Your DCPC views

truckyboy:
So Conor is one of those who has seen and done it all, at least we know who to call when we need information for he has all of the answers in his head.

A bit harsh fella …
I think what he was saying was there are things as we have all been saying that need addressing ie All Drivers should know the BASIC rules and regs …as there are tons out there that don’t and that’s the worrying bit…
yes when I came into the industry 30+ years ago all we had was the grey /yellow books you got from the DoT.
It was from there you learnt but as time has gone by nothing changed in the way things were taught.

Its taken 30 yrs for this country to realise that just able to drive anything is just not enough the drivers of today need teaching the other tools and knowledge required ( drivers hours , WTD, and other stuff).

I’m all for this Driver Education but it (the DCPC) as I and others have said from the start it needs to be formatted so that the very basic’s are taught and understood.

The three best improvements they could make to the DCPC are:

1. For classroom based courses get rid of the compulsory training attendance and replace it with a multi-choice type tests.
  2. Scrap it altogether.
  3. Replace JAUPT with a competent none profit administrative/regulatory authority.

It is nothing more than a racket that serves no purpose other than to ensure that we donate 35 hours of our lives and a chunk of change to the training industry.
There is no requirement to impart or gain knowledge domonstrated by no pre or post test.

You cannot improve what you cannot measure!

More to the point it penalises drivers that have acted profesionally by attempting to stay abrest of the ever changing rules and regulations by with out measure, classing them as in need of training.

I would rather see increase penalties for breaches of the rules, this may encourage some to make the effort to understand what they are doing.

I this day and age (mobile nternet) there is no need to have every fact rammed in to your head as long as you understand what you ar doing and no where to get information if you dont.

Some one some where decided that drivers were unaware of there responsabilities! this says more about those that hire and fire than anything else!

Coffee time.

truckyboy:
So Conor is one of those who has seen and done it all, at least we know who to call when we need information for he has all of the answers in his head…

I certainly don’t need to ask the questions often asked on this forum, virtually all of which are basic stuff that every driver is required to know to do the job, and its been half a decade since I set foot in a truck.

I could take a tacho test tomorrow and breeze it.

Quite funny you slag off UK haulage for not having any training methods then slag off DCPC which was brought in to address that. Shouldn’t really expect much more from someone who calls themselves professional whilst at the same time telling someone to try and get fuel and the load etc nicked from the truck to get an employer to pay for parking.

bazstan009:
Some one some where decided that drivers were unaware of there responsabilities!
Coffee time.

Yeah, the DVSA as proven by the long endless list of dumbass steering wheel attendants dropping their loads all over the place, whacking bridges and having endless tacho infringements.

Conor:

bazstan009:
Some one some where decided that drivers were unaware of there responsabilities!
Coffee time.

Yeah, the DVSA as proven by the long endless list of dumbass steering wheel attendants dropping their loads all over the place, whacking bridges and having endless tacho infringements.

Quote out of context!
Is doing five days (same course 5 times) going to cure the problems you list?

Punish the incompetent and more importantly punish the employer who is more interested paying lowest rate than making sure staff are competant.

I was 100% against the dcpc until I attended my first course which was drivers hours and use of digi tacho. Given the number of thick ■■■■■ who had been doing the job since the M62 was cobbled, yet they didn’t understand the basic driver hour rules, I now accept that some form of training is needed.

Clearly there are many true professionals within our industry who take the time to learn and remember the rules and regs so sitting in a classroom watching powerpoint presentations is a waste of their time and money.

I think a good way to go about this would be a requirement for all drivers to attend a short exam. If they score say 80% correct then they are allowed to go home until the next 5 year anniversary, score below 80% and you are assessed to find what your weaknesses are and the course is tailored to suit your shortcomings. You should not be allowed to driver for hire or reward until you pass the exam, this would definitely raise the bar and ensure we are all educated to an acceptable level.

Re truckbling.
Would go a long way to making the thing acceptable in my view.

Quite funny you slag off UK haulage for not having any training methods then slag off DCPC which was brought in to address that. Shouldn’t really expect much more from someone who calls themselves professional whilst at the same time telling someone to try and get fuel and the load etc nicked from the truck to get an employer to pay for parking.
Conor.
Man made global warming is a massive lie concocted and exploited by governments and business to extort money out of us.
East Anglia University Climate Research Unit, the world leaders, have falsified data and have outright lied to everyone.
Conor

All tongue in cheek Conor, maybe hoping that one day ALL employers will be responsible to pay parking in decent facilities to give their drivers a degree of comfort in their few hours off, instead of Forcing them to park in unsavoury areas like laybys.
Again with the introduction of the DCPC i learnt absolutely nothing new and in my opinion it is flawed. I would rather have learnt first aid but i dont have the answers as to what should be included in any form of training for existing drivers, for new drivers i would like to see a compulsion from government, that all transport companies should be open to train newbies in a lot of the aspects of this industry, for a start a company who runs fridges, tippers, flats, tauts, low loaders, could teach wannabee drivers a great deal, then into the classroom for the safety aspects and tacho and WTD,international work, to give a wannabee all the help he needs in order to have some idea as to what the job entails, who is gonna pay, i dont know, but maybe a fund from employers would ensure a newbie has the basic knowledge to fulfill the job requirements, and there would be no need for insurance /employers to insist on an age related start, or the minimum 2 yrs experience, as part of the training could be with another driver, and then on his own merit.We as so called professionals are open to teach the youngsters the way forward, but who is gonna teach them, we have all experienced the agency drivers asking questions when they come into where we work, excuse me, can you tell me how to turn the fridge on, that is very basic, but always asked, how do you connect the airlines, even seen them lying on their backs trying to connect a fridge, etc etc, with proper training all drivers would know the basics such as these, and not the bollox thats being shewn with the DCPC.

Just to point out that although it is constantly suggested DCPC was brought in because it was identified drivers had gaps in theoretical knowledge and therefore needed training this idea is simply not true at all.

The reason for its introduction and aim is to encourage new young drivers into the industry. Unfortunately, it does not elaborate on why some pointless classroom training, a lot of it delivered and produced by morons, is enticing to young people but, there you go, apparently they thought it would be.

Truckbling:
I think a good way to go about this would be a requirement for all drivers to attend a short exam. If they score say 80% correct then they are allowed to go home until the next 5 year anniversary, score below 80% and you are assessed to find what your weaknesses are and the course is tailored to suit your shortcomings.

I’ve been saying for some time that a test is the best route to replace classroom based training, however I completely disagree about the training to suit your needs.

The solution to replace classroom training is simple, a test, pass it and that module is done, fail it and you need to study and take the test again.

I can see no good points about compulsory classroom training, it’s expensive and unnecessary.

Furthermore, anyone who thinks the DCPC was created for training purposes please explain why currently recognised training courses such as ADR, Hiab, Moffet ec’t are not automatically approved by JAUPT without additional payment.

Conor,… seriously mate :unamused: , I don’t know if it’s your intention to come across as some" I know better than you all" patronising champion of the DCPC, but if it is, well you are achieving it with merit bud, trust me on that.
If anybody dares to ask a question on driver’s hours for eg., you are on it like a vulture with the Conor classic “That’s what the DCPC is for” :unamused: Give it a rest man ffs, and look at the broader picture that it’s main agenda is to raise revenue or are most of us wrong and Conor is right.
I seem to remember a while back you asking if I had ever even driven a truck :laughing: , and later you making a general comment about me supposedly asking stupid questions but when I repeatedly asked for an example nothing came back, but hey, feel free to trawl through my 2000+ posts as you appear to have done with Truckyboy to prove a point, as I am sure you will eventually find something, as unlike you I do not profess to know every thing about everything even after 35yrs doing this ■■■■ in different varities over those years.
I also notice you appear to have a problem with the more experienced drivers on here, I agree some are a bit misinformed, but certainly not the majority as in your opinion.

As for the DCPC question, here is my opinion set out at the risk of you belittling it in your own inimitable way. :neutral_face:

The question of professionalism, (or lack of) could be ascertained by an initial written test taken by all drivers, those that do not pass send on a DCPC course, those that do will get a certificate…simple. As for repeating it at set periods not necessary,
The basis of the problem is with the lack of selection process for drivers. Once over you needed a set of skills to drive a non Automatic truck, unlike today a chalk and cheese situation from driving a car. You needed to know how to put 3 sheets on a trailer neatly and secure, you needed to know how to read a map, you definitely needed to use and show initiative, a lot of wannabe drivers could not hack some or all of these and jacked the idea, so it was a natural selection process.
Nowadays you need none of these to obtain a licence so the f/whits are getting through the net that they once would be unable to get through, hence you get the bridge bashers, the special needs types and the list you came up with yourself on the other DCPC thread.

I don’t know what the answer is to up the profile of the haulage industry, what I do know it aint the DCPC in it’s present form that you keep banging on about at every opportunity on here.

robroy:
Conor,… seriously mate, I don’t know if it’s your intention to come across as some" I know better than you all" patronising champion of the DCPC, but if you are you are achieving it with merit, trust me.

I seem to remember a while back you making a general comment about me supposedly asking stupid questions but when asked for an example nothing came back, feel free to trawl through my 2000+ posts as you appear to have done with Truckyboy to prove a point, as I am sure you will eventually find something.
I also notice you appear to have a problem with the more experienced drivers on here, I agree some are a bit misinformed, but certainly not the majority as in your opinion.

