Brexit Letter Signed

Theresa May has signed the letter that will formally begin the UK’s departure from the European Union.
Giving official notice under Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty, it will be delivered to European Council president Donald Tusk later.
In a statement in the Commons, the prime minister will then tell MPs this marks “the moment for the country to come together”.
It follows June’s referendum which resulted in a vote to leave the EU.
Mrs May’s letter will be delivered at 12:30 BST on Wednesday by the British ambassador to the EU, Sir Tim Barrow.

i’ll easily give them the first class stamp to post it :stuck_out_tongue:

scotstrucker:
i’ll easily give them the first class stamp to post it :stuck_out_tongue:

Sod that, I’ll hand deliver it

Looking at how quiet the markets are - I take it that no one has made the thrust of this letter public yet.

With a bit of luck it will say:-

“The two years negotiations can now start. Meanwhile, our last payment to the EU forever goes out this friday 31st, thus completing our obligations for the full financial year that the Leave mandate happened in. Have a nice day.”
Once the money flow stops, the EU will be keen to “get on with it” because they’re not being paid to string it out any more. We could be all the way out by dinner time next monday in fact. :stuck_out_tongue:

If we don’t stop paying the money as of this week though, - the EU will string us along forever, - just to keep that money coming.
Two years will be extended by the other nations to 5 years, then 10 years and then when us Brexiteers have all deemed to have died of old age in the meantime - we’ll have the second referendum under a parliament of boosted young lefties and depleted old ■■■■■ - to get the result that they always wanted from the very beginning. :open_mouth: :frowning: :question: :question:

Frankly, I’d rather we became a Tory Dictatorship rather than that. :imp:

Let’s hope Theresa May has done the former option depicted above - and not the latter one then. :wink:

Winseer:
With a bit of luck it will say:-

“The two years negotiations can now start. Meanwhile, our last payment to the EU forever goes out this friday 31st, thus completing our obligations for the full financial year that the Leave mandate happened in. Have a nice day.”
Once the money flow stops, the EU will be keen to “get on with it” because they’re not being paid to string it out any more. We could be all the way out by dinner time next monday in fact. :stuck_out_tongue:

If Carlsberg did Brexit negotiations this ^^^^ would be the way to do it.

I’d love to see it happen that way, but fear it will be a tad more problematic tbh. Having said that I was very dubious that despite the referendum we’d even get this far. I cynically expected a metaphorical spanner being thrown in the works to delay/halt the whole shebang. Which in itself leads me to believe that those who wield the real power in this country are secretly happy for us to leave.

Happy days

I know its being thrashed to death on other threads on the same issue,but how many on here will say if they had the chance to change their vote from leave to stay they would,or alternatively,from stay to leave would they.
I have to say I think the leave vote was ill conceived,and ultimately will be a bad thing for the UK.As it seems to be the UK is split into 4 sections,upon the vote,England leave,Scotland stay,Wales leave and Northern Ireland stay.(and major differences within those regions)Obviously the population base differs and the majority said leave.
I respect that decision,and say fair play to you.
I just think that if one is in a club,and decides to leave,well one cant have the benefits of the club as one had before.(Open market in this case). From a drivers point of view,the customs formalities will probably be the least of the EUs and Britains worries. Neither party really cared about us before,why should thee or me having a delay at a border post worry them now?However,if tariffs and taxes are to be imposed both ways,then it stands to reason that UK importers and exporters prices will go up,having a detremental effect on UK jobs.Alternatively,if a German importer/exporter sees his prices going up,hell simply source his product within the EU.
I know the argument has been made that the UK will simply do its own deals with other, (possibly ex commonwealth) countries,and thats their right.But surely an import/export market on your own door would be a better economic market to remain within.
New Zealand for example has a market of 4million people,and obvious links are strong.Ireland has the same, broadly speaking, market.
We`re 3 hours away by sea,we can be at your doorstep,the following morning.Dare I say,maybe even the same day an order is dispatched.This works both ways obviously.
For my tuppence (or cents) worth,I think it was a bad decision.
Sometimes when I see the bureaucracy coming from Brussels,I wonder would we be wise to maybe do the same thing.
I still respect your decision to go however.
Oh to have a crystal ball!

whiplash:
I know its being thrashed to death on other threads on the same issue,but how many on here will say if they had the chance to change their vote from leave to stay they would,or alternatively,from stay to leave would they.
I have to say I think the leave vote was ill conceived,and ultimately will be a bad thing for the UK.As it seems to be the UK is split into 4 sections,upon the vote,England leave,Scotland stay,Wales leave and Northern Ireland stay.(and major differences within those regions)Obviously the population base differs and the majority said leave.
I respect that decision,and say fair play to you.
I just think that if one is in a club,and decides to leave,well one cant have the benefits of the club as one had before.(Open market in this case). From a drivers point of view,the customs formalities will probably be the least of the EUs and Britains worries. Neither party really cared about us before,why should thee or me having a delay at a border post worry them now?However,if tariffs and taxes are to be imposed both ways,then it stands to reason that UK importers and exporters prices will go up,having a detremental effect on UK jobs.Alternatively,if a German importer/exporter sees his prices going up,hell simply source his product within the EU.
I know the argument has been made that the UK will simply do its own deals with other, (possibly ex commonwealth) countries,and thats their right.But surely an import/export market on your own door would be a better economic market to remain within.
New Zealand for example has a market of 4million people,and obvious links are strong.Ireland has the same, broadly speaking, market.
We`re 3 hours away by sea,we can be at your doorstep,the following morning.Dare I say,maybe even the same day an order is dispatched.This works both ways obviously.
For my tuppence (or cents) worth,I think it was a bad decision.
Sometimes when I see the bureaucracy coming from Brussels,I wonder would we be wise to maybe do the same thing.
I still respect your decision to go however.
Oh to have a crystal ball!

I’d still vote leave.

SNP trying to get another referendum will just see people not vote for them next time.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Lots of arguments both ways.

But in reality, no one has a clue which is best for the UK, or indeed which is best for Europe. There are too many variables, and no precedent, so it’s impossible to say. All we are currently hearing are opinions, as there are no facts yet available as to which will be the ‘best’ for Britain.
Only time will tell.

Lots of arguments indeed.
And lots of “mistruths”,from both sides.
You pays your money,you makes your choice.
If the extremes on both sides could have been kept sidelined,I think people may have made their own,(very valid),choices.
Sorry to go off thread here,slightly related,but one year exactly,after the same ■■■ marriage referendum over here,they interviewed the “victorious” side of the argument.They said that very important to them was to keep the “over the top,flambuoyant,in your face” campaigners offside,to keep the argument for their campaign,reasoned,well thought out,no scare tactics.They won,and in my opinion that reasoned action won it for them.(I was on the losing side of that also!)
The point being, that the i"n your face",hate filled campaigners,sometimes do more to muddy the waters and confuse people,who then go on to vote with the masses,without thinking it out.

Nobody knows what’s going to happen. As usual, the politicians have lied and lied, making up facts as they go along, to further their agenda.
Nobody knows if factories stay or move to Europe after Brexit. Nobody knows if banks and insurance companies will leave London and move to Franfurt after Brexit. Nobody knows if the government of the day will actually ‘close’ the borders as they have been shouting (to get the little Englander vote). Nobody knows if the ‘rest of the world’ will want to buy whatever we try to sell. And what is it that Britain is producing to sell? What British industry is there left. Not foreign companies manufacturing here, but British companies. And after importing the raw materials, with a devalued Pound, can companies make a profit?

I’ll tell you one thing that is for sure. Workers conditions will not improve…

Just heard that if both sides agree then the two years can be extended with no final time frame … is that right :question:

ROG:
Just heard that if both sides agree then the two years can be extended with no final time frame … is that right :question:

Your borders will not be ‘closed’ anytime soon. The employers in this country will make sure that a steady supply of willing and cheap labour will remain available. …

When will people finally realise, and accept, that politicians lie. They lie.

the actual letter for anyone bothered to read it - scribd.com/document/3433969 … from_embed

the nodding donkey:

ROG:

Your borders will not be ‘closed’ anytime soon. The employers in this country will make sure that a steady supply of willing and cheap labour will remain available. …

When will people finally realise, and accept, that politicians lie. They lie.

If that’s the case why are you so angry about brexit? :wink:

the nodding donkey:
Nobody knows what’s going to happen. As usual, the politicians have lied and lied, making up facts as they go along, to further their agenda.
Nobody knows if factories stay or move to Europe after Brexit. Nobody knows if banks and insurance companies will leave London and move to Franfurt after Brexit. Nobody knows if the government of the day will actually ‘close’ the borders as they have been shouting (to get the little Englander vote). Nobody knows if the ‘rest of the world’ will want to buy whatever we try to sell. And what is it that Britain is producing to sell? What British industry is there left. Not foreign companies manufacturing here, but British companies. And after importing the raw materials, with a devalued Pound, can companies make a profit?

I’ll tell you one thing that is for sure. Workers conditions will not improve

+1, and I think those of us in road transport will see a further deterioration in conditions.

The way this has been rammed through by the government has shown that they want it, and if it benefits them it won’t benefit us…

As I believe I’ve pointed out a few times now, Brexit isn’t about Immigration.

Let’s take a pragmatic look here:

Immigration is here to stay. It’s not practical to send back those already here, and indeed why should we?
We are already supposed to have our borders closed to NON EU immigrants that manage to get here, and then claim “They’ve passed the winning post, so cannot be badly treated”. Getting here is definitely some kind of sports event for them then.
So… We let them ALL in, unless there is a really strong case that we should not. “Strong cases barring entry” are as rare as hen’s teeth alas.

Just count the rough number of entries minus the number in the asylum system to get some idea.

The idea of the EU mis-treating British Citizens abroad - should not be an issue at all. It would be an act of war to mistreat our citizens abroad by ANY nation indeed.

Now let’s take a look at the actual reason I voted Brexit in the end:

To free up the money. £350m a week, £250m a month £11bn a year - whatever that figure really is - we could really do with not spending it any more being a member of a club that’s just too damned expensive.
To take back control of that money, we don’t need the EU to give us anything. We just stop paying.
If the EU deem we owe them “Net Anything at all” - WE will end up stringing it out for years arguing that "We don’t owe this “£60bn” or whatever.
If the UK deem the EU owe them the money on deposit in the European banks - they’ll fob us off with reasons why we cannot have that money back on demand.
Perhaps the tales of Deutsche Bank being a bit stuck for cash right now, go along way to support such a suggestion…

SO… We stop paying the money. The worst the EU can do is cut off their noses on trade or withhold our valid bank deposits over there - an act of theft.
“Not paying the bill” is not the same as “defaulting on a debt” of course. If these things were the same - the UK only need bill the EU for ALL it’s contributions back over the years - since we never agreed to join a political union in the first place, and have been conned these past 40 odd years.

What’s likely to happen from here on - is an attempt by lawyers on both sides to try and cream off as much of these large pots of money in play as possible. If it ends up in 10-20 years time that we’ve spent it all, and hobble out of the broken EU - we’ll be needing a “Nuremburg Trials” for LAWYERS for what harm they have done over a billion people by that point.

Whatever happened to the “Anti Capitalist” wing of the Left btw? We hear lots about “Mustn’t criticize Islam” or “Must criticize anything Right in politics” but what about Civil Disobedience when it comes to the Capitalist Establishment? You don’t see the Snowflakes being told “Go home, and default all your unsecured debts - THAT will teach 'em, these capitalist lenders hah!”

The truth is more working class people as a percentage of working class voted Brexit than Wealthy people actually benefiting from being in the EU having voted Remain. There is a large group of people in the middle who jumped BOTH wrong ways for the wrong reasons.

Truckers who voted Remain because they thought their firm would close down if Leave won…
Doctors who voted Brexit because they thought that the NHS would have to be savagely cut to raise the money for our ongoing EU contributions we we “Remained”…

Both wrong, but very understandable reasons there nonetheless.

What do those people who didn’t vote in the referendum at all - have to say at this point? Are there any on here? Has your opinion been swayed before, during, and since Brexit?

‘Signing the letter’ isn’t the same thing as invoking article 50.That only takes place when the letter is delivered to Donald Tusk.No surprise there’s no confirmation of that happening nor exactly when that will actually happen.IE ‘signing’ the letter on the 29th doesn’t really match the promise of article 50 being ‘invoked’ ‘by’ the ‘end of March’.The idea of trusting remainer May to deliver Brexit is probably naive in the extreme .With it being more likely that the plan is just to delay and divert the process and probably then call a snap election before Brexit ever gets under way.Which will probably then hand the initiative to the remain opposition parties,if/when the Cons lose their small majority,to over turn the referendum vote which she can then use as a scapegoat to divert attention form the remain faction within the Cons.

I am sick to death of hearing from Cleggy Weggy stamping his little footy wooty like when mummy wanted him to eat up all his spinach. Also fed up with hearing from the various business leaders who seem to think that their opinion is so important that they should not have been treated like the rest of us and given ONE vote, but instead been given several hundred votes. As for Farron, he’s just like Sturgeon - an annoying wee yapping dog.

ROG:

I think the hard line from Theresa is we are off after the 2 years is up with or without a deal.