Overtime

I started driving class 2 motors with the firm a few months ago, agency at first, being paid overtime after 8 hours, then on a casual basis, overtime paid at basic rate, but as the base rate was higher than the agency base rate I agreed to ■■■■ it and see, even though it went against the grain for overtime being paid at time and a half after 8 hours, and as of the beginning of the year full time, salaried with no overtime payments. I thought I would give it a try for a few month’s, monitor the hours worked and come to a conclusion as to stay or not.
The people are fine and dandy, a decent manager, good crew to work with, no nights out, the job is local and I enjoy the work and go out of my way to be compliant with their requests, the kit is not the newest and you do get mucky from time to time though.

So here’s the rub, a meeting was had during which the drivers are offered overtime, at base rate, as the manager wants to pay us overtime as he recognizes that the historically quiet time of year is busier than normal, this would mean a change of contract, and I haven’t signed my original one yet, I piped up that if overtime is being offered I would need time and a half, ‘that is not an option’, I was told, although they do pay time and a half for Saturday working.

As a casual I worked 46 hours on average, contracted hours for them is 42.
As a salaried worker with little data to go on, my average hours are 48, with no o/t pay.
Overall average as casual and salaried is 46 hours during the busy ‘quiet’ period, there’s no telling what this will increase to during the busy summer months, but using these figures I calculate that over a year I would be giving the company approx 160 hours of free labour, if this was paid at time it comes to £1505 and at time and a half it comes to £2.258. I’m tempted to give them a month’s notice as I feel they are exploiting their drivers. as most firms seem to do now, I’m just not happy with the thought of working o/t for anything less than time and a half.

I don’t consider myself to be militant, but the whole overtime malarky really gets my goat.
Any thoughts or other views on this or your own situations?

I recently transferred from Fed ex express to FedEx uk at Express after 40 hours it was time and half for ot at fedex uk the ot rate is less than normal hourly rate whatever union rep agreed to that needs sacking I don’t do ot but feel for the guys who do

So your basic is £9.38 per hour which is more than a lot of class 1 driver get, could you name your company on here when you leave so someone in your area can apply for what seems like on good job.

mac12:
So your basic is £9.38 per hour which is more than a lot of class 1 driver get, could you name your company on here when you leave so someone in your area can apply for what seems like on good job.

Gold star to you for doing you’re sums correctly, the hourly rate is not the issue, and it is a good job on the whole.
What is your o/t ratio and do you agree with the falling rates in the industry?

If you do jack in because of the overtime issue then you will probably find that it is becoming the norm for OT to be paid at nowhere near time-and-a-half. There are companies, and lots of them, who pay one rate regardless of whether you’re doing an 0600-1400 shift on a Monday or a 2100-0900 starting on a Saturday night.

Time and a half after eight is becoming part of the past unless you are happy to play the perilous agency game. Jacking a good job because of it seems a bit OTT to me.

yamrider:

mac12:

Gold star to you for doing you’re sums correctly, the hourly rate is not the issue, and it is a good job on the whole.
What is your o/t ratio and do you agree with the falling rates in the industry?

Being on agency it’s becoming very hard to get overtime now, it’s nearly always one rate straight though. Overtime is not always good it depends how much your basic is you can have a driver working 40 hours for £8 and 20 ours for £12 so £560 or another driver on £10 for same 60 so gets £600 or £40 more now whats best. Regarding falling pay rates I won’t work for less than £10 per hour but while drivers keep taking jobs paying the NMW or less for class 1 more firms are going to keep offering it and no one can blame them.

If overtime isn’t paid at an enhance rate, AND you’re not salaried (this is important), then your holidays must be paid at an average of what you work.

So for example, if your normal day is 8hrs, but you actually do 10hrs per day, then your holiday pay will be based on the 10hrs and not the 8hrs.

HOWEVER, if you’re salaried for 8hrs per day and don’t get any overtime pay, then your holidays will be 8hrs.

ALSO HOWEVER, if you get an enhanced rate after 8hrs, then your holidays will be 8hrs per day.

Bank holidays are seperate and are always paid at the basic rate.

Olog Hai:
If you do jack in because of the overtime issue then you will probably find that it is becoming the norm for OT to be paid at nowhere near time-and-a-half. There are companies, and lots of them, who pay one rate regardless of whether you’re doing an 0600-1400 shift on a Monday or a 2100-0900 starting on a Saturday night.

Time and a half after eight is becoming part of the past unless you are happy to play the perilous agency game. Jacking a good job because of it seems a bit OTT to me.

So is the general attitude is one of ‘we don’t like it, but we’ll accept it’, for the sake of job security?
Is shareholders and companies making profit’s off of workers o/t rates being reduced no longer seen as an exploitative practice, surely this is why o/t was brought in in the first place.
I agree with your comments on the agency game, and yes maybe I’m being to touchy on the o/t rate, but coming from a job that last year was secure, paid o/t at a decent rate, to see the work tail off and then end up being offered a zero hours contract and then leaving, this experience has come as a surprise, maybe I need to wake up and smell the coffee??

Stuff that find a job that does not mug you off. Don’t listen to the namby pambys on here that would do anything I’m 13 an hour all 0T is time and half. Anything less then they could poke it. Or I wouldn’t even apply for job. The more people that take it the worse this industry becomes :exclamation:

yamrider:
So is the general attitude is one of ‘we don’t like it, but we’ll accept it’, for the sake of job security?
Is shareholders and companies making profit’s off of workers o/t rates being reduced no longer seen as an exploitative practice, surely this is why o/t was brought in in the first place.

For job security, you are most likely to be absolutely right.

HGV driving, despite what some like to think, is not a skilled job, and in the majority of cases, if a driver leaves they will have someone else doing his job within a day or two, unless they really are one of these firms who are ‘employers of last resort’. For many firms a driver leaving is not a major thing because it happening is as much a part of the trucking business as buying diesel is. They’ll soon find another. Drivers in the main know this, and so haven’t really got a leg to stand on when it comes to demanding things like time and a half after eight, early finishes on Fridays and so on.

In the current climate the employer calls the shots, not the employee… which again, is contrary to what some others on here would like to think.

This is getting more and more common, companies will only pay one rate regardless of how many hours you do, its nothing to do with the current climate its all to do with greedy companies knowing that there is a glut of drivers and if you don’t like it you know where the door is, the influx of drivers does not help and neither does new drivers who decide on a change of career after being made redundant in a factory or office, the fact is there is a glut of drivers willing to do the job for whatever rate it is - even min wage on a 44 tonner, saying that not all companies are the same and some do treat drivers with some respect, agencies are just parasites mainly as seen on the news last night about selling accident cover to their “workforce”, another example is charging people to process their wages.
No one can advise you what to do, it is a personal choice my friend and needs must.

waynedl:
If overtime isn’t paid at an enhance rate, AND you’re not salaried (this is important), then your holidays must be paid at an average of what you work.

So for example, if your normal day is 8hrs, but you actually do 10hrs per day, then your holiday pay will be based on the 10hrs and not the 8hrs.

HOWEVER, if you’re salaried for 8hrs per day and don’t get any overtime pay, then your holidays will be 8hrs.

ALSO HOWEVER, if you get an enhanced rate after 8hrs, then your holidays will be 8hrs per day.

Is that 110% correct Wayne?? I worked for an agency for 3 years doin 60+ hours a week and we were just on flat rate no matter how many hours we done. So should my holiday pay have been worked out on doin 60+ hours a week?? On our laughing(pay)slips, it would say 40 hours at X amount and then it would say 20 hours over time at X amount, but both rates were the same.

