When did drivers become whiney little bitches?

And i don’t mean huddled on a rain swept quay side or a Somme resembling trailer park in the steel works type complaining about the job. I mean whining that the boss won’t buy you a microwave or fridge. Whining about the truck not having a sat nav. Whining about having to do a night out. Whining about a screen telling you that your not driving very wel. Whining about having to (help) unload your trailer.

Just enjoy doing the job you choose to do. Accept that truck driving is more than a 9 to 5 office drone or 6 to 2 shift factory slave job.
Try to imagine another job, and work like we do.
Office. Come at 9. You either clock in (called into office because you clocked in two minutes late, or five minutes early). Log into computer. Every move then timed, and monitored. Toilet break’s timed and monitored. Sigarrete break’s timed and monitored. Made to stand outside on pavement, in the rain, to smoke. Given foul looks by other colleagues who don’t smoke. Tea breaks timed and monitored. Lunch break at desk (timed and monitored), or get more foul looks from colleagues who work through break. Given more work in intray, despite previous work not done. No limit on work that can be allocated.
Think of everything you despise in other people. You will have colleagues who are those people. They will come and bore you with their stories about family, disease, last night in the pub, weekend in winde!Mere, golfing, that ■■■■■ from accounts… you must be polite, or you will find yourself talking to the H.R. manager. You can not swear in the office (bit like here), because of the fragile souls (bit like here). You will look at the clock every 5 minutes, thinking it was 30. You will dread every day, knowing that it is the same mind numbing tedium tomorrow, and the day after, and the day after…

Factory. Clock in. In office being spoken to like a spxxxic toddler for clocking in two minutes late. Made to stand at a machine, and be the slave of that machine, till tea break. Work at speed of machine. Either very fast, or mind numbingly​ slow. Tea break long enough to walk to machine, queue for beverage, but not to drink beverage. Lunch break long enough to unwrap sandwiches, but not to eat all sandwiches. Surrounded by colleagues who have been beaten by years of monotonous tedium, silently going through the motions untill deaths final comforting embrace.

Shop worker. Do i really need to go on?

Things can always be better. But could also be worse. Remember, you choose to get that licence. You choose to do a job that has long hours. You choose a job with nights away from home. You choose… because you are lucky to have that choice. Factory workers didn’t choose. They have no choice. Just imagine, if you will, that tomorrow you loose (god forbid) your HGV entitlement. And the only job available is a warehouse job at Sports Direct. On a zero hours contract. Then come back, and whine that your boss won’t buy you a ■■■■■■■ microwave.

Totally agree mate…but the fact is,moaning is like a pressure relief valve,if you don’t do it regularly,you blow up :wink:

Drivers…

Only happy when they’re moaning.

Baggie:
Totally agree mate…but the fact is,moaning is like a pressure relief valve,if you don’t do it regularly,you blow up :wink:

This applies to other things too :laughing: .

A fridge and a microwave, should be a basic for a driver if tramping, I don’t see how they can be considered moaning in that instance. However the rest well you half whined :smiley:

the nodding donkey:
And i don’t mean huddled on a rain swept quay side or a Somme resembling trailer park in the steel works type complaining about the job. I mean whining that the boss won’t buy you a microwave or fridge. Whining about the truck not having a sat nav. Whining about having to do a night out. Whining about a screen telling you that your not driving very wel. Whining about having to (help) unload your trailer.

Just enjoy doing the job you choose to do. Accept that truck driving is more than a 9 to 5 office drone or 6 to 2 shift factory slave job.
Try to imagine another job, and work like we do.
Office. Come at 9. You either clock in (called into office because you clocked in two minutes late, or five minutes early). Log into computer. Every move then timed, and monitored. Toilet break’s timed and monitored. Sigarrete break’s timed and monitored. Made to stand outside on pavement, in the rain, to smoke. Given foul looks by other colleagues who don’t smoke. Tea breaks timed and monitored. Lunch break at desk (timed and monitored), or get more foul looks from colleagues who work through break. Given more work in intray, despite previous work not done. No limit on work that can be allocated.
Think of everything you despise in other people. You will have colleagues who are those people. They will come and bore you with their stories about family, disease, last night in the pub, weekend in winde!Mere, golfing, that ■■■■■ from accounts… you must be polite, or you will find yourself talking to the H.R. manager. You can not swear in the office (bit like here), because of the fragile souls (bit like here). You will look at the clock every 5 minutes, thinking it was 30. You will dread every day, knowing that it is the same mind numbing tedium tomorrow, and the day after, and the day after…

Factory. Clock in. In office being spoken to like a spxxxic toddler for clocking in two minutes late. Made to stand at a machine, and be the slave of that machine, till tea break. Work at speed of machine. Either very fast, or mind numbingly​ slow. Tea break long enough to walk to machine, queue for beverage, but not to drink beverage. Lunch break long enough to unwrap sandwiches, but not to eat all sandwiches. Surrounded by colleagues who have been beaten by years of monotonous tedium, silently going through the motions untill deaths final comforting embrace.

Shop worker. Do i really need to go on?

Things can always be better. But could also be worse. Remember, you choose to get that licence. You choose to do a job that has long hours. You choose a job with nights away from home. You choose… because you are lucky to have that choice. Factory workers didn’t choose. They have no choice. Just imagine, if you will, that tomorrow you loose (god forbid) your HGV entitlement. And the only job available is a warehouse job at Sports Direct. On a zero hours contract. Then come back, and whine that your boss won’t buy you a [zb] microwave.

Great post ND

discoman:
A fridge and a microwave, should be a basic for a driver if tramping, I don’t see how they can be considered moaning in that instance. However the rest well you half whined :smiley:

This.

DonutUK:

discoman:

This.

And …

I love to hear a truck driver moan.

But in essence it’s the arrival of the ‘entitled society’, not limited to Mr and Mrs BMWAudi[zb]youinthearseyouspunkbucket[zb]stain.

Also truckers with their bleating and squealing.

Well I’ve got a non-driving job in a factory and its none of those things. It depends on your employer and in my case its a small company who put its workers first. It does mean the owner isn’t driving round in a 67 plate prestige car and works his ■■■■ off but staff turnover is extremely low and it looks like the last person who left did so about half a decade ago and the only reason people get a job there is because of company growth.

There is no clocking on/off machine, breaks aren’t monitored and you can use the tea machine as you want, you can take time off for appointments without having to repay it back and I actually got bollocked for working into my lunch hour because I was at a point on a job I wanted to get done before I stopped. My job isn’t the same two days running other than starting at 9am, finishing at 5 with an hour for lunch. I’m currently off sick on full pay for a few days as my back went titsup again. I don’t have to phone in as I told them on Tuesday I’d need the rest of the week off. If there is a downside its that there’s no music to listen to and the pay isn’t the greatest in the world for the job it is but I’ll take the working conditions over the money any time.

I could actually take most of the negative points of the original post and apply it to lorry driving.

I guess that you are just one of life’s winners Conor. You had the best driving job in the world ever and now you’ve slipped seamlessly into the worlds best non driving job. Jeez, some guys get all the luck.

yourhavingalarf:
Drivers…

Only happy when they’re moaning.

A whinge.

That’s the OED collective noun for a group of drivers…

I know what you are saying ND, but not every driver has a job that is easy going and free.
I’m ok on that score to be fair, as I would assume you and a few more on here are, but many other drivers are constantly watched, tracked and monitored by some little spotty arsed kid in an office, to the point of ringing and actually asking ‘‘Why did you stop there’’ or ‘‘What did you go that way for’’ :open_mouth:
I would personally tell him to go and ■■■■ himself, but many do not, and are harrassed to death by these type of tossers all day every day
Pushing them on the phone every half hour asking for ETAs and the like, changing plans and all the rest of the ways to make their existence as miserable as ■■■■. :smiling_imp:

Then when they get back to the yard, have to go through all this ■■■■ ‘‘debrief’’ crap :unamused: , which presumably makes the said spotty arsed kid feel he is doing something important.

So driving aint all rosy for everybody mate, and to add insult to injury not only are they getting all this type of ag in the same way as factory or office workers, but their days of grief are between 5 and 7 hours longer than what the others have to endure, AND maybe even getting paid the same for the longer hours as the 8 hour men.

As I said I’m ok as far as all that ■■■■ goes, so no probs really at the moment, but if I had to endure all that as a driver, I reckon 8 hours in an warehouse to 15 hours constant harrassment in a truck, would be an attractive alternative, I would just have my headphones on all day to avoid all the crap you mention.

Moaning is what truck drivers do best! You aren’t a trucker if you don’t moan about something.

The delicious irony here is that the OP is having a whinge about drivers that whinge… :laughing:

Virtually all your examples are your perception of those other jobs and not actually reality in the vast number of cases.

A bit like the way those other workers you’re talking about think all truck drivers are thick, overweight, tattooed idiots that are too thick to do anything else but sit in a truck … And we all know drivers aren’t all like that don’t we? :open_mouth:

Drivers having to do “cycle training” as part of FORS and DCPC is perfectly justified. To be safe driving a truck, you have to ride a bike. Utter ■■■■■■■■.
A personal one for me is the fact that one of our customerd was ringing me at 7am this morning when I’d told them that I was having the day off and that the 8w was off the road for repair and inspection.

I know the type of spotty arsed kid in the office, he had arranged a safety inspection for every driver…so after doing a few farm collections one day, returned to base and backed on the bay for off loading, and went to the office with the papers, as i returned to my truck, i noticed a stranger with a hi viz at the side…so i said hi…as you do…and was about to get into the cab when he told me to wait…said he wants to see me get into the cab, to see if i do it right…so i ignored him and got in…he then said he wants me to get out so he could observe me…i ignored him…he said…are you ignoring me…i said yes…he said ok, im gonna report you to the office..i said do what you like..so after 5 minutes he returns with snotty arsed kid from the office, Ray, this gentleman is here to do a safety check on drivers..oh yeah i said, whats that involve..getting in and out of the cab, dropping a trailer..picking up the trailer..closing the doors..and a couple of other things to do with safety in the depot..so i said, can you tell him to F off.or shall i..what..snotty said..i said, i was driving trucks before your father was born, ive been in this industry for over 50 years, if i dont know how to do all the things you are asking me to do, then ive been doing it wrong for all that time..so ill tell him myself…F…OFF…leave me alone…and they both did…so once again…snotty had an idea he thought was great…i never…but there were lots of drivers who did take part…but most of those had brown noses anyway… :smiley: :smiley:

the nodding donkey:

Well the office I work in, apart from the smokers in the Jack McConnell Lounge, is the exact opposite of everything you have put there.
Fragile souls don’t tend to last too long in our part of the office. :smiling_imp:

Too many spoilt brats, alot at our place, refuse to do nights out, then if their job depends on it, they change their tune. Refusing to get on the back of a fridge to pump barrow, can’t do more than 12 hours cause of the kids. You don’t like it, go back to set hours in an office or factory.

the type you see moaning about everything are the type that would moan in any job they do.

You know the type, they could have the job of using their face for Jennifer Annistons personal chair but would still find something to whinge about :laughing: :laughing: