Her and She vehicles etc

I must have a personal problem :blush: in that I find it strange/peculiar that people describe vehicles in a feminine manner :open_mouth: Whenever I hear other drivers male and female talk about their vehicles there is nearly always a reference to she or her!

1. She will pull up the hill regardless
  2. Here she is
  3. I keep her clean
  4. Don’t know what’s wrong with her, she’s usually ok
  5. I’ll kick her down a gear
  6. I live in her all week
  7. She’s a good truck

My truck (gaffers truck but allocated to me :wink: ) is a truck. Can also be called lorry and any other variation of a large vehicle.

1. It pulls up the hill well
  2. It’s here
  3. I keep it clean
  4. something is wrong, it’s usually ok
  5. I’ll knock it down a gear
  6. I live in it all week
  7. It’s a good truck

Could someone please explain to me the differences, cus I’m baffled :neutral_face:

It’s taken you this long to make this observation?

If it’s got wheels or ■■■■, it’s gonna give you trouble…

the nodding donkey:
It’s taken you this long to make this observation?

Observed this a long while ago it’s just taken me a while to get the balls to post it on here and simply ask why :laughing:

dri-diddly-iver:

Show off, you’ll go blind you know. Hope you’re not catholic.

in answer to this question I guess that it is because after the initial outlay trucks like women are high maintenance

dri-diddly-iver:
I must have a personal problem :blush: in that I find it strange/peculiar that people describe vehicles in a feminine manner :open_mouth: Whenever I hear other drivers male and female talk about their vehicles there is nearly always a reference to she or her!

1. She will pull up the hill regardless
  2. Here she is
  3. I keep her clean
  4. Don’t know what’s wrong with her, she’s usually ok
  5. I’ll kick her down a gear
  7. She’s a good truck

My truck (gaffers truck but allocated to me :wink: ) is a truck. Can also be called lorry and any other variation of a large vehicle.

1. It pulls up the hill well
  2. It’s here
  3. I keep it clean
  4. something is wrong, it’s usually ok
  5. I’ll knock it down a gear
  6. I live in it all week
  7. It’s a good truck

Could someone please explain to me the differences, cus I’m baffled :neutral_face:

How PC of you, may be you are turning into a ‘snowflake’ :smiley:

Some languages rely very heavily on assigning a gender to an object, I think it goes back to Latin from which all western European languages are formed, I understand it has something to do with how sentences are structured. The English language has been slowly moving away from gender assignment and our last trait of this has been to refer to boats, ships, trains, lorries, cars, bikes etc as feminine. Sadly in fear of the PC brigade journalists and teachers are now advised against such usage and consequently it is slowly disappearing from our culture :frowning:

to me,its an it…car,truck,ship,etc.its inanimate,hence its an it…ive always found it strange,and makes me think someones full of dung when they relate to things as she.

the nodding donkey:
If it’s got wheels or ■■■■, it’s gonna give you trouble…

+1

Bluey Circles:
How PC of you, may be you are turning into a ‘snowflake’ :smiley:

Some languages rely very heavily on assigning a gender to an object, I think it goes back to Latin from which all western European languages are formed, I understand it has something to do with how sentences are structured. The English language has been slowly moving away from gender assignment and our last trait of this has been to refer to boats, ships, trains, lorries, cars, bikes etc as feminine. Sadly in fear of the PC brigade journalists and teachers are now advised against such usage and consequently it is slowly disappearing from our culture :frowning:

As an aside:
As I understand it the Latin based languages assign gender to words not objects; hence the same object (a bicycle for you) is, in French either
UNE bicyclette (feminine) or UN velo (masculine).
Or another example a glass of beer is either une biere (fem) or un demi (masc).

Correct Mr Franglais. That Latin O level has never been much use…

I always refer to trucks and ships as she, probably because my Dad did. Besides trucks are things of beauty are never stop working, (bit like myself really), so obviously female… :laughing:

You start wrong: “my truck” while it’s your companies tool.
People like to relate to things they look after, as being theirs and in a humanised way, he, she, my, ours, etc.

Not a normal person would call his loved one: the wife, and it is cleaning the house!

Same people would call their roof above their head, my house, even while the bank is still owning 80% of it.

And funny enough we look to cars as a male similair as we look to women, nice shape, nice back end, nice front, easy to get into etc :grimacing:
So yes it’s a she :grimacing:

I always call it she, her, etc. I make no apologies for it.

Albion - love it! :laughing:

My car funnily enough is a him though, its small,its French, its a girls car(typically) and is now starting to be as reliable as the French labour market. Hence it is definitely a fella!

Eddie Stobart name their trucks after women because nobody would get inside “Freddie Mercury” “Elton John” or “George Michael” for £8/hour.

Is it due to affectionate feelings?
My last truck was a “She”. We got on quite well together in spite of her foibles. She always tried to do what I asked of her. Not perfect but reliable.
Now I drive an “old dog”. And “it” was an old dog from when it was brand new. Wilful thing that disobeys/ignores commands and answers back.

I believe it is a tradition carried over from merchant shipping, where boats were often named after the owners’ wives, mothers, and other loved ones.

Harry Monk:
I believe it is a tradition carried over from merchant shipping, where boats were often named after the owners’ wives, mothers, and other loved ones.

If you’re a ship owner I think you need to be a bit careful which other loved ones you call your ship after, or I can see it causing a few awkward questions when you get home? :laughing:

volvo2:
in answer to this question I guess that it is because after the initial outlay trucks like women are high maintenance

Or they’re both very complex and it’s cheaper and less trouble if you rent them. :laughing:

muckles:

Harry Monk:

If you’re a ship owner I think you need to be a bit careful which other loved ones you call your ship after, or I can see it causing a few awkward questions when you get home? :laughing:

“I named my new ship after you love, reminds me of you.”

“Oh which one, the elegant cruise ship”?

“No er…the super Tanker”

Stare

“It has a lovely pair of anchors though, reminds me of your ear rings, just like pat butchers, er…”

Harry Monk:

is that where the phrase…going down on the titanic …comes from then? :smiley:

Muckaway:
Eddie Stobart name their trucks after women because nobody would get inside “Freddie Mercury” “Elton John” or “George Michael” for £8/hour.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :sunglasses: