Should Scotland be "cut loose" from the UK?

Just a thought ! which will probably be consigned PDQ to “Bully’s” but in no way do I wish to upset those valued Scottish friends who very sensibly will wish to remain as part of the UK. However, with all the continuing pronouncements from The Wee Krankie Nicola and that bum Blackford all couched in undertones aimed at their intention to leave the UK ( but they would have no chance of re-joining the EU !) Should England say “OK” if you want independence you got it ! But on day one do not start screaming that you have dropped one enormous Bollock when the SNP finally realise that they are skint and have become a bigger basket case than Greece ! Bring it on I say but as long as we can take care of those sensible Scots who preferred to remain as part of the UK ! So Bully here we come ! well not for a while I hope ! Cheers Bewick.

I recon there will be at least 11000 Scots on their way down south from just one site, the submarine base that they have promised to shut down on day one. And what will they do without the £7 a year from each and every tax payer?
It wont happen.
Steve.

Bewick:
Just a thought ! which will probably be consigned PDQ to “Bully’s” but in no way do I wish to upset those valued Scottish friends who very sensibly will wish to remain as part of the UK. However, with all the continuing pronouncements from The Wee Krankie Nicola and that bum Blackford all couched in undertones aimed at their intention to leave the UK ( but they would have no chance of re-joining the EU !) Should England say “OK” if you want independence you got it ! But on day one do not start screaming that you have dropped one enormous Bollock when the SNP finally realise that they are skint and have become a bigger basket case than Greece ! Bring it on I say but as long as we can take care of those sensible Scots who preferred to remain as part of the UK ! So Bully here we come ! well not for a while I hope ! Cheers Bewick.

‘Should England say ok you can have independence’ :laughing: Why 54% of Scotland now favour independence

Can England have its independence from Scotland, there comes a point where your partner (Scotland) keeps wanting to be out on their own and you just think go for god sake.

No,no,no…the union jack would look silly without that blue background.

What would happen to their free university fees and free prescriptions without our tax payers to fund them . Wee Krankie lives in her own world far removed from reality .

The only surprise is why anyone this side of the border thinks that 48 seats in the English parliament for around 1 million votes and subsidising the place is a good deal for us.
Like the EU I don’t expect to run and pay the bills of my neighbour’s house and he shouldn’t expect to run and pay for mine.It’s called friends with fences and that’s how it should be between us and Scotland like the rest of Europe.

You just have to look at how England & Scotland devolved parliaments have performed during the Pandemic to know who will thrive under Independence. I’d have Nicola Sturgeon any day of the week over the Johnson & ■■■■■■■■ ■■■ show.

Go on I never did like Haggis at any rate, there only about 5 million in Scotland they would never survive, Buzzer

Bewick:
Just a thought ! which will probably be consigned PDQ to “Bully’s” …

Correct!! :grimacing:

I personally do not believe we should break up the union purely on a “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” basis.

However, strident Scottish Nationalists get right up my nose so for purely comedic value part of me says cut 'em loose.

I said at the time of the Scottish independence vote that if the Scots truly wanted independence they should’ve allowed the English to vote on it. They’d be well gone by now.

mjallby:
You just have to look at how England & Scotland devolved parliaments have performed during the Pandemic to know who will thrive under Independence. I’d have Nicola Sturgeon any day of the week over the Johnson & ■■■■■■■■ ■■■ show.

Sturgeon’s idea of a devolved parliament is being ruled by Germany.
She wants us to ban CO2 but she also wants an economic policy based on flogging oil.

Yep the Tories are a bunch of no hopers nothing new there.The same no hopers who want us to go on subsidising Scotland and having loads of Scottish MP’s in parliament who shouldn’t be there.

As usual, when debating this subject, some can’t help themselves and resort to offence!
Why don’t you stick to facts?

2014 Referendum:-
YES 44.7%
NO 55.3%
Turnout 84.59%
Politicians of any party would love to get a turnout of that magnitude at any election! If any of that 15.41% who didn’t vote decided to vote YES on another day what result would occur? Would the 45% who voted YES still vote YES? We’ll see.

MAY 2016 HOLYROOD ELECTIONS:-
SNP share of the vote - 46.5%
UNIONIST Parties combined Vote - 52.4%
The SNP do not have a majority, I suggest that’s due to Sturgeon’s unpopularity and polices. Most Scots are sick of her, unfortunately there is no substantial credible opposition that could win enough seats to remove the SNP.

JUNE 2016 EU Referendum:-
LEAVE 38%
REMAIN 62%
Turnout 67.2%
The SNP repeatedly claim Scotland voted to REMAIN and is being dragged out of the EU against it’s wishes. Facts are that 32.8% didn’t vote, of the 67.25 that did, 2/3s who voted want to stay in the EU and 1/3 don’t. Hardly an endorsement for either side.
The Elephant in the Room for the SNP?
1/3 of their voters decided LEAVE was best, will they vote for Independence if the SNP intend, without a Referendum (And they repeatedly say Scotland WILL return to the EU and never mention a Referendum.) to re-join the EU? Highly unlikely I think.

2019 GENERAL ELECTION:-
SNP share of the vote - 45%
UNIONIST parties combined share of the vote - 53.7%
The SNP gained most seats but only because this election is First Past the Post unlike Holyrood’s.
Does the SNP speak for Scotland, you’d be daft in claiming that by these results!

Conclusion:-
Independence won’t happen anytime soon.
The above facts prove they don’t have enough support, continually shouting about it doesn’t mean it will happen.
The SNP’s continued ranting on the EU, Independence, their views on Immigration, their endorsement of a BLM rally on Glasgow Green during Lockdown, and many other matters are unpopular. their support for the Greens do them no favours.
So, Dennis, no need to get your Knickers in a Twist on Independence!

As for Independence, Scotland was an Independent Nation until 1707, when the Act of Union was invoked there were riots in Glasgow Edinburgh and elsewhere.
Robert Burns wrote ‘Fareweel to a’ our Scottish fame,
Fareweel our ancient glory!
Fareweel ev’n to the Scottish name.
Sae famed in martial story!

Now Sark rins over Salway sands,
An’ Tweed rins to the ocean,
To mark where England’s province stands –
O, would, or I had seen the day
That Treason thus could sell us,
My auld grey head had lien in clay
Wi’ Bruce and loyal Wallace!

But pith and power, till my last hour
I’ll mak this declaration :-
‘We’re bought and sold for English gold’–
Such a parcel of rogues in a nation!’

The ‘Parcel of Rogues’ Burns refers to are not English, they are the Scottish Nobles who sold their country for gold.
In my travels south of the Border it never ceases to amaze me how ignorant many people are of the Act of Union! They don’t realise the Act enshrines the Right of Scotland to have it’s own Law, Banking, Education, printing of banknotes (How many English banks can do that? None!) Etc.
In Scotland a Bank Holiday is just that, the Banks are closed! We have Statuary Holidays decided by local authorities. B & Q, ASDA, Sainsbury, Tesco have never got their head round that, every August signs appear ‘OPEN BANK HOLIDAY MONDAY’ when here it’s business as usual.
Today is Glasgow Fair Friday, a holiday weekend and Monday is a holiday. How many know that?

Alex

alexsaville:
As usual, when debating this subject, some can’t help themselves and resort to offence!

YES 44.7%
NO 55.3%
Turnout 84.59%
Politicians of any party would love to get a turnout of that magnitude at any election! If any of that 15.41% who didn’t vote decided to vote YES on another day what result would occur? Would the 45% who voted YES still vote YES? We’ll see.

The SNP do not have a majority, I suggest that’s due to Sturgeon’s unpopularity and polices. Most Scots are sick of her, unfortunately there is no substantial credible opposition that could win enough seats to remove the SNP.

LEAVE 38%
REMAIN 62%
Turnout 67.2%
The SNP repeatedly claim Scotland voted to REMAIN and is being dragged out of the EU against it’s wishes. Facts are that 32.8% didn’t vote, of the 67.25 that did, 2/3s who voted want to stay in the EU and 1/3 don’t. Hardly an endorsement for either side.
1/3 of their voters decided LEAVE was best, will they vote for Independence if the SNP intend, without a Referendum (And they repeatedly say Scotland WILL return to the EU and never mention a Referendum.) to re-join the EU? Highly unlikely I think.

The SNP gained most seats but only because this election is First Past the Post unlike Holyrood’s.
Does the SNP speak for Scotland, you’d be daft in claiming that by these results!

The above facts prove they don’t have enough support, continually shouting about it doesn’t mean it will happen.
The SNP’s continued ranting on the EU, Independence, their views on Immigration, their endorsement of a BLM rally on Glasgow Green during Lockdown, and many other matters are unpopular. their support for the Greens do them no favours.

As for Independence, Scotland was an Independent Nation until 1707, when the Act of Union was invoked there were riots in Glasgow Edinburgh and elsewhere.

The ‘Parcel of Rogues’ Burns refers to are not English, they are the Scottish Nobles who sold their country for gold.
In my travels south of the Border it never ceases to amaze me how ignorant many people are of the Act of Union! They don’t realise the Act enshrines the Right of Scotland to have it’s own Law, Banking, Education, printing of banknotes (How many English banks can do that? None!) Etc.
In Scotland a Bank Holiday is just that, the Banks are closed! We have Statuary Holidays decided by local authorities. B & Q, ASDA, Sainsbury, Tesco have never got their head round that, every August signs appear ‘OPEN BANK HOLIDAY MONDAY’ when here it’s business as usual.
Today is Glasgow Fair Friday, a holiday weekend and Monday is a holiday. How many know that?

Alex

You seem to have missed the point that ‘we’ should have the choice to ditch Scotland.
48 seats for around 1 million votes is unjustifiable as is all the other subsidies in which England gets less of its own money for it to be spent on Scottish benefits.
While who wants to be ruled by MP’s with no local mandate from opposite ends of the country.
It’s time to annul the Act of Union.

Carryfast:

alexsaville:

YES 44.7%
NO 55.3%
Turnout 84.59%

LEAVE 38%
REMAIN 62%
Turnout 67.2%

Alex

You seem to have missed the point that ‘we’ should have the choice to ditch Scotland.
48 seats for around 1 million votes is unjustifiable as is all the other subsidies in which England gets less of its own money for it to be spent on Scottish benefits.
While who wants to be ruled by MP’s with no local mandate from opposite ends of the country.
It’s time to annul the Act of Union.

I wish “we” could get rid of Boris as PM. I never had my opinion sought on who should lead the country. And he is absolutely useless at it…

Dipster:
I wish “we” could get rid of Boris as PM. I never had my opinion sought on who should lead the country. And he is absolutely useless at it…

Fine so long as you mean replace him with IDS not Starmer or Sturgeon.

I heard if Scotland gets independence they want ■■■■■■■ back again and the relatives of Smiths of maddiston also called Smith but wears a dress not a kilt called Denise of whom borrowed some Guy big Js with 240 Gardner in and failed to return :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Well as long as they dont sever my secret pipe line of Single Malts that keeps me in good health, :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: ,Regards Larry.

Well CF, you are one of those who would rather insult than debate!
You are perfectly entitled to have an opinion that England should, to use your word, ‘Ditch’ Scotland. However before you demand this you had better realise some facts (Somehow I don’t think you will!) like when you claim that England gets less of it’s own money for it to be spent in Scotland. The money in the Treasury is not England’s, Scotland’s, Wales or Nth Ireland’s, it’s the United Kingdom’s. All Taxes, and oil revenues and other income end up in the Treasury. All of it!
You also clearly haven’t grasped what ‘Devolution’ is or how it operates.
The Westminster Government allocates money to all three devolved countries, their Parliaments decide how that money is spent. Westminster decides how money for England gets spent. Now I believe England should also have Parliament and only the English politicians should be responsible for allocating funds, this is called the ‘Federal’ system.
Westminster should only be responsible for matters such as Foreign Policy and such like matters.
You don’t have a Parliament, that’s not the fault of the three devolved countries.
So when you say that money for England gets used for Scottish Benefits, you show your remarkable ignorance of how the entire Devolution system works.
Perhaps you can brush up on that lack of knowledge before you join grown-up debates?
If Scotland gets ‘Ditched’ England will have to buy Scottish Oil for example, your country will have to apply to fish in Scottish waters as well. How about the Armed Forces, Scotland would be entitled to 1/4 of those, after all we were a constituent of the United Kingdom until you ‘Ditched’ us and Business is Business!

Your comment about “Who wants to be ruled by by MP’s with no local mandate from opposite ends of the country” will make interesting reading for those in the North East & Cornwall who wonder if they are also on your agenda!

Alex

alexsaville:
Well CF, you are one of those who would rather insult than debate!
You are perfectly entitled to have an opinion that England should, to use your word, ‘Ditch’ Scotland. However before you demand this you had better realise some facts (Somehow I don’t think you will!) like when you claim that England gets less of it’s own money for it to be spent in Scotland. The money in the Treasury is not England’s, Scotland’s, Wales or Nth Ireland’s, it’s the United Kingdom’s. All Taxes, and oil revenues and other income end up in the Treasury. All of it!
You also clearly haven’t grasped what ‘Devolution’ is or how it operates.
The Westminster Government allocates money to all three devolved countries, their Parliaments decide how that money is spent. Westminster decides how money for England gets spent. Now I believe England should also have Parliament and only the English politicians should be responsible for allocating funds, this is called the ‘Federal’ system.
Westminster should only be responsible for matters such as Foreign Policy and such like matters.
You don’t have a Parliament, that’s not the fault of the three devolved countries.
So when you say that money for England gets used for Scottish Benefits, you show your remarkable ignorance of how the entire Devolution system works.
Perhaps you can brush up on that lack of knowledge before you join grown-up debates?
If Scotland gets ‘Ditched’ England will have to buy Scottish Oil for example, your country will have to apply to fish in Scottish waters as well. How about the Armed Forces, Scotland would be entitled to 1/4 of those, after all we were a constituent of the United Kingdom until you ‘Ditched’ us and Business is Business!

Your comment about “Who wants to be ruled by by MP’s with no local mandate from opposite ends of the country” will make interesting reading for those in the North East & Cornwall who wonder if they are also on your agenda!

Alex

You seem to have a problem differentiating a Confederal UK from a Federal one.

A Federal one is what we’ve got.One big pooled collective in which all the MP’s decide what happens for all of us and all the money goes into one big pot.

The Westminster government alloacates it.As I said of which just over a million Scottish votes gets to buy around 50 seats.

Scottish oil from a Scottish leader who wants to stop us all using fossil fuels so she can flog it to her Euro and Chinese Communist mates instead.Just like her idea of Scottish independence is all of us being ruled by the 4th Reich.You couldn’t make it up.

As I remember it there was no act of union for Cornwall or the Geordies but do agree there are plenty of ways in which government could be made more locally representative in that case too.Obviously no problem there with 1 million votes buying over 40 seats in parliament though.