You think sleeping next to a fridge is bad?

raymundo:

idrive:
Used to go to a fish processing factory in Edmonton. There was a truck that came around to collect the waste fish guts. My god it stank when he opened the hatch, instant wretching, but the driver had been doing it so long he said that he couldn’t smell it anymore…

What sort of fish are not gutted on the trawlers that catch 'em ■■

Herrings.
This place made kosher food so had to be inspected by a rabbi whilst prepared but as far as I know herrings in general are landed ungutted, as several other fish sometimes are including salmon and mackrel

I woke up next to a cattle wagon a while ago, a lot of moo-ing and banging, and a brown puddle that made me pull forward out of the bay before doing my walk around checks! :laughing:

I always feel sorry for chickens huddled in those plastic cages being blown around in the windblast, doesn’t look like a fun ride! Same for cows and sheep tbh!

I once stopped on a laybye on the a66…and someone had dumped a whole load of fish skeletons.

dreamingofoz:
Got woke up at 4am this morning to find one one of those bulkers that take the animal parts to the rendering plants was parked behind me. What a god awful smell! Don’t know how the hell anyone could stand to drive one of those things! At least with a fridge you can put earplugs in.

God what’s wrong with you man…never woke up with a minger before :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Anyone remember Nightingale Hall Farm, Lancaster? (Don’t bother googling, it’s gone now)
They used to collect animal waste from abbatoirs, heads, hooves, stomachs, guts, and process it into bone meal, fertiliser, god knows what else, probably Crab Stix.
Class 3 (back then) skip wagons.
Check out the Lancaster Guardian for report on that place. Complaints? Millions.

THIS… was my second job, after the general haulage/removals one, after leaving the Army in 78.

I honestly do not know why I took this job when it was offered to me. But I did. And I got on with it.
The smells in that place were the most godawful smells I have ever had the misfortune to smell. They stuck to your clothes, they stuck to your skin, they followed you around town, an absolute nightmare of a job, for smells.
3 drivers, including me (a noob 23 year old, class 2)
Spaulding. Just “Spaulding”, no one ever knew his first name. late 40s, 6’ 2" of pale, skinny, round glasses, attitude :slight_smile: This guy cracked me up on more than one occasion. Just a funny guy without knowing why what he said was funny.
John Gibson: Late 40s early 50s, obviously an Elvis fan. Right down to the lapels up on his denim jacket, the BLACK dyed hair, the winklepickers, the American flag patches on his jackets.
Great, GREAT blokes. Mines of information for a noob like me.
What I liked about them is that they were willing to sit down and chat, to give up their time to talk to me.

A couple of episodes come to mind…
I was sent to Chesterfield to do a skip swap.
Got down to the M way roundabout at Chesterfield and had to brake hard to avoid hitting a car.
All of a sudden my windscreen went black, totally blacked out, no light whatsoever, couldn’t see ■■■■ all! WTF■■?
Turned out that I’d backed up to, and picked up, a half empty/full skip of what they called Oxo. A wateryish mishmash of some…I dunno…stuff…kinda gloopy. But proper BLACK. TM said I got the wrong one, I disagree because he was an idiot at the best of time.
As I jammed on the brakes it had all slurped over the front of the skip and covered the cab, windscreen, and most of the next 20 yards of road in this stuff :smiley: Not kiddin, total blackout.
Wiped enough off the screen, with me jumper, to get me to the job and get sorted. Shame about the jumper, it was…nah, it wasn’t.

ANother one from Chesterfield…Had a load, proper full load (No need to sheet it, driver, they’ll stick like ■■■■ to a blanket) of stomachs. Heading back to base.
These stomachs are like basketballs. Full, round, solid.
Again, had to brake hard. Was amazed to see a couple of hundred of these things go bouncing down the M6 in front of me :smiley:
blocked 2 lanes while I was picking them up :smiley:

BTW, just qualified as a John Lewis Installer.
Coming to your house soon :smiley:

idrive:

What sort of fish are not gutted on the trawlers that catch 'em ■■
[/quote]
Herrings.
This place made kosher food so had to be inspected by a rabbi whilst prepared but as far as I know herrings in general are landed ungutted, as several other fish sometimes are including salmon and mackerel
[/quote]
Don’t know why but forgot about that type, a rather large fishing boat used to run into Plymouth where the mackerel were sucked out of the fish hold and blown straight into bulkers, never went short of a bucket or two to smoke either … apple wood smoked mackerel you canna beat … :slight_smile:

One step further with carp, there are fishmongers in London that sell them alive. You pick them out of a tank and they chop the head off in front of you

slowlane:
I always feel sorry for chickens huddled in those plastic cages being blown around in the windblast, doesn’t look like a fun ride! Same for cows and sheep tbh!

Chicken slaughterhouse I used to go to in Tarleton, any chickens that escaped from the crates were spared the knife and allowed to live in the yard, there was quite a brood of them running around

idrive:
One step further with carp, there are fishmongers in London that sell them alive. You pick them out of a tank and they chop the head off in front of you

slowlane:

Chicken slaughterhouse I used to go to in Tarleton, any chickens that escaped from the crates were spared the knife and allowed to live in the yard, there was quite a brood of them running around

That’s cool that.

So long as they had to viz tabards and safety boots and stuck to marked walkways :laughing:

idrive:

That’s nice of them haha.
I witnessed a cow make an escape while being unloaded off a float one evening. It ran laps round the abattoirs yard for 20 minutes before the gang of johnny foreigners managed to pen it in a corner. Unfortunately it wasn’t spared as they gunned it down there and then and cut it’s throat.
Scooped it straight into my trailer as it was no longer fit for consumption having been killed outside.

Bernard Matthews at Lenwade Norwich. Summer and you could smell the place a mile away. The skip loads of waste were enough to make you want to throw… horrible place…

mrginge:
Put the ear plugs up your nose?

Made my day that has :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

used to haul fish gut from aberdeen to grimsby in a bulker then load fish meal back to either longridge or grangemouth or invergordon, whenever we were ever pulled at either stirling or beatock we were never there longer than 5 minutes cause the stink hung around on the hot days so we were always chased out as soon as we came in lol

We collect fallen stock from farms and take them to a rendering site. We also collect waste from butchers shops and out of date food from supermarkets. We always try and avoid parking anywhere near other people

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk