Harsher Penalties For Speeding, April 24th

AndrewG:

Carryfast:
To be fair France is no longer the driving utopia it once was

I must just be lucky then, 100kph through France for a very long time now has only resulted in two tickets. Some surfaces on many Bahns leave a lot to be desired but the 911 bri’geid still like to Vmax.The AR’s though are near perfect albeit with silly low limits…

The problem is,at least in the case of cars,is that the enforcement regime has changed massively while,even moreso than in the case of trucks,the limits were never a realistic reflection of the road design and traffic conditions.IE it was by the default of a very relaxed enforcement regime more or less similar to the speed regime on autobahns.With the RN’s also being quicker than anything found anywhere else in Europe in that regard.My theory is that it all seems to have changed with the development of the fast rail services.In that the choice between fast rail v quick car was/is a total no brainer until they started enforcing the 130 kmh limit to silly levels.

While Germany seems to have gone for a compromise ( so far ) of a speed regime which protects both the fast rail interests and their performance car manufacturing interests.By not imposing a total blanket motorway limit but not enough unlimited sections to create the required average speeds which would be perceived by the establishment as seriously threatening the fast rail operators.The reality being that even with the artificial handicaps it still makes far more sense to cross Europe with a quick car than all the aggro of using public transport then having to hire a car at the destination.:bulb:

shep532:
Interesting point about the headlights and speed.

I was talking to a Traffic cop who had been involved in a serious RTA whilst exceeding 70mph on an unlit stretch of motorway where he hit a car in lane 3. The injured parties were taking legal action based on the Police car having been travelling too fast for the distance he could see - which is one of the principals of their advanced driving techniques.

Apparently it is also being raised that his headlights were flashing/winking which limited his vision further.

The poor cop felt he had no support from his bosses but actually agreed the other party were correct - he couldn’t see very well and in the heat of the ‘chase’ was getting carried away with his speed. (Three figures I believe).

However - his Legal people were countering with the fact that on an unlit stretch of motorway, no car should be exceeding about 40mph because of limited headlight range and are now arguing motorways should, by default be lit and that the Government are at fault!!!

Unlit motorways at least were never intended to be used without minimising the use of dipped headlights.While as I’ve shown previously Germany has had no problems with the combination of 3 figure speeds and unlit motorways.Although ironically Belgium was always the best example of well lit motorways if drivers need it.

I’ve not had a problem of seeing other vehicles on an unlit motorway while (allegedly) exceeding the speed limit with dimmed headlights, those two red lights horizontally placed lights that you see in front of you way beyond the scope of your lights are of another vehicle !! Did you not know that ■■

Evil8Beezle:
And since when has an Austin Allegro ever done 100 mph? :confused:

When BL Cars introduced the Austin Allegro Equipe?

(Motor Road Test 36/79: flic.kr/p/8Qsym8 says 100mph max on the banked circuit and best ¼ mile max of 104.6mph. :wink: )

was the bint on the bonnet there for show,or to hold it in place and stop it rattling off? :open_mouth:

macplaxton:

Evil8Beezle:
And since when has an Austin Allegro ever done 100 mph? :confused:

When BL Cars introduced the Austin Allegro Equipe?

(Motor Road Test 36/79: flic.kr/p/8Qsym8 says 100mph max on the banked circuit and best ¼ mile max of 104.6mph. :wink: )

Will the mods remove this blatantly sexist image?