " down rate " a vehicle, you had to physically alter it ( e.g. take a couple of leaves out of the springs etc. ). You then had to take it to an mot station who would inspect it and if the changes were acceptable would issue a new plating cert. You don’t have to alter the vehicle at all now, or get it inspected, you just ask for a new plating cert to be issued.
Regards. John.

mick.mh2racing:
Heard this very morning, if you down rate a unit/trailer from 38 tonnes to say 32 tonnes to save on tax you MUST run with a 4 X 2 unit. Running with a 6 x 2 with the lift axle up is illegal.
Same tale went on to say that if there’s anything in your trailer, one cage, one pallet, or even one box it’s illegal to run with your axle raised. It’s nothing to do with the axle loading apparently.
Or is it true and I’m talking tosh?

sent using smoke signals

Like all rumours there is probably some truth hidden deep down. I would suspect it would just be ‘silly to do it’ for the fuel waste of transporting 3/4 ton of lift axle around for no good reason.
But may be it is a case of ‘if it’s there you might use it’. They clamped down on Fast Trak type tractors for using twin fuel tanks, -one for red & one for duty’, for obvious reasons, but with that one they could always use the law covering traces of red found in the filter/fuel lines. but what law they could use for a three axle unit I have no idea.

a few years ago a vosa offical at bamber bridge told me that even if you had 1 empty pallet on the trailer or back of truck then the lift axle must be down, now another vosa offical at scotch corner told me that the lift axle could be raised aslong as the compensating axles were not over loaded so it seems that even they are unsure what the rights and wrongs were at that time with them

scotstrucker:
a few years ago a vosa offical at bamber bridge told me that even if you had 1 empty pallet on the trailer or back of truck then the lift axle must be down, now another vosa offical at scotch corner told me that the lift axle could be raised aslong as the compensating axles were not over loaded so it seems that even they are unsure what the rights and wrongs were at that time with them

Most of the VOSA fuds don’t know their hoop from their helmets never mind the laws they’re supposed to enforce.

My personal experience of this subject involves a very angry and rude person going to the extent of shouting and going completely ‘do you know who I am?!’* over a lift axle being up and one other axle being slightly overweight. She wasn’t even aware of the fact you are allowed a second weigh and that the axle can be down on that weigh.

It took her, actually quite reasonable, oppo around 10 minutes to calm her down and explain she was wrong while she stormed around shouting and swearing trying to figure out how to dish out the biggest fine she possibly could. Upon the second weigh and everything being fine, she was utterly livid. Quite hilarious to watch an icompetent thicko attempt to bully people who know more than them.

A.

*she wasn’t Ronnie Pickering.

scotstrucker:

the argument is just completely daft about ‘any-load’ what about an empty container on a skelly ? heck, for that matter an empty skelly is placing a load on the unit.

On new volvo units the lift axle puts itself down even when empty. I’ve put this down to the weight of the fridge motor.

sent using smoke signals

mick.mh2racing:
On new volvo units the lift axle puts itself down even when empty. I’ve put this down to the weight of the fridge motor.

sent using smoke signals

The T Range I used to drive was like that.

The axle would drop if you put an extra pillow on the bunk.