What watch do you wear?

For years I have used Seiko Kinetic watches as my dailies, relatively cheap and durable compared to higher end watches. I’ve had one for 21 years and never missed a beat.
Looking at getting my first Tag Heuer watch for my 40th to add to my growing collection of watches, just wondered if there were any other watch fans amongst us?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Bought this for my 21st birthday at the end of December 1980.
All Swiss movement and case.
The hands winding gear is stripped but day and date winders still work ok.
Other than that it still works fine and accurate to around 20 seconds in a month.Just needs another battery but I haven’t bothered to use it recently because got used to using the mobile phone for time.
It’s been mistaken for a Rolex numerous times over the years and I actually prefer the non magnifying day and date.

Edit December 1979.Those years went quick.

stuwozere1:
For years I have used Seiko Kinetic watches as my dailies, relatively cheap and durable compared to higher end watches. I’ve had one for 21 years and never missed a beat.
Looking at getting my first Tag Heuer watch for my 40th to add to my growing collection of watches, just wondered if there were any other watch fans amongst us?

I love well-made mechanical items, thus find great pleasure in watch mechanisms. My late father had a hobby of repairing clocks and watches (many chiming. Each hour was met with areal racket as he would not turn the chimes off!) so had grown up with them. During the day he was an old-fashioned “motor engineer”-he machined items and fixed cars and trucks, so he covered a lot of bases in his mechanical works.

But I am also careful with cash, so have never been tempted to spend a lot to own a good watch. However, I was once in Poland where I stumbled across a high-end watch shop. They were offering a rather beautiful yet not too expensive Longines automatic. Not really top end stuff, but very nice, so I purchased it.

The following months showed it to be a very poor time keeper. I began to think I had been “done” and had been sold a fake. So back in the UK I took to to one of the better shops in London. They confirmed it was genuine and “serviced” it. That cost a good few bob…

It still kept no better time and I was quite happy when it was nicked in a burglary a couple of years later.

I now have a…Timex with Indiglo. Cheap, dead accurate and I don’t worry if it gets knocked as i work. Never again will I spend on a “good” watch!

I don’t own a watch.Honest.

Gidders:
I don’t own a watch.Honest.

Never wore a watch for years, I just find the time on phone, or tacho when working. :neutral_face:

Worn this omega for 22 years. Had it serviced for the first time last year and it needed it too although it never lost time. Best money I ever spent.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

dunchues:
Worn this omega for 22 years. Had it serviced for the first time last year and it needed it too although it never lost time. Best money I ever spent.

Looked at an Omega De Ville. They’re nice watches [emoji106]

They are incredibly well made. I wanted a quality watch wear all the time. Didn’t want to spend crazy money, just a decent well made watch. I’ve done everything it this from diving to digging to driving. It was pretty badly scratched up when I eventually had it serviced, and the bezel had such a deep gouge it needed replacing but the glass didn’t have a scratch. Don’t know what it’s made of but through all the abuse the glass just won’t scratch. I wouldn’t have believed it when I bought it, but this watch will certainly see me out.

dunchues:
They are incredibly well made. I wanted a quality watch wear all the time. Didn’t want to spend crazy money, just a decent well made watch. I’ve done everything it this from diving to digging to driving. It was pretty badly scratched up when I eventually had it serviced, and the bezel had such a deep gouge it needed replacing but the glass didn’t have a scratch. Don’t know what it’s made of but through all the abuse the glass just won’t scratch. I wouldn’t have believed it when I bought it, but this watch will certainly see me out.

This is my current daily, never missed a beat. Bought it with my first wage in 1999. Same as yours, the bezel is scratched but only slightly. It does have one scratch on the lense as a pin broke in the strap and I ran it over. That was the only damage believe it or not

Thats what I used to wear ! I lived and worked on small boats then and could usually murder a Seiko in about 5 years which I was very impressed with as most of the time they were underwater getting bashed ! Nicely looked after classic right there.

My daily work watch is a CWC Military watch, bought it on the Interweb years ago when I worked nights, its proper visible in the dark unlike some watches.

I also have a small collection of Christopher Ward watches which are really great quality for the price, In fact I bought my first CW watch instead of a TAG as I found the quality much better.

christopherward.com/

toughwatches.net/citizen-bl5250-02l-reviews/

Also an almost identical, slightly larger face and much heavier (steel versus titanium), Wenger Chrono which i wear more often, not just because miles simpler to operate the stopwatch, the Citizen is complicated to use and set but never needs the date altering until sometime in 2100, by which time i might not be too bothered.
Both have leather straps, can’t stand bracelet style.

Lurking in a draw is Fairchild ‘Timeband’ led watch (blacked out face, lights up the time or date in red led digits when you press the buttons), i bought this way back in the 70’s and its still going strong, when i remember to change the battery.

I bought a Rolex when I was in Istanbul but the bloody thing stopped working after six months. Complete waste of a fiver. :wink:

Harry Monk:
I bought a Rolex when I was in Istanbul but the bloody thing stopped working after six months. Complete waste of a fiver. :wink:

Sure it wasn’t a Rollox? Seen them in Turkey [emoji23]

I have a Pulsar kinetic, it does the job steel wrist strap got it at Argos for £35 over 10 yrs ago saves on buying batteries and I don’t need anything expensive in case it gets damaged while working

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tissot, Rolex, Breitling and others all courtesy of pole position/ fastest lap/ race win etc. Had many more over the years but most were sold to finance my immature and hedonistic lifestyle! :smiley: