Harsher Penalties For Speeding, April 24th

shep532:
Interesting point about the headlights and speed.

I was talking to a Traffic cop who had been involved in a serious RTA whilst exceeding 70mph on an unlit stretch of motorway where he hit a car in lane 3. The injured parties were taking legal action based on the Police car having been travelling too fast for the distance he could see - which is one of the principals of their advanced driving techniques.

Apparently it is also being raised that his headlights were flashing/winking which limited his vision further.

The poor cop felt he had no support from his bosses but actually agreed the other party were correct - he couldn’t see very well and in the heat of the ‘chase’ was getting carried away with his speed. (Three figures I believe).

However - his Legal people were countering with the fact that on an unlit stretch of motorway, no car should be exceeding about 40mph because of limited headlight range and are now arguing motorways should, by default be lit and that the Government are at fault!!!

Unlit motorways at least were never intended to be used without minimising the use of dipped headlights.While as I’ve shown previously Germany has had no problems with the combination of 3 figure speeds and unlit motorways.Although ironically Belgium was always the best example of well lit motorways if drivers need it.