Can I refuse to take a double deck lorry in high winds

Hi, its forecast plus 59mph tonight and I’m due in work at 22.30 to deliver to 4 stores down south. Where would I stand if I refused to drive in high winds as I don’t feel its safe?

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Waldini1985:
Hi, its forecast plus 59mph tonight and I’m due in work at 22.30 to deliver to 4 stores down south. Where would I stand if I refused to drive in high winds as I don’t feel its safe?

Legally you’ve every right to refuse. But I doubt it will go down well.
I’ve pulled box deckers and curtain deckers in high winds and it ain’t much fun - especially over the M62 and M6 at Shap.

You’ll get a lot of ‘don’t be a tart’ etc. But go with your gut feeling. Speak to the TM in charge and discuss your concerns. Trouble is there’ll be others that will go out either through bravado or stupidity (or both)

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

If it’s a tri-axle for a supermarket or a pallet hub they are usually fairly heavy trailers and with a low COG and so barely move in high winds. Crack on, there is nothing to worry about. I’d rather take a decker than one of the modern flimsy single decker curtain-siders which seem to get buffeted all over the place in anything more than a stiff breeze. If it’s foam packing or polystyrene in a tandem axle decker then I’d certainly have some reservations, but common tri-axle decker stuff I wouldn’t even bat an eyelid unless it was proper hurricane force wind speeds.

Mick Bracewell:
If it’s a tri-axle for a supermarket or a pallet hub they are usually fairly heavy trailers and with a low COG and so barely move in high winds. Crack on, there is nothing to worry about. I’d rather take a decker than one of the modern flimsy single decker curtain-siders which seem to get buffeted all over the place in anything more than a stiff breeze. If it’s foam packing or polystyrene in a tandem axle decker then I’d certainly have some reservations, but common tri-axle decker stuff I wouldn’t even bat an eyelid unless it was proper hurricane force wind speeds.

Not to worried when its a full trailer, its when I’m driving back empty that worries me.

Take some night out gear,and if it gets to the point where you feel it’s unsafe to continue…find a sheltered spot,and park up.

I’m sure that it’s probably happened but in 30odd years of driving in all sorts of weather conditions I’ve never seen in the flesh or in photos a double decker blown over, sure I’ve seen them in ditches etc where admittedly they could have been blown to, but I’d consider them to be far more stable than a single deck curtainsider, more so if they are hard sided such as a fridge.

commonrail:
Take some night out gear,and if it gets to the point where you feel it’s unsafe to continue…find a sheltered spot,and park up.

I agree with this approach

the maoster:
I’m sure that it’s probably happened but in 30odd years of driving in all sorts of weather conditions I’ve never seen in the flesh or in photos a double decker blown over, sure I’ve seen them in ditches etc where admittedly they could have been blown to, but I’d consider them to be far more stable than a single deck curtainsider, more so if they are hard sided such as a fridge.

Have you driven one over Shap in 60 mph winds?

Waldini1985:

Go with your gut feeling and ignore all the heroes that think they are great because they’ve driven in high wind’s.
Every gust of wind is diffrent and any one of them gusts could have you over.
We had a driver killed a few years go when he was blown over in Scotland and he was only doing 20mph.
Remember its your licence and your life and not for someone else to make that decision other than yours.
So like I said, you make that decision.
If you do go, take night out gear and if it becomes unsafe. Find some shelter and park it up.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Truckulent:

the maoster:

Have you driven one over Shap in 60 mph winds?

I’m assuming that you have. Did it blow over?

Only stopped once,due to high wind.
Running empty across the m4 to Llanelli.Elevated section at Swansea was shut…and couldn’t get loaded till next morning,anyway.

Bit of a no brainer,really.
Bailed out at Sarn Park.

Waldini1985:

Mick Bracewell:

Not to worried when its a full trailer, its when I’m driving back empty that worries me.

I see from your post history you’re a new driver. It’s fine, every one of us said the same the first time we had to take a decker out in the wind, but I can guarantee you virtually every one of those people now, having done it a number of times, would tell you that you’re worrying too much as they’re much more stable that you’d think :slight_smile: . Fridge trailers (especially) and box trailers won’t go anywhere as they’re heavy enough to stay planted. If it’s a curtain-sider just do up the curtain buckles as tight as you can without ripping the mountings as a tightly done up curtain will stop it billowing like a sail and help with stability. Keep your eye on the vehicles in front 200 yards in front you as them moving about in their lane will give you clues on the wind strength where they are.

You’ll be on here Monday morning saying "meh, wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be :slight_smile: ".

Speaking from experience, I played the H&S card and rang my TM and told him I was parking up and NOT moving until the weather improved.

We had, over the years, several wagons get blown over and I wasn’t going to add to the list!