And we wonder why we have a bad name

robroy:

EddieMD:
I know I’m gonna get slated for this but I really think it’s getting ridiculous at the amount of things were being told we can and can’t do because someone thinks it’s wrong. Maybe it us wrong but every so often someone in government decides we need a new law cos if something usually high profile. How many accidents are there on the road and what percentage are actually and factually caused by this. I’m not condoning it any manner of means and like i said I’m gonna get grief for my views but they’re even telling us now we need MORE special kids seats to replace the already special ones we have, we can’t eat or drink while driving, can’t talk to people, can’t can’t can’t … personally I think there’s more accidents on the road because people don’t have any common sense anymore, we are continually having the decision making processes in our lives taken away from us so no need to think for ourselves. We used to deliver to places with a map in one hand and a bacon buttie in the other and there were probably less accidents than now by us as we had to think on our feet and took responsibility for the job we were doing.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

I’ve just noticed your post mate while reading back.
I won’t slate you or give you stick, you have hit the nail on the head, spot on.
Too many knee jerk reactions after high profile cases.

I too agree with the general thrust of EddieMD’s post.

But there is a big difference between the days of bacon buttie in one hand map in the other and changing gear with your third hand whilst rolling a rizla ■■■ up with the fourth, and now.

The difference being that the sort of idiots who caused the recent tragedies wouldn’t have done the job as it was, and if they tried it out wouldn’t have lasted 5 minutes anyway.
You don’t have to spend more than a few hours on this very site to work out who, of the newer drivers and sadly some of the older buggers too, are lorry drivers, and who of the newer drivers simply wouldn’t have coped when the job was different, and you don’t have to spend more than 1 minute listing the number of people you work with whom you would yourself employ.
Yes we had idiots then just as now, but they didn’t last long, where now we see every day utter berks at the wheel of lorries who shouldn’t have been allowed within a mile of one, but the way the job and lorries drive now they can hold basic chauffering type jobs down, helped by so many managers and admin in the industry not having the first clue about their role in all this, as said by some here you can’t educate/train/skill-up cabbage/pork, but so long as some bugger can select D press the loud pedal and follow the directions of idiot nav, thats fine.

Unfortunately the system and industry itself has decided that lowest common denominator, or race to the bottom, is the way to run things, so instead of cherry picking and retaining, we dumb the job down to the ability of the most useless idiot that can be found and pay accordingly, we are all, including the general public at large, worse off for this.
Lorry drivers need an aptitude for the job, not everyone has it but its easier for those who don’t have it to get by now, instead of addressing the issue properly the answer is more automation reducing the skills required ever further and electronic surveillance.