Metall load secure

How to to correct strap this load.I had metall with 4000 kg weigh each.My strap have label who can keep 5 tonn.Must just put over or better put strap via inside of load and connect end of strap to one side of trailer■■?

That is the wrong way to secure the load.
You have to imagine what will happen if the wooden chocks under the metal fail.
If the chocks fail, the metal will roll out of the trailer curtains and kill somebody .
In the photo, the only thing stopping it rolling out, is two ratchet straps ON TOP of the metal .
You can not rely on the chocks.
I would have put the straps over the metal and then underneath it, like a loop, so where the ratchet hook are, and the handle of the strap , where you tension it, are on the same side of the trailer.
Repeat above sequence, for straps stopping it rolling the other way .
Strap the front and back of the metal, this now covers side,back,lateral and forward movement in an emergency braking .
If your load fell on a car, cyclist or pedestrian, it won’t end well .

Looks fine to me, might consider nailing the wood down for belt an braces approach.

Can’t disagree with Toby’s method as it would be more secure but to much of a faff for me.

An additional two straps through the centre of the coils pulling down each side would be considered though.

Id go for one strap each side thro the centre in a barrel hitch, plus one barrel hitched over the middle. Ill try and get piccie or diagram up to explain that.
EDIT: make sure there`s no sharp edges to cut into strap of course.

At 4 tonne each I’d have a minimum 3 straps on both. You always have to think a strap might fail so cover that possibility. Go completely around the coil over the top then underneath it and back over the top so you have the ratchet handle on one side and the hook on the opposite side of the trailer. Hook onto the chassis where possible. After a few miles check the tension on the straps. And from a legal point of view the pallet structure the steel is mounted on MUST be strong enough to take the load.

I’d prefer them sideways so I could put a chain through the middle. Failing that I’d put three straps on each a la barrel hitch with the front and back ones pulling one way and the middle pulling the opposite way.

I’d do it that way not because I’m a H&S ■■■■, I’d do it that way because I’m paid by the hour and I hate filling out accident forms and paperwork; four tonne moving about would not be pretty.

I fondly remember the days when we would chuck a tarpaulin over that, and tie it down with ropes. If I would have asked my boss then for ratchet straps, he’d have had kittens… :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

Oh, and unless something has recently changed, if they see you using chains on coils, they’ll have a fit.

the nodding donkey:
I fondly remember the days when we would chuck a tarpaulin over that, and tie it down with ropes. If I would have asked my boss then for ratchet straps, he’d have had kittens… :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

pmsl :laughing:

Franglais:
Id go for one strap each side thro the centre in a barrel hitch, plus one barrel hitched over the middle. Ill try and get piccie or diagram up to explain that.
EDIT: make sure there`s no sharp edges to cut into strap of course.

Bottom images show a cross section of coil. Pass one end through centre. Pass free end through loop created in slack of hooked end. Pull back and tighten. repeat for both sides of course, only one side shown.
The good thing about barrel hitches is they can pull forward and back equally, so holding the load firmly in place. A row of straps over the top can (maybe only slightly) tend to pull the load in the direction of the tensioner. This due to the strap having friction against the surface of the load.
A barrel hitch over the top will both hold the load down, giving more friction against the bed, and also hold the wooden wedges/scotches against the steel roll.
Looking at the pictures it appears the wooden pallet is longer than the roll? If so a strap passing over the pallet and around the front of the roll, pulling the load “backwards” will help restrain it in case of emergency braking.
I wouldnt say any other methods are totally wrong, thats just how I`d start to look at it.

Wrong trailer put it on a coil carrier! :smiley:

I’m not saying that your wrong , but I do wonder how we managed to get around years ago, without the verges being littered with loads fallen of lorries…

The method Andrejs has secured it, in my opinion looks road legal to me and the Dvsa enforcement unit .
Maybe four to five straps on each coil for peace of mind .
The OP has done the right thing by asking .
Every driver has their own way of securing loads .

the nodding donkey:
I’m not saying that your wrong , but I do wonder how we managed to get around years ago, without the verges being littered with loads fallen of lorries…

180 Gardner, no power steering, cross ply tyres. . . . Maybe we went slower round the bends?

Franglais:

the nodding donkey:

180 Gardner, no power steering, cross ply tyres. . . . Maybe we went slower round the bends?

Oi, I’m not THAT old :blush:

But you hit the nail on the head. It’s about how you drive.

The night trunks between Port Talbot and Queens ferry used to be good fun. Job and knock too… :blush: :cry: :laughing:

What would concern me about the strapping is the potential for sliding forward if the trailer comes to an abrupt stop. All that’s stopping those stillages from moving is friction between wood and wood.

At 4000kg each, using overstraps as shown in the OP you would require around 17 - 20 straps with an STF of 350daN.

As shown in the OP picture, that load will easily slide in any direction. This two straps are only providing a downward force of about 700daN (700 kg) to try and stop 4000kg sliding.

It just shows people are guessing how to secure a load yet there is good information available as well as British Standard calculations to work out how many straps are needed.

This who have mentioned some kind of spring lashing or direct lashing are along the right lines, but those straps shown are only LC2500daN and not 5t as stated.

shep532:
At 4000kg each, using overstraps as shown in the OP you would require around 17 - 20 straps with an STF of 350daN.

As shown in the OP picture, that load will easily slide in any direction. This two straps are only providing a downward force of about 700daN (700 kg) to try and stop 4000kg sliding.

It just shows people are guessing how to secure a load yet there is good information available as well as British Standard calculations to work out how many straps are needed.

This who have mentioned some kind of spring lashing or direct lashing are along the right lines, but those straps shown are only LC2500daN and not 5t as stated.

And to add, I just realised that, judging by the position of the load rating label, the strap is not hooked to the chassis, but to the edge of the deck.

shep532:

That ignores the weight of the load itself doesnt it? Thatll be 4,000kg for a 4,000kg mass.
engineeringtoolbox.com/frict … d_778.html
This shows a co-efficient of friction of 0.25 to 0.5 for wood against wood. Assuming the lower figure youd need a down force (normal reaction) of 16,000kg to stop movement due to friction alone during a 1g stop. 4,000kg from weight leaves 12,000kg down force needed from the straps. What angle do they pass over the load? 45degrees?? Agreed, straps should be attached to the chassis, not just the rave. Chains are better of course, as others have said, but probably not allowed due to load damage risks. My suggestion of using straps to pull load backwards goes some way to addressing this Id say.
Feel free to question and correct my workings and assumptions. Wont be the first time Ive got it all wrong.

Bloody hell id have tipped and reloaded before you pair had calculated your friction coefficient witchcraft… :wink:

4 straps on the front one, prolly some nails for luck and 2 straps and nails on the rest, may not even bother with nails to be fair.
Drive to the load, try and avoid crashing into stuff, react defensively to the actions of other road users, expect the unexpected and crack on.

Course the buck stops with the driver so each to their own.