Yellow air lead on first off last

jrl driver:
i was taught to put the leads on furthest away from you,then take them off nearest to you,so make things a bit eaiser so your not getting tangled up in them.
never heard anything about taking off the yellow line first…

DITTO

connecting farthest to nearest

disconnecting nearest to farthest

I use the nemonic BLACK to unhook

Brakes
Legs
Airlines (etc)
Clip (dog)
Kingpin release
just reverse the order for hooking up

oh and always remember the number plate :blush:

merc0447:
Surely the company who is buying can spec what ever side they want?

You are often restricted in that choice due to the positioning of stuff such as air tanks, battery boxes, air filters and so on. Sure you could put it were you want but it might mean relocating other things.

I always put the red line on before anything else because it often requires me to put my weight (don’t laugh!) behind it and then do a twist and if there’s no other lines in the way then its easier, and cleaner. I don;t end up brushing against anyother lines. The rest just push and pull easily.

Looks like a lot of useful info here… soe.org.uk/resources/technical-guides/

Coffeeholic:
Couldn’t find the old thread but this is how the H&S folks say it should be done.

But then again, the H&S folks say that four surveyors standing in the middle of a field should wear hard hats :wink:

beattun:
as long as youre not one of these morons who changes trailers without putting the unit park brake on, you wont have a problem

Yep, those morons shouldn’t be on the road. :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=43585

jrl driver:

bubsy06:
I put the ABS lead in first sometimes, is that ok or do I risk blowing up the trailer?

no,you’ll just blow up the flux capacitor!!! :open_mouth:

Well i for one am still going to try :smiling_imp:

merc0447:
Surely the company who is buying can spec what ever side they want?

Buy a Magnum & you have the steps on both sides :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :laughing:

Banquo:
Can anyone explain in simple terms why the yellow air lead should always be put on first and taken off last? Is it that important?

its just the one which brakes the Trailer.
The Red Line is the Supplier.

So you put on the Yellow which gives Garanty that Trailer is braked if Handbrake on Unit is on.
The red Line first would open the Trailer Brake.
Now
to un-hook to dis-connect first the Red Line to keep trailer braked.If you dis-connect first the Yellow the Trailer Brake would open

beattun:
no, its up to you to establish your own system, and stick to it, regimently.

as long as youre not one of these morons who changes trailers without putting the unit park brake on, you wont have a problem

We just had one who lost the Trailer running backwards the Fifth Wheel down when he dis-connected first the Yellow :grimacing:

ncooper:

merc0447:
Is it not red on first and off last as red is the emergency line and yellow is the service line? Say for instance the shunt button is on and park brake off and you’ve not hooked up properly over the pin etc you stick the yellow on is there not a possibility you could be crushed between trailer and unit?
I put on yellow first purely for the fact it can be a bugger at times and my knee is sometimes required.

If the shunt button and trailer brake buttons are both in ( and the trailer air is up), the trailer is free to roll wherever is it pushed.
It should never be in this state unless firmly attached to a tractor unit.

If the unit applies the trailer brake with its handbrake, connecting the yellow line will apply the trailer brakes whether the shunt button is out or not.
If, like a Volvo or Scania, the unit handbrake does not apply the trailer brake, connecting the yellow line will have no effect.

Connecting the red line will push the shunt button out and if the driver has been stupid or careless enough to leave both the trailer brake and tractor handbrake off, then the combination is free to roll away with probably tragic results.

In my opinion, no driver should even consider stepping onto the catwalk until he is quite sure that both brakes are applied.
After that, it doesn’t matter which line or lead is connected first or last.

Regards,
Nick.

I didn’t know that. you learn something new everyday

Dropped an empty one on it’s knees once! :blush: I Always check the unit park brake is on as I get down from the cab!
It never occured to me the airline order! Always started with the Red airline!

Gates:

ncooper:

merc0447:
Is it not red on first and off last as red is the emergency line and yellow is the service line? Say for instance the shunt button is on and park brake off and you’ve not hooked up properly over the pin etc you stick the yellow on is there not a possibility you could be crushed between trailer and unit?
I put on yellow first purely for the fact it can be a bugger at times and my knee is sometimes required.

If the shunt button and trailer brake buttons are both in ( and the trailer air is up), the trailer is free to roll wherever is it pushed.
It should never be in this state unless firmly attached to a tractor unit.

If the unit applies the trailer brake with its handbrake, connecting the yellow line will apply the trailer brakes whether the shunt button is out or not.
If, like a Volvo or Scania, the unit handbrake does not apply the trailer brake, connecting the yellow line will have no effect.

Connecting the red line will push the shunt button out and if the driver has been stupid or careless enough to leave both the trailer brake and tractor handbrake off, then the combination is free to roll away with probably tragic results.

In my opinion, no driver should even consider stepping onto the catwalk until he is quite sure that both brakes are applied.
After that, it doesn’t matter which line or lead is connected first or last.

Regards,
Nick.

I didn’t know that. you learn something new everyday

Yes,but not just Volvo and Scania.
I had to swap my Handbrake Valve to get the Trailer braked with Unit hand Brake.
Just 2 Screws but lots of Money. OK,i took a used Valve. Its the one in the Cab you apply the Handbrake.
just DAF didnt do it.I had to go to a wabco house who found out by the Book with which it could be replaced.

Harry Monk:

beattun:

Yep, those morons shouldn’t be on the road. :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=43585

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for all your replies, good to know that there was a reason

Where is the trailer park button located usually on the trailer ?

philtvc65:
Where is the trailer park button located usually on the trailer ?

It varies. It is often situated near the winding handle but it can also be placed between the last axle and the rear of the trailer or on the headboard next to the air and electric line connectors. Sometime it is in a small box with a lid or just fixed to the chassis rail.

I was just taught that it was red first off and last on, on a Volvo anyway.

Anyone else used those new Don Bur trailers with the couplings that swing out when you press the button so you don’t have to get up on the catwalk. More trouble than it’s worth if you ask me.