You might actually enjoy this latest T&D blag - GEARBOXES!!!

railstaff:
AS Tronic and now Traxon is a twin countershaft box.

Are you sure ?

V8Lenny:

railstaff:
AS Tronic and now Traxon is a twin countershaft box.

Are you sure ?

That would make sense. The AS-Tronic 2 was an automated constant-mesh 'box and you could hear it blipping the throttle to match the revs. It used to drive me mad! I wanted to shout ‘I can do that, giss a job!’ Robert

What is all this talk about gearboxes !!1
Lucy, Turn the button to “D” when you want to go forward, “N” when you stop and “R” when you want to go backwards, thats it, simple.
Who rearly wants to know what is going on under the cab in all that metal stuff.
Window down, arm out and resting, sun glasses on and dream the dream. Harvey

HRS:
What is all this talk about gearboxes !!1
Lucy, Turn the button to “D” when you want to go forward, “N” when you stop and “R” when you want to go backwards, thats it, simple.
Who rearly wants to know what is going on under the cab in all that metal stuff.
Window down, arm out and resting, sun glasses on and dream the dream. Harvey

Harvey, Turn the button to Snowflake symbol when you want fresh air, simple. Who needs all that dust and noise with the window down?
Just push the left foot to the floor to engage the clutch-brake, ease the Fuller gearstick into 2nd, obtain clutch-bite release the handbrake and dream the dream! :sunglasses: :laughing: :laughing:

Why has no-one mentioned the old gate change as fitted to old (ancient?) Scammells?

Steve

Those that had experience of them are either dead or don’t want reminding of them!

Oddly, Lucy asked for ‘classic’ gearboxes. She didn’t specify preferred or much-loved 'boxes. So presumably, much-despised 'boxes that were nonetheless classics in a perverse kind of way must be included. After all, if the EPS can be included, why not the Scammell gate-change? Robert :wink:

“snowflake Robert” rearly !!! The badge of a driver was the “Brown” right arm, Lucy will call this “Cool” in modern speak.
Clutch brake !! starting in 2nd :open_mouth: Fuller boxes, Robert, there is help out there.
I remember a two stick AEC Army Militant and no one new any better at the time… Buttons Robert,… Buttons.
An owner driver passed me the other week, empty flat trailer and on the back of his cab in big writing was the wording, ANOTHER DAY IN PARADISE. ( empty trailer )
Things have changed mate !! Harvey

HRS:
“snowflake Robert” rearly !!! The badge of a driver was the “Brown” right arm, Lucy will call this “Cool” in modern speak.
Clutch brake !! starting in 2nd :open_mouth: Fuller boxes, Robert, there is help out there.
I remember a two stick AEC Army Militant and no one new any better at the time… Buttons Robert,… Buttons.
An owner driver passed me the other week, empty flat trailer and on the back of his cab in big writing was the wording, ANOTHER DAY IN PARADISE. ( empty trailer )
Things have changed mate !! Harvey

I concede with regard to brown arm syndrome Harvey! When I was driving both right and left-hookers regularly there were occasions when I could even up the arms :laughing: .
As for starting in 2nd, don’t forget that 1st in a Fuller 'box was crawler! :wink: ‘Another day in paradise’ on a flat trailer may be a reminder that HSE now forbids the driver from climbing onto it. I would’ve loved a play with that AEC Militant :sunglasses: . Warm regards, Robert.

Ste46:
Why has no-one mentioned the old gate change as fitted to old (ancient?) Scammells?

Steve

My dad drove a Pioneer wrecker with a 12speed gatechange in the Suez canal zone whilst doing national service in REME. He doesn’t have anything positive to say about that gearbox at all; although he did enjoy the experience overall.

Little storey,
A number of people sat in a doctors waiting room.
One chap is sat expressionless with a wooden mallet in his hand and every now and again he gives the side of his head a good smack and then smiles.
Eventually someone says, excuse me, but why are you doing that.
He says, because it is so nice when i stop.
So: to all you lovers of the old crash boxes, ask yourself this simple question.
" Did you enjoy the end of the day, better than the begining ■■?" Harvey :laughing:

HRS:
Little storey,
One chap is sat expressionless with a wooden mallet in his hand and every now and again he gives the side of his head a good smack and then smiles.
So: to all you lovers of the old crash boxes, ask yourself this simple question.
" Did you enjoy the end of the day, better than the begining ■■?" Harvey :laughing:

I ended the day tired but happy; feeling skillful, responsible and appreciated :sunglasses: . Robert

When I worked for a Seddon Atkinson dealer around the time of the SA 400 & 401 changeover it was rather a confusing time road testing vehicles. The range fitted a variety of gearboxes. Fuller in both overdrive and IIRC direct drive versions too, all of which were to be found in both the reversed 400 pattern and the normal ones for the 401. But Spicer boxes were also featured in the 401 and 301 . The 300 had a 6 speed ZF, the 200 a reversed pattern Turner (I think) and the 201 the same box in standard pattern and both with a two speed axle. The 400 also had the six speed David Brown in reverse pattern and IIRC both the 400 and 401 had the option of the 8 speed David Brown as well. If this wasn’t enough we still saw the occasional Atkinson with both DB and Fuller, but also we took in a variety of other makes, Foden 8/9/12 speed often, Leyland Constructors often, and some REME workshops overflow and Council gritters, so apart from TK Bedfords we got AECs and even Scammells with the gate change 6 speed 'box. Some of this extra work was for OD customers so there were some older genuine Leylands too. Since one of the local recovery companies dragged in some breakdowns to us we got some interesting vehicle turn up, I can still recall a RABA from Hungarocamion with a collapsed crankshaft damper appearing which ISTR had a column change ZF.

Happy days. :smiley:

ERF-NGC-European:

HRS:
Little storey,

I ended the day tired but happy; feeling skillful, responsible and appreciated :sunglasses: . Robert

I like you Robert, Yep!!! you are right, to be successful driving, you had to develope skills beyond modern days understanding and that was a great sauce of pride, ime only having fun with you.
I was about 5 years with ERF and demonstrated the (TS12612 eaton twin splitter to many a poor sole. ( pre buttons or clicks of the stick).
Proper drivers got it very quickly and if I could get them to not use the clutch ( after start and stop of course) they loved it.
However the spotty faced brigade with a peek at the back of thier caps and wanting a Scania, were dead in the water.
I know when you first learn to ride a horse you must gain there undevided attention, but I had never seen it applied to an ERF before. Best wishes Harvey

HRS:

ERF-NGC-European:

HRS:
Little storey,

I like you Robert, Yep!!! you are right, to be successful driving, you had to develope skills beyond modern days understanding and that was a great sauce of pride, ime only having fun with you.
I was about 5 years with ERF and demonstrated the (TS12612 eaton twin splitter to many a poor sole. ( pre buttons or clicks of the stick).
Proper drivers got it very quickly and if I could get them to not use the clutch ( after start and stop of course) they loved it.
However the spotty faced brigade with a peek at the back of thier caps and wanting a Scania, were dead in the water.
I know when you first learn to ride a horse you must gain there undevided attention, but I had never seen it applied to an ERF before. Best wishes Harvey

:smiley: I too was a great fan of the Twin-splitter. Robert

Good morning Robert,
Strange is’nt it, The twin split came to an end because it would not pass the new legislation for noise but its basic feature ( constant mesh ) is in all the new auto boxes as they cant get a quick change out of a synchro box with all the rings slowing it down. so, on the good side, we all still drive a “Crash box” eh !!! cheers Harvey

HRS:
Good morning Robert,
Strange is’nt it, The twin split came to an end because it would not pass the new legislation for noise but its basic feature ( constant mesh ) is in all the new auto boxes as they cant get a quick change out of a synchro box with all the rings slowing it down. so, on the good side, we all still drive a “Crash box” eh !!! cheers Harvey

Do the big boys do a manual box anymore?

Retired Old ■■■■:
Those that had experience of them are either dead or don’t want reminding of them!

Oi , I resemble that remark , proper gearbox that Scammel gate change , smooth as silk especially if you took that rattly gate off.

[/quote]
:smiley: I too was a great fan of the Twin-splitter. Robert
[/quote]
I got a new ERF in 1987. 290 ■■■■■■■■ twin splitter gearbox. I picked it up at Ackworth and set off back to Birtley depot. I did struggle a bit with the gearchange, so I called in at an ERF dealer for some info.
The guy that came out to see me was an old acquaintance from years past, after the usual banter about drivers and screwdrivers, and me reminding him of the major bollock he had dropped when repairing a previous motor of mine :wink: :wink:, he said to me, why don’t you put in the explanatory cassette tape? that should do the job!!
Now anyone who knows Onward Tranport will remember them as a great company with good wages and conditions, but!! Tight with the brass, although they were supposed to come with a radio cassette as standard, the fleet engineer had negotiated the deal for these without radios.
Anyway, Malcolm explained the procedure and we went out for a quick test drive, it was excellent. I loved that gearbox from that day on. It was so fast a change, no cluch needed after moving off and you could speed the split shifts up by pre-selecting then quickly stick out of cog and back in without even dropping the revs. Magic!!
Great memories, regards Kev.

I was on the late shift at Turners one evening and an agency driver reported for duty. He was allocated an ERF with a twin-splitter and as it happened, unusually, it was coupled to a trailer ready to go. About 45 minutes later we got a telephone call off the cab phone and he was in a layby on the Cambridge bypass, and he was almost in tears, saying he was beaten by the gearbox and couldn’t go any further. I took the phone, calmed the driver down and offered to talk him through how to drive the ERF. I thought at the time “this won’t work, but I’ll give it a go”. So with my guidance he got in gear and set off and I talked him through every gear change for about 20 minutes, and I actually brought him off the dual carriageway and up a slip road, round a roundabout and back onto the main road so that he could change down the box. As he seemed to have got the hang of it I left him to it. Next evening he was back with us again, and fair does to him, he came and thanked me, shook my hand, and told me it was the best bit of instruction on driving he had been given. For that night’s shift he’d been allocated a Volvo, but he asked for an ERF twin-splitter, he was definitely a convert.