How dose the ADR thing work

So if I wanted to work for a bulk fuel depot delivering derv to haulage yard gas oil to farms and heating oil to houses etc.
Then How dose it all work; What training, certificates and skills would I need?
Sorry I have never looked at ADR course before

You just go on a 4 or 5 day course and hand over £500** and job done, assuming that you pass it.
**that figure is off the top of my head, its probably substantially more than that now.
IIRC, if you want explosives and radioactive on your card, that’s an extra course and extra ££££
Don’t do what I did 20 years ago, go on the course spending £400 and never using it letting it expire.

OK so it dose not tell you how to rig up pipes to tankers ect. it is just a class room based lecture on EU legislation

It’s all classroom based. The hands on training is given by the employer later. As a minimum you’ll need to ask for the modules Core, Tanks and Class 3 for fuel work like you’ve described.

khdgsa:
It’s all classroom based. The hands on training is given by the employer later. As a minimum you’ll need to ask for the modules Core, Tanks and Class 3 for fuel work like you’ve described.

I can’t add anything to this great VFM suggestion. :smiley:

:bulb: Contrary to popular belief, an ADR course is quite customisable to a person or company’s needs.

the thing is will there by many tanker driving job?
especilly at the cold time of year for heating oil

If all you are after is heating oil then you could deal with it in a few days. You would need the Core Module, flammable liquids Class 3 and the Tanker module. Depending on where you are collecting it out of you might need a Petroleum Drivers Passport too because I understand a lot of the refinery sites have put a blanket requirement in place but I think the employer has to put you through that.

As for training on connections and controls, that should be handled by the employer.

Tom Cobbles:

Before you spend the money it maybe worth making enquiries to see if there actually any jobs out there doing this kinda thing.
I know its long time ago and maybe things have changed but I spent 2 weeks busting my balls heaving those huge calour gas propane bottles on and off a tail lift and got sod all at the end of it.
On fuel tankers especially, it seemed that the only way you got a start was if it was dead mans shoes or you had a relative already in the job.
As I say, maybe its changed now.
Good luck.

Gembo:

Tom Cobbles:

Before you spend the money it maybe worth making enquiries to see if there actually any jobs out there doing this kinda thing.
I know its long time ago and maybe things have changed but I spent 2 weeks busting my balls heaving those huge calour gas propane bottles on and off a tail lift and got sod all at the end of it.
On fuel tankers especially, it seemed that the only way you got a start was if it was dead mans shoes or you had a relative already in the job.
Good luck.

Well thats some interesting points Gembo
Thanks

So am I correct in thinking that to do tanker work you had or have to be part of the singing and dancing (right note and beat) goody goody jobs for the boys club?
But what about delivering calor gas bottle, you know those 47kg big bottles you roll like oxygen bottles (or what ever make they where) what happened after the 2 weeks of doing that?
Did the regular driver come back to the work or did you find it to much physical strain for you?

Gas cylinders come under packages class in adr and LPG tanker would be class 2.
Has others have said find out who the companies are around you and would it be worth the investment for a ADR course.
The heating oil & LPG companies usually take extra drivers on over the winter period.
Another thing to consider is are you comfortable with driving down single track lanes, unsealed roads, tight reversing and working outside in all weathers?

We move explosives all year round.

If I have a driver without an ADR that I think is a better fit with the company than a driver with an ADR whom I’m not so sure of, the ADR ticket is neither here nor there.

Maybe it’s because no-one has ADR Class 1 that I expect to put new starts through anyway.

ADR costs about £450 round my way (South East) for a 5 day course, i think thats reasonable altho you need a week off to do it, i intend to do it in the next break between jobs or maybe take a weeks holidays.

It is not just for fuels but is useful in logistics for flammable deliveries, paints, thinners, cleaning chemicals etc.

It is a cheap way to get an extra string on your bow especially if you are on agency where some of them pay a pound or two an hour over regular rate due to shortages of ADR drivers in some areas.

Course also counts towards CPC so you will get another 5 years of that also.

I have been told the course needs some effort to pass but most people do…

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Tom Cobbles:

Gembo:

Tom Cobbles:

Good luck.

Well thats some interesting points Gembo
Thanks

So am I correct in thinking that to do tanker work you had or have to be part of the singing and dancing (right note and beat) goody goody jobs for the boys club?
But what about delivering calor gas bottle, you know those 47kg big bottles you roll like oxygen bottles (or what ever make they where) what happened after the 2 weeks of doing that?
Did the regular driver come back to the work or did you find it to much physical strain for you?

I gota job to remember now but I do remember heaving around those big 47KG propane bottles for a couple of weeks for an agency as temp cover. I’ve always done heavy manual work all my life but even though I was only 30 at the time, those gas bottles were a ball ache all day.
I tried to get a start on tankers but every where I tried didn’t wana know unless I already had experience in the job (like so much of this stuff).But you did get the impression that it was a little click you had to be born into.
In the end I gave up and my ADR expired.
As I say, don’t gauge it on my experience , things may have changed, it was a long time ago.

Tony Res:

It doesn’t automatically count for DCPC. Only if the course is approved and usually only if you pay extra for it. It would also only count for a maximum of 4 7 hour blocks of training because you don’t do 7 hours of class room learning on exam day. Most providers also don’t get the Tanks module CPC approved because fewer people take it.

nsmith1180:

Tony Res:

It doesn’t automatically count for DCPC. Only if the course is approved and usually only if you pay extra for it. It would also only count for a maximum of 4 7 hour blocks of training because you don’t do 7 hours of class room learning on exam day. Most providers also don’t get the Tanks module CPC approved because fewer people take it.

Its quite ironic really. DCPC is a joke whereas ADR you are actually trained and learn something worthwhile yet it doesn’t count towards DCPC.

I would be looking to take it in an approved course centre so it did count, i got 14 hours from my Class 2 training last year at no extra cost so another 4 x 7 will put me over for the next 5 years CPC…

With the explosives , we get 28 hours. We did ADR anyway, so in honesty the DCPC thing doesn’t make any odds to me.

Basicley you pay £600 every five years for the course for your employer to pay you 10p an hour more to drive a bomb simples

I have two subbies, both them and us pay for the drivers to do the ADR.

Dose it what happens when ADR catches fire…
Presumably spelling isn’t and random capitulation isn’t on the ADR or CPC then…