Yawn.......Don't wake me up for this

A good debate here, at this point in time there is no way I would get out of my pit for this pittance.
But in years gone I have certainly taken some crap jobs, to ensure my 3 kids didn’t go hungry, and had a decent place to live, with overtime,(and christ I’ve done some) even bad paying jobs far outway benifit money, and there is no harder job in the world than boardam.
For the new drivers this is a possible oppertunity to gain the experiance that the better employers require, and geography we all know influences potential earnings.
There are also those who mortgage paid, don;t need to chase the coin, but hours to suit may find it a job that suits.
Definatly a poor rate for the job we do, but in the current economic climate a rate employers can get away with it.
I have a good steady job, but in the last 3 years have had below infation pay increases, and no way expect this years pay settlement to meet the current inflation rates, so for the last years have taken in real terms a pay cut, with increased taxation.
Not the perfect senario, but with the DCPC I can see rates rising well above inflation as they did in the 90’s.,whatever the cost of fuel,labour is the supply chain always has to keep turning.

I wouldn’t get out of bed for less than a tenner an hour :stuck_out_tongue: … which is why I’m not a trucker anymore. :slight_smile:

Dunno how you people go on working for pathetic amounts like £6.50/hr. When you take off your training costs, travelling costs, taxes and also the time commuting to and from work you’re better off on the dole. Seriously. Trucking is a mugs game now. The only people that still do it are those that don’t know have the noggin to do any other trade.

merc0447:
If a painter makes a mistake he can re-do the wall, if a chippy makes a mistake he can buy another bit of timber. If a lorry driver makes a mistake people die.

£6.50 for that kind of burden worth it? Im own a decent wage but if i was unemployed i would take a job at 6.50 but it wouldn’t be driving lorries it would be stacking a shelf away from the firing line. Paying for cpc, digi card, possible fines , [zb] hours , the stress of the rat race everyday for 6.50 away you go.

What a load of scaremongering ■■■■■■■■!!!

It’s hardly rocket science driving a truck, and if you want stress try running one, not sitting behind the wheel of one financed by someone else, using their fuel card.
In any industry you start without experience and gain respect and increased rewards as you progress.
Nobody ever forces anybody to get their licence, it’s an investment in your future, so why should a bloke who has invested his money in buying the truck etc be expected to pay for your investment?

If you are derseving of so much more, trot off down the bank with your business plan, and start out on your own.!

tricky one isn’t it :confused:

i personally would if i had to, work for the 6.50, simply because i’ve always worked . i know friends on the dole & it’s a killer not being able to provide & demoralising to live on handouts from the state , even at 6.50 they feel at least they themselves have earnt it, no it’s not great , but the saying if you don’t someone else will rings true & that unfortunately, is the way it’s always going to be

If i had too i would take the job till i found better

Doing the conversion to Canadian dollars that is about what local del drivers get here in Winnipeg which when a person just starting out driving makes for some good experience on their resume. I will add a BUT here the cost of living is way lower here than it is there. Companies can only charge what a competative rate is with fuel costs and everything rising alot of companies look at cutting some costs, wages are something that have been a target for a long time. In the current economic climate that would be a job worth considering.

For those with no heavy financial commitments… you can be more picky.

I have a large family with 5 kids to support. Yes the TV was broken. No they aren’t all biologically mine.

Boredom is getting worse as the days go by.

I wish I could be earning a tenner an hour as a newbie. Unfortunately the insurance companies don’t seem to think that possessing a license gained from passing a test to DSA standard is good enough.

I have applied for 4 jobs in my area today and 3 of them have emailed back already saying I am not a suitable candidate. Interestingly there is no reason attached so I assume it is a standard response email. The other rang back and said that because I had no experience, I would be uninsurable.

I just have to keep plodding on with the applications until someone thinks I am worth taking on.

Dean

dar1976:
For those with no heavy financial commitments… you can be more picky.

I have a large family with 5 kids to support. Yes the TV was broken. No they aren’t all biologically mine.

Boredom is getting worse as the days go by.

I wish I could be earning a tenner an hour as a newbie. Unfortunately the insurance companies don’t seem to think that possessing a license gained from passing a test to DSA standard is good enough.

I have applied for 4 jobs in my area today and 3 of them have emailed back already saying I am not a suitable candidate. Interestingly there is no reason attached so I assume it is a standard response email. The other rang back and said that because I had no experience, I would be uninsurable.

I just have to keep plodding on with the applications until someone thinks I am worth taking on.

Dean

It isn’t. Insurance companies work on level of risk. As a newbie you ARE an increased risk. Some insurance companies will take the risk, the majority won’t. I was in exactly the same boat when I passed my class 1 and my 10 years on class 2 counted for nowt! Even though this was the good times and drivers were in great demand it still took me some time to get a start on artics so the current economic climate is almost irrelevant.

And you’ve got 8 naughty points, not helpful! You really should consider other work for the time being although there’s no harm in trying to dig up a driving job at the same time.