As for the DCPC question, here is my opinion set out at the risk of you belittling it in your own inimitable way. :neutral_face:

The question of professionalism, (or lack of) could be ascertained by an initial exam taken by all drivers, those that do not pass send on a DCPC course, those that do will get a certificate…simple.
The basis of the problem is with the lack of selection process, once over you needed a set of skills to drive a non Automatic truck, you needed to know how to put 3 sheets on a trailer neatly and secure, you needed to know how to read a map, you definitely needed to use and show initiative, a lot of wannabe drivers could not hack some or all of these so it was a natural selection process.
Nowadays you need none of these to obtain a licence so the f/whits are getting through the net that they once would be unable to get through, hence you get the bridge bashers, the special needs types and the list you came up with yourself.
I don’t know what the answer is to up the profile of the haulage industry, what I do know it aint the DCPC in it’s present form that you keep banging on about at every opportunity on here.

and not forgetting Conor hasn’t set foot in a truck for half a decade, as he was shunting round goole in green for tosscos! :grimacing: shunters = failed truck drivers as the keep going round in circles :sunglasses:

Fatboy slimslow:
and not forgetting Conor hasn’t set foot in a truck for half a decade

Maybe that is why he is so ■■■■■■■ wise, he has maybe spent the last 5yrs studying the DCPC syllabus :smiley: …Sorry cheap shot :blush: :blush: :wink:

viking7000:
‘…OK most think DCPC is bad for lots of reasons … What about you guys…?’

Off the cuff, in the absence of commonly accepted evidence I strongly suspect the DCPC’s supposed but horribly compulsory ‘need’ by which it’s being forced onto the EU’s UK zone has not been sufficiently scoped or analysed by any credibly independent (ie, non-EU dominated), UK entity to suit UK transport and UK HGV driver’s needs.

Eg, The (abitrary and vaguely random) 35 hrs should consist of what, has been justified by whom, being based on what and when? When is the whole due for review - and by whom?

As such it hideously fails at the first hurdle - yet 99.9% of pro-EU Westminster MP’s elect to focus on saving and/or policing the planet instead of managing their back-yard as UK HGV driver’s need them to - if not least for confidence in the pro-EU policies their political twits invariably advocate and which HGV drivers seemingly choose to overlook :open_mouth:

PS. Fair to argue that I’m a single issue voter - with the EU’s uselessness being that issue :smiley:

Fatboy slimslow:

robroy:
Conor,… seriously mate, I don’t know if it’s your intention to come across as some" I know better than you all" patronising champion of the DCPC, but if you are you are achieving it with merit, trust me.

I seem to remember a while back you making a general comment about me supposedly asking stupid questions but when asked for an example nothing came back, feel free to trawl through my 2000+ posts as you appear to have done with Truckyboy to prove a point, as I am sure you will eventually find something.

The question of professionalism, (or lack of) could be ascertained by an initial exam taken by all drivers, those that do not pass send on a DCPC course, those that do will get a certificate…simple.
The basis of the problem is with the lack of selection process, once over you needed a set of skills to drive a non Automatic truck, you needed to know how to put 3 sheets on a trailer neatly and secure, you needed to know how to read a map, you definitely needed to use and show initiative, a lot of wannabe drivers could not hack some or all of these so it was a natural selection process.
Nowadays you need none of these to obtain a licence so the f/whits are getting through the net that they once would be unable to get through, hence you get the bridge bashers, the special needs types and the list you came up with yourself.

and not forgetting Conor hasn’t set foot in a truck for half a decade, as he was shunting round goole in green for tosscos! :grimacing: shunters = failed truck drivers as the keep going round in circles :sunglasses:

he got sacked from that job too :smiley:

I’m not against training as such, but my experience was that the DCPC has been a waste of time. I’m sure those that needed to learn or be reminded of tacho and WTD regs went away none the wiser or worse with a load of muddled information in their head believing it’s right.

I think sticking a load of drivers in a room and trying to to feed the information isn’t the best way to train drivers who by the nature of the job they’ve chosen generally aren’t classroom type people.

I like the suggestions of a more piratical/ hands on approach to training I’m sure far more information would be retained that way. a couple of hours good quality practical training is probably far more effective than a day sitting in a classroom listening to an instructor, video’s and the loud mouth know it all at the back.

I also like the idea of taking a test at the start of a 5 year period and if you pass no point in training or pick the training you need, such as ADR, Hiab, etc.

muckles:
I like the suggestions of a more piratical/ hands on approach

:smiley:

muckles:
a couple of hours good quality practical training is probably far more effective than a day sitting in a classroom listening to an instructor, video’s and the loud mouth know it all at the back

+1

muckles:

I aint going down the road dressed as a Pirate for anybody, wearing hi-viz is bad enough :laughing:

robroy:

muckles:

I aint going down the road dressed as a Pirate for anybody, wearing hi-viz is bad enough :laughing:

Well Spotted :blush: :laughing: