I quit

albion:
That’s what we try to do, meet in the middle with the drivers. Just annoys me that in Rjans eyes, every boss is out to screw their staff. :imp:

I’m not so hard line. :laughing:

But I have to say counter-examples are few, and flagrant examples are many. I wouldn’t expect it to be otherwise, because fairness and generosity cost money (as do many other desirable qualities), and the competitive market (which so much political policy and deregulation of late has been designed to encourage) exists to drive out all those qualities from the marketplace (either by hurting profits until bosses who would like to be fair or generous accept new ways, or by literally bankrupting bosses who won’t change their ways, so that people with those convictions are over time eliminated from the boss class and exploitation reigns).

The people who most naturally fit into that role are shafters by nature who don’t face a moral challenge in the first place - and there are plenty of these about - but of course even for those that do, the relations of competition dictate that you either shaft in the marketplace or be shafted. In a market with a welter of suppliers and chains of subcontractors (as typically characterises haulage, though perhaps not every crack and corner of it), it only takes one large commercial customer to be determined to shaft suppliers upstream, and to manage to yoke several of them into competition with one another, that any standards amongst those upstream suppliers will be driven down, and recalcitrants driven out of the marketplace.

P Stoff’s anecdote demonstrates that. The person hiring him did not set out to ask what he could afford to pay, or what was fair to pay in consideration of the productivity and profits of the operation, but how little he could get away with paying, keeping the rest for himself. It was only when he felt the pain of hiring someone at less than 2/3 the going rate of a good worker, that he decided that he had kept far too much for himself, and that the pay had to go up significantly - and evidently, his resources allowed him to do so without much quibble. He did not change because he saw the light, but because he felt the heat.