Radical plans for foreign lorries to be seized and destroyed

dailymail.co.uk/news/article … eized.html

Foreign truckers who ignore British laws will have their lorries seized and destroyed under new plans.

Gareth Llewellyn, of the Driver and Vehicle Standard’s Agency has drawn up proposals to crack down on overseas HGV drivers who flout UK regulations in plans expected to get approval from Transport Secretary Chris Grayling, The Sun reported.

The transport chief wants to see enforcement officers have the power to seize vehicles from European drivers, if they are found with false documents or in breach of British road laws.

This could result in their trucks being destroyed.

The volume of foreign HGV drivers in Britain has increased in recent years, with a rise up to 50 per cent in the past two years as firms chase cut-price delivery firms.

Jack Semple of the Road Haulage Association told The Sun: ‘We have seen a real sense of urgency at DVSA over the past few months which is very welcome. We support what they are trying to do.’

The RHA has been calling for a crackdown for the past four years – claiming that British hauliers are losing business to foreign rivals who flout safety rules and standards.

Currently transport chiefs have no power over foreign truckers when it comes to taking away their licences.

At the moment lorry drivers cannot stay on the road for more than 4.5 hours without a break.

And when they stop, it must be for 45 minutes while truckers cannot drive for more than nine hours a day or ten hours two days a week.

But the DSVA estimate 10,000 haulage operators pose a ‘risk’ to other road users.

The list represented one in eight transport firms. At the time, Gareth Llewellyn said the regulatory system was ‘ripe for review’.

All well and good but as said there’s quite a few British hauliers that are not angels either :wink:

Thought that has been going on for a while with foreign trucks… prohibition of further driving until fines paid by card machines etc.

I think this is known as “shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted”.

Ignoring the sentiment, for a moment, but that is a link to the “Mail” quoting the “Sun”. . . . . . When a newspaper reports a story maybe Ill take a bit of notice. After all, if there was an election due and the politicos and their supporters were after a few rousing stories then mayb. . . Saturday night. . .I cant be arsed. .

blue estate:
All well and good but as said there’s quite a few British hauliers that are not angels either :wink:

Indeed. I wonder if Semple of the old boys’ club that is the RHA will be as keen to see their trucks destroyed (as the Daily Outrage puts it) as he is the foreign motors that flout the law. Somehow, I doubt it.

I doubt many unsavory Euro operators would pay those fines. I reckon the DVSA would have a holding yard full of rotten old Dafs they’ve seized that would be destroyed periodontally as and when the time limit is up.

Does this include the Irish?
Reckon I’ll open a scrapyard/truck breakers somewhere between Cairnryan and Carlisle.

robroy:
Reckon I’ll open a scrapyard/truck breakers somewhere between Cairnryan and Carlisle.

Breaking all makes ,Milage Unknown :laughing:

robroy:

I thought that area was already one big scrapyard? :open_mouth:

Radar19:
I doubt many unsavory Euro operators would pay those fines. I reckon the DVSA would have a holding yard full of rotten old Dafs they’ve seized that would be destroyed periodontally as and when the time limit is up.

But that would be like a kick in the teeth for them wouldn`t it?

OK. Blame predictive text. :smiley:

Franglais:

Radar19:

I’m lexdixix, can’t spell well me.

Seems reasonable enough as impounding and loss of the vehicle is already an established method of penalty in Europe for significant infringements and probably a larger deterrent and fairer than hitting drivers probably being pressurised by operators.But why destroy it instead of just selling it. :confused:

Which leaves the question can we trust the government to implement such a draconian policy with reasonable discretion regarding the level of the offence ?.

Radar19:

Franglais:

Radar19:

Saturday night, i can`t well c let a lone raed a lott.

Franglais:

Radar19:

Franglais:

Radar19:

Saturday night, i can`t well c let a lone raed a lott.

What sauce we on tonight?

If it’s a whole bunch of Scanias floating around in some pound up by the golden triangle somewhere - perhaps we can all throw a brick or two at them? :stuck_out_tongue:

Punchy Dan:

robroy:

Breaking all makes ,Milage Unknown :laughing:

I’m afraid they will skip clean past this regulation too because they are considered UK firms (United Kingdom Of Great Britain and Northern Ireland), not foreign ones.

Unless you are thinking of the Southern Boys but very few of them run up this way.

Theres a very large compound near Reims, with a crusher installed would be ideal for squashing any Uk reg trucks with ‘infringements’… :sunglasses:

Customs and Excise used to seize all sorts of vehicles, no reason this couldn’t be run the same.
There was a huge compound just outside of Dover, when time expired those vehicles worth selling were transferred to auction, i collected a few loads out of there many moons ago, larger vehicles could be auctioned on site or via the net so buyer fronts recovery costs too.

As above i see no reason to destroy the vehicles at all, sell them on via auction so the system self finances and encourages inspectors to do their jobs thoroughly.

Vehicles can already be seized by DVSA I know of two in the last year for different offences. It is a hand me down to the Daily Mail from the Sun so should be taken with a bucket of salt. If the head of DVSA doesn’t know that they already have the power to seize vehicles then perhaps he should look elsewhere for employment