HOW ? Do they not know. albions 'off on a tangent Thread'

Maybe he was a new pass. I’ll shortly be bringing a narrowboat up from Evesham, despite doing a course I can guarantee I’ll make a mess of something, somewhere.

Hopefully there will be nice people to help instead of moaning on canalnet forum.

albion:
Maybe he was a new pass. I’ll shortly be bringing a narrowboat up from Evesham, despite doing a course I can guarantee I’ll make a mess of something, somewhere.

Hopefully there will be nice people to help instead of moaning on canalnet forum.

You’ll not know because nobody has the balls to say anything to anyone anymore.

albion:

You are new to narrow boating Mrs A,? Are you a shiny beater, or a crusty? ( I know you wont technically a crusty, because you aren’t living on your boat, but if your boat isn’t highly polished with pristine paintwork, those who poses such boats consider you a crusty… :grimacing: ).
There’ll be lots of nice people around to help you, apart from swing bridges in the middle of nowhere, some of which will even be boaters. You’ll meet lots of ‘gongoozlers’, some of whom are dab hands at helping you through a lock. Many even bring their own windlass…

Rule number one at locks. YOU are in charge. Never let anybody open paddles without YOU and the boat being ready… if in any doubt of the ability of any helpers, politely decline their help.

Rule number two at locks. KEEP looking at the stern and, to ensure that the stern is ALWAYS clear of the sill (marked by a white line on the lockside) . If the stern gets caught on the sill (going down), the bow will tip below water, and the boat will sink, quickly.

Rule number three at locks. ALWAYS keep looking at the boat and bow to ensure the whole boat is coming up (or going down) evenly. Particularly the bow, which can hang up (get stuck) on the lock gates, causing the stern to tip under water (going down) or the bow(going up). Both will sink the boat in minutes.

If anything looks amiss whilst going down or up, immediately close the paddles you’ve opened. Never walk away from the paddle you’re working, and DO NOT get distracted by friendly people wanting to talk.

Which route are going? I’ve been of the ditch for a while, but immensely enjoyed the years I worked a fuel boat.

albion:

what’s this madam, have you bought one or just hired one to test the water (pun intended) enjoy it whatever… :wink:

ps. hopefully you will meet harry monk on your journey. he seem’s to know his stuff concerning life on the cut…

m.a.n rules:

albion:

what’s this madam, have you bought one or just hired one to test the water (pun intended) enjoy it whatever… :wink:

ps. hopefully you will meet harry monk on your journey. he seem’s to know his stuff concerning life on the cut…

Deposit down, survey booked and then I can say I own one wasn’t planning to look for one till later in the year, but this one came along and she was just right for me.

I met Harry earlier this year when he was moored near me earlier this year. Trust me his number is on speed dial and I’ve been asking him questions. He’s a very patient man!

congratulations madam, and well earnt as well. so what’s she called and what length. pop a pic up when you can. :slight_smile:

m.a.n rules:
congratulations madam, and well earnt as well. so what’s she called and what length. pop a pic up when you can. :slight_smile:

This is turning into a two tier thread.

Elsie Alice, 50’ 3 year old. She is very modern inside, very pretty. She’s all diesel, no gas and no wood burner which is unusual as you know , but what I wanted.

I’m a techno numpty when it comes to uploading, but if you want to idle some time, youtube, type in Elsie Alice narrowboat, and that should bring her up.

Edit: there is this, an article from when she was built.

canalboat.co.uk/canal-boats … -1-4805663

madam, she is a beauty, so bright inside where some tend to be a bit dark. one tip, don’t leave that bottom draw open after you’ve had a couple :laughing: .

ref. the two tier thread dont worry those pesky mod’s will be along in a bit… oooh silly me :smiley: .enjoy…

m.a.n rules:
madam, she is a beauty, so bright inside where some tend to be a bit dark. one tip, don’t leave that bottom draw open after you’ve had a couple :laughing: .

ref. the two tier thread dont worry those pesky mod’s will be along in a bit… oooh silly me :smiley: .enjoy…

I’ve not had the how to split a thread training :wink:

albion:

m.a.n rules:

This is turning into a two tier thread.

Elsie Alice, 50’ 3 year old. She is very modern inside, very pretty. She’s all diesel, no gas and no wood burner which is unusual as you know , but what I wanted.

I’m a techno numpty when it comes to uploading, but if you want to idle some time, youtube, type in Elsie Alice narrowboat, and that should bring her up.

Edit: there is this, an article from when she was built.

canalboat.co.uk/canal-boats … -1-4805663

the cuttlrey needs strapping,once you start going up and down hills

Good point, I am worried about the steep gradients!

albion:

Don’t be ridiculous! How else but using gradients are water skiiers supposed to do their stuff?

the maoster:

albion:

Don’t be ridiculous! How else but using gradients are water skiiers supposed to do their stuff?

Now you’ve said it, it’s obvious. But I can see you are trying to catch me out. Narrowboats dont go fast enough to pull water skiers up the hills. Down maybe.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

This

PSX_20190725_094813.jpg

There you go albion, split the thread for you. :wink:

albion:

I’d be more worried about rear steer, and no brakes.
Bernard

It’s a lovely boat, just right I’d say for Albion’s intended use. A Beta 38 is a bulletproof engine (the base engine is a Kubota). There are some lovely touches on the interior too. Hope all goes well with the survey and I look forward to seeing it some time.

Break
Out
Another
Thousand.

:wink:

Reason: Split from original by a moderator that knows what he’s doing…

That’s either an ego massaging exercise or informing your colleagues they’re not up to it.

Albion, good luck with your venture, we all need something to keep the juices flowing.