Can I claim what I’d lost out on if you are right in what you say??

topmixer11:
Stuff that find a job that does not mug you off. Don’t listen to the namby pambys on here that would do anything I’m 13 an hour all 0T is time and half. Anything less then they could poke it. Or I wouldn’t even apply for job. The more people that take it the worse this industry becomes :exclamation:

That’s all well and good mate and goodluck to you, but if someone hasn’t got any of the decent paying companies local too them, what are they supposed to do, just sit at home poncing of the social because there ain’t a firm who pays overtime locally■■?

selby newcomer:

waynedl:

Is that 110% correct Wayne?? I worked for an agency for 3 years doin 60+ hours a week and we were just on flat rate no matter how many hours we done. So should my holiday pay have been worked out on doin 60+ hours a week?? On our laughing(pay)slips, it would say 40 hours at X amount and then it would say 20 hours over time at X amount, but both rates were the same.

Can I claim what I’d lost out on if you are right in what you say??

As long as you weren’t ‘self employed’, or other such crap, and only 5 days per week count - used to say mon-fri but obviously that’s gone in current times.

It’s classed as casual work or irregular hours, and you accrue holiday per hour worked rather than per day.

A lot of ‘zero hour’ contracts work like this too

waynedl:

Just out of interest where does that info come from?

bjd:

waynedl:

Just out of interest where does that info come from?

I was told this by the company I worked for, it was a change in the regulations quite a few years ago.

Also, if you go onto the government website, it’ll tell you on there and there’s also a calculator which will tell you how many holiday hours you’ve accrued.

I will add though, I’m not 100% sure how a contract would affect this, ie if contract says “28 days holiday - paid at 8hrs per day” then it might over-ride it?

ACAS website:
Workers with no normal working hours:

• � If a worker has no normal working hours then a week’s pay is the average
    pay received over the preceding 12 weeks. Any week for which no pay was
    due should be replaced by the last previous week for which pay was due.

Olog Hai:

yamrider:

For job security, you are most likely to be absolutely right.

HGV driving, despite what some like to think, is not a skilled job, and in the majority of cases, if a driver leaves they will have someone else doing his job within a day or two, unless they really are one of these firms who are ‘employers of last resort’. For many firms a driver leaving is not a major thing because it happening is as much a part of the trucking business as buying diesel is. They’ll soon find another. Drivers in the main know this, and so haven’t really got a leg to stand on when it comes to demanding things like time and a half after eight, early finishes on Fridays and so on.

In the current climate the employer calls the shots, not the employee… which again, is contrary to what some others on here would like to think.

Lol, job security aspect was one of the reasons my manager gave for us accepting new contract/rates, standard operating practice for a manager I guess?.
I understand the job’s not skilled and that there are plenty who would regard my salary as good money, it might be if the hours were 42 per week. In my old fashioned way of thinking, the hourly rate goes down the more hours you work, FFS, even my wife is on their side, and she is skilled!
I really object to being made to drop my trousers and bend over, think I might ■■■■, just before I get shafted :smiling_imp:

We are just about to go from a crap £1.80 extra ph OT to £5.10 extra ph OT.

Thank you GMB union :sunglasses:

But then I’m constantly told, supermarket work is ■■■■ :stuck_out_tongue:

George@ASDA driver:

But then I’m constantly told, supermarket work is [zb] :stuck_out_tongue:

And you should read into this that maybe companies are actually struggling to get/keep drivers? Conversation I had yesterday would seem to back that up. Canute paying £13 ph and O/T at time and a half suggests that too. They were always looking for drivers because the money wasn’t clever.

George@ASDA driver:

But then I’m constantly told, supermarket work is [zb] :stuck_out_tongue:

AT LAST people standing up for themselves rather than OH WELL AT LEAST I GOTTA JOB WELL DONE THAT MAN more of You needed then the job becomes important again . Hope others reading this might actually make a stand rather than arching right over and touching their toes if you get what I mean . I was asked last night to stop on for 5 hours didn’t even have too think abt it at nigh on 20 an hour :exclamation: