Interesting reading

British Lawmaker Advises Investors To Take Their Money Out Of The UK

Editor’s note: The opinions in this article are the author’s, as published by our content partner, and do not represent the views of MSN or Microsoft.

In an op-ed in the Financial Times, the Chief Global Strategist for Charles Stanley, John Redwood, advises investors to remove their money from the United Kingdom. “Time to look further afield as the UK economy hits the brakes”, says his headline.

The UK economy is indeed slowing down. The Office for National Statistics reports that year-on-year GDP growth is now running at around 1.5%, well below the 3 percent of three years ago, though slightly better than the 1% of early 2017. However, much of that slowdown comes from a weak housing construction sector: the UK’s dominant services sector is ticking along, while manufacturing is recovering. Importantly, the ONS says that economic sentiment is improving. So why is Redwood so pessimistic?

In a word, credit. Rising inflation, largely due to the fall in sterling after the shock result of the EU referendum in June 2016, is squeezing real incomes. Continually rising consumer credit is unsustainable when real incomes are falling, so it was inevitable that there would soon be a significant contraction of bank lending. That is now coming to pass.

As Redwood notes, the Bank of England has continually warned about rising consumer debt burdens. In June this year, it tightened mortgage lending standards. And in September, it imposed higher capital requirements on banks to guard against the possibility of losses from rising consumer loan defaults. This has no doubt contributed to banks’ decision to reduce unsecured consumer lending. Further contributory factors include the Bank of England’s recent decision to raise interest rates, and the Monetary Policy Committee’s warning that because of Brexit, the UK faces a poorer future:

“Monetary policy cannot prevent either the necessary real adjustment as the United Kingdom moves towards its new international trading arrangements or the weaker real income growth that is likely to accompany that adjustment over the next few years.”

Such warnings tend to discourage borrowing, reducing demand for loans as well as supply.

As I have explained before, in the UK’s consumption-dominated economy, when households cut back borrowing, GDP growth falters. The UK is therefore facing a much sharper slowdown than the ONS is currently forecasting. Redwood, it seems, agrees with me – though he does not mention Brexit, for reasons that will shortly become apparent.

Redwood’s advice to investors is to flee the UK before the credit crunch bites:

“I sold out of the general share ETFs in the UK after their great performance for the year from early July 2016 when I saw the last Budget and heard the BoE’s credit warnings. The money could be better put to work in places where the authorities are allowing credit to expand a bit, to permit faster growth.”

Sounds sensible, doesn’t it?

No. It is an absolute disgrace for this man to give such advice.

You see, the Rt. Hon. John Redwood MP – to give him his full title – is a lawmaker. He is an elected member of the House of Commons. And not just any lawmaker. He is a senior member of the Conservative Party, which is currently in government and making a total hash of the Brexit negotiations. He is also a former Cabinet Minister and a member of the Privy Council.

This senior lawmaker is advising investors to stop investing in his country.

Unsurprisingly, Redwood’s FT profile doesn’t mention his political role. After all, telling investors not to invest in the UK is hardly patriotic, is it?

And it gets worse.

A week after his op-ed was published, the EU warned that trade talks with the UK could not start until agreement was reached over the UK’s exit bill. In response, Redwood issued this tweet:

So having advised investors to remove their money from the UK, the Rt. Hon. John Redwood told the UK government to go for “hard Brexit”.

Let me remind you what the consequences of “hard Brexit” would be. According to researchers at the Ku Leuven Center for Economic Studies, the total loss of Gross Value Added in the UK would amount to 4.47% of GDP, and unemployment would rise by over half a million: this research also identifies high costs from hard Brexit for EU countries, particularly Ireland. John Van Reenen at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology calculates permanent per capita income reduction of 2.61%. The distribution would inevitably be highly uneven, disproportionately hitting the working poor, whose living standards could fall by significantly more.

These figures are shocking. Hard Brexit would mean an immediate deep recession for the UK and permanently lower living standards for many of its citizens.

Related: Leading Brexiteer admits UK is looking at a 10-year recession with hard Brexit

So the Rt. Hon. John Redwood MP advocated a course of action by the UK government that he knows would seriously damage the UK economy. This is not the only time he has advocated such a course of action: he is a prominent advocate of “hard Brexit”, insisting that anything less is not really Brexit.

And to protect his job as an investment manager, he warned his wealthy clients to get their money out before the disaster hits.

To me, this smacks of disaster capitalism. Engineer a crash while ensuring your own interests are protected, then clean up when it hits.

This is despicable behaviour by a lawmaker. The Rt. Hon. John Redwood MP is putting his own interests above those he represents. He is unfit to hold office. He should resign.

msn.com/en-gb/money/news/br … ailsignout

Do you ever bore yourself?

A.

Is this all fake news, you reckon?
I don’t get bored reading about issues that will affect me and my family for decades to come.

Tory government who don’t and never have cared for working folk but strangely were voted in by working folk. Brexit was also voted for by the majority so this is a non story as we’re getting what we wanted.
Well, when I say we…

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

I think this is the most important bit of the article.

Editor’s note: The opinions in this article are the author’s,

The author has an opinion. And he’s entitled to it as are we all. But really Brexit doesn’t have a precedence, so nobody really knows what will happen, I read the FT most days, have a subscription to it and the best I can say is opinion is divided, ok the money markets don’t like Brexit but they never like uncertainty and it seems obvious that although the city will lose some EU focussed financial jobs it won’t be the exodus predicted by some, even the BOE say this I believe they for sat 75,000 if there is no deal, but that’s out of a total of well over 1m.

As for me I’m concerned what the outcome will be, as I also don’t like uncertainty.

Munchkin:
Tory government who don’t and never have cared for working folk but strangely were voted in by working folk. Brexit was also voted for by the majority so this is a non story as we’re getting what we wanted.
Well, when I say we…

They aren’t alone in that they are one of certainly 3 maybe now 4 other mainstream political parties that are "all in it together " They are a cucked coalition of traitors who hate the indigenous people of this country LIB/LAB/CON none of them represents change Ukip sadly seems to of joined them
A vote for any of these parties is a wasted vote if you want real radical changes that benefit the people of this country, Uner all of them things will remain the same or get even worse, Liebour would certainly make things a lot worse as would the lib dimi’s

muckles:
But really Brexit doesn’t have a precedence, so nobody really knows what will happen,

As for me I’m concerned what the outcome will be, as I also don’t like uncertainty.

Why is the the less than 50 years we’ve been part of the EU considered a ‘precedent’ but the hundreds of years that we haven’t isn’t ?.

What was supposedly so bad about all the economic figures which matter like the national debt and economic growth and resulting employment levels,in 1972.As opposed to the same figures for 1973 to date.Not surprising as we weren’t paying billions into the EU budget,for the privilege of being a net importer of EU goods and services up to 1972.

Uncertainty more like remainer bs. :unamused:

tommy t:
They aren’t alone in that they are one of certainly 3 maybe now 4 other mainstream political parties that are "all in it together " They are a cucked coalition of traitors who hate the indigenous people of this country LIB/LAB/CON none of them represents change Ukip sadly seems to of joined them

UKIP isn’t perfect.But then nor are the BNP type groups in them alienating too many voters to stand a chance of getting the power needed to do anything for the country.While at least UKIP wants to tip the balance back more in favour of the ‘indigenous’ population and telling the rest if they don’t like living under our rules then they know where the door is.

So exactly which establishment party or media propaganda outlet has this as its core policy and message.

d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/u … outnow.jpg

youtube.com/watch?v=9GxINhpN4EE

youtube.com/watch?v=rlZiIUUrBZc

Brexit reminds me of a Duckbilled Platypus, big bill!
Will the £350m a week the NHS were going to get go to pay the divorce off?
Probably not as it was a massive barefaced, cynical but referendum winning lie.

Bully’s…

Adonis.:

A.

Do you ever write a worthy comment?

muckles:
I think this is the most important bit of the article.

Editor’s note: The opinions in this article are the author’s,

The author has an opinion. And he’s entitled to it as are we all. But really Brexit doesn’t have a precedence, so nobody really knows what will happen, I read the FT most days, have a subscription to it and the best I can say is opinion is divided, ok the money markets don’t like Brexit but they never like uncertainty and it seems obvious that although the city will lose some EU focussed financial jobs it won’t be the exodus predicted by some, even the BOE say this I believe they for sat 75,000 if there is no deal, but that’s out of a total of well over 1m.

^^^ far too rational there muckles, can you not inject some hysteria, either that the end of the world is nigh or that we are about to head for glorious sunny uplands? That is the theme that is coming through, any number of banks will have a notional HQ in Frankfurt probably, but in reality the main trading will still be in London.

Carryfast, we may have hundreds of years precedence as a sovereign nation, but Brexit has never happened before and it will have an effect, that no-one can confidently predict.

I was listening to Vine on R2 for a bit today, it turns out that Corbyn has basically ’ threatened ’ the banks if he gets in :open_mouth:

As if the financial situation is not precarious enough, this clown threatens even more instability! We have a fantastic ability in this country to try and sabotage ourselves. We don’t need to worry about any enemies, we seem to be our own worst :neutral_face:

Admin, please remove this thread its waffle, and cut n pasted. Copyright.

Munchkin:
Brexit reminds me of a Duckbilled Platypus, big bill!
Will the £350m a week the NHS were going to get go to pay the divorce off?
Probably not as it was a massive barefaced, cynical but referendum winning lie.

Bearing in mind that the ‘Brexit’ campaign was never intended for implementation by a treacherous remainer in the form of May and her remainer sidekick Hammond it obviously didn’t account for any rip off ‘divorce settlement’.Because there is no legal condition in any of the treaties which those like her have signed which says we have to pay anything like 50 billion quid to leave.

In which case tell us how much does the NHS get by doing what the hypocrites among the remainers want in keeping on giving it ‘all’ to the EU instead.IE better ‘some’ of it for the NHS in the form of Brexit than ‘none’ of it by remaining in the rip off Federal zb pile.

While the ‘divorce settlement’ is obviously just an engineered con with the intention of May and her remainer cronies saying oh look how much it will cost. Let’s change our minds and stay and keep paying the EU a fortune for the privilege of importing EU products and being told what to do by zb Juncker and Merkel instead. :unamused:

As for a massive bearfaced cynical referendum winning lie.No that was the one which the remainers used in 1975 to sell a ‘Common Market’ to a naive electorate not a USE with zb’s like Tusk and unelected Commissioners and foreign majority vote ruling us.You know the same idea of a referendum result which the remainers were all too happy to accept when it suited them because it went their way.Although dictatorial Federalists distorting and taking advantage of democracy when it suits them and ignoring it when it doesn’t nothing new there.

albion:
Carryfast, we may have hundreds of years precedence as a sovereign nation, but Brexit has never happened before and it will have an effect, that no-one can confidently predict.

Let’s get this right you agree that we’ve had hundreds of years as a sovereign nation state but none of that counts in the case of secession from the EU.You know the same EU that was only supposed to be a ‘Common Market’,not a Soviet style Federation using the blackmail of trade for sovereignty.Let alone when the blackmail in question goes along the lines of them telling us that we have to submit to their rule and pay them a fortune in net contributions for the privilege of being a net importer of their products. :unamused:

Dr Damon:

Adonis.:

A.

Do you ever write a worthy comment?

Carryfast:

muckles:
But really Brexit doesn’t have a precedence, so nobody really knows what will happen,

Why is the the less than 50 years we’ve been part of the EU considered a ‘precedent’ but the hundreds of years that we haven’t isn’t ?.

What was supposedly so bad about all the economic figures which matter like the national debt and economic growth and resulting employment levels,in 1972.As opposed to the same figures for 1973 to date.Not surprising as we weren’t paying billions into the EU budget,for the privilege of being a net importer of EU goods and services up to 1972.

When I said unprecedented I meant leaving the EU, I believe only the Faroe Islands has left the EU before and that can hardly be used as an equivalent example, and you keep going on about the 1970s and 1960’s well the World in a very different place, markets we had in the 60’s have gone and they’re not going to reappear overnight, just because we’ve left the EU. The type of industry this country had in the 60’s has gone and it won’t come back overnight, if ever. Unlike you I don’t have this pair of rose tinted spectacles, I don’t think that suddenly we’ll have Morris cars starting up again and fleets of AEC’s taking to our streets.

We are leaving the EU and moving into a very different place than when we joined, that means we are moving into new territory, I personally hope we succeed, but it will be new it won’t be going back to pre EEC days, but like anyting new there will be uncertainties, although I doubt you’ve ever tried anything new in your life.

What money would that be then ?

muckles:

Carryfast:

muckles:

When I said unprecedented I meant leaving the EU, I believe only the Faroe Islands has left the EU before and that can hardly be used as an equivalent example, and you keep going on about the 1970s and 1960’s well the World in a very different place, markets we had in the 60’s have gone and they’re not going to reappear overnight, just because we’ve left the EU. The type of industry this country had in the 60’s has gone and it won’t come back overnight, if ever. Unlike you I don’t have this pair of rose tinted spectacles, I don’t think that suddenly we’ll have Morris cars starting up again and fleets of AEC’s taking to our streets.

We are leaving the EU and moving into a very different place than when we joined, that means we are moving into new territory, I personally hope we succeed, but it will be new it won’t be going back to pre EEC days, but like anyting new there will be uncertainties, although I doubt you’ve ever tried anything new in your life.

Oh wait.Let’s go with the remainers.It’s so much better to go on trying to sustain an unsustainable trade deficit with the EU and keep throwing cash at the foreign aid scam in the form of net contributions while imposing austerity at home.Not to mention having absolutely zero electoral control over the government process.

Yes we know our manufacturing export markets have now mostly become manufacturers themselves and no longer need our exports.While the EU was always a case of us buying more from them than they bought from us.Except for depleting our oil and fish stock reserves of course.Staying with the EU fixes that how.

As opposed to opting out of the global free market economy and replacing those imports and resulting unsustainable trade deficit with domestic industry.The fact is if we don’t do that we sink either way.Except we’ll still sink a lot slower and stand a lot more chance of staying afloat without the financial noose and foreign government of the EU tied around our necks and we stand a lot more chance of rebuilding our manufacturing base without an economy being run in the interests of bleedin Germany.The key point being that our domestic market was always worth more to us than the European one from the time we joined.Which is the definition of a trade deficit situation.While also destroying the bs remainer arguments that the single EU market is essential to us when the fact is it’s just a deficit situation liability let alone us sacrificing our nation’s sovereignty and paying for the privilege.