XF105 engine problems

norb:

cav551:
I am more than surprised that a manufacturer’s dealer would not be directing strict observance of coolant maintenance procedure. One only has to look at the inside of a kettle to see what happens when tap water is heated. The harder the water locally the worse the problem becomes. Living in the same hard water area I have been using manufacturer recommended antifreeze concentrations with distilled or deionised water for more than 20 years. I can recall there were instructions given over 30 years ago by dealerships I worked at, including using the red and green liquid in the bottles of Fleetguard coolant test kits.

There is some limited evidence that the need to treat boiler water was recognised back in the days of steam and supposedly practised by British Railways and some of the bus companies. What I come across regularly when dealing with 50 year old engines and cooling systems however seems to point otherwise.

Below is a 50 year old gear driven water pump casting which I removed some months ago, the damage is around where the gland weep hole used to be.

To be fair cav .All vehicle on a contrct will have the A/F checked and strengthened accordingly as for the distilled water that will never happen ,no one will pay for it ,it,s the same for white goods ,where i am the water is soft so white goods last a lifetime ,down south where the water is harder,then white goods have a limited life span ,i have never known anyone use distilled water in their iron for example …A lot of the problems is small fleets and owner operator who use main dealers and will no give authority for anything ,but are then quick to blame the said dealers for any little issue they then later have because we inspected it ,even when it has beenpointed out to them for the last 4 inspections …They then play the i was never told or got inspection sheets ,well they get a phone call and a e-mail ,and all inspections sheets are electronic so they get it ,as i find it odd that they wouldn’t query never getting any inspection sheets for their vehicles over the last X amount of months

How are you getting on with the bpv replacement on the MX11 engines?

cav551:
They will willingly pay £1 a litre for bottled water to shove down their throats when tap water will do, yet the thought of paying around half that amount to for a litre of deionised for their radiator is too much. Quite frankly they deserve what’s coming.
You are quite right about the iron though, the destructions for ours tell you not to use distilled. We are forever cleaning little bits of calcium off the ironing board cover.

How are you getting on with the bpv replacement on the MX11 engines?

My feeling is when manufacturers are specifying special coolant concoctions etc. it’s a sticking plaster for poor engine design or manufacturing tolerances.

Slipped liners used to be a huge problem with Land Rover V8 engines and there was an aftermarket solution of new liners with a machined lip that clamped them in place against the head - you would have to obviously get a recess cut into the block to accommodate them flush. Doubt the market’s potentially big enough with DAF engines to justify anyone producing them.

If you need an engine cheapest way, assuming one crops up, is rather than go to a breakers buy a whole wreck from a copart auction then use the engine and keeps any good tyres and bits you want and weigh the rest in.

Own Account Driver:
My feeling is when manufacturers are specifying special coolant concoctions etc. it’s a sticking plaster for poor engine design or manufacturing tolerances.

Slipped liners used to be a huge problem with Land Rover V8 engines and there was an aftermarket solution of new liners with a machined lip that clamped them in place against the head - you would have to obviously get a recess cut into the block to accommodate them flush. Doubt the market’s potentially big enough with DAF engines to justify anyone producing them.

If you need an engine cheapest way, assuming one crops up, is rather than go to a breakers buy a whole wreck from a copart auction then use the engine and keeps any good tyres and bits you want and weigh the rest in.

Rover v8 was a dry liner engine and the mod was called a top hat liner which is what all wet linered truck engines will have as standard and have had for a few decades now.
Iirc when the MX first started to die there was no call for liner protrusion to be measured prior to chucking the head back on, but after a year or two it became a standard check.

Ive never been a fan of the rover v8, always seem a fluffy thing to me, with wolly throttle response unless its hammer to the floor time.
On the other hand my mate swore blind they were the bees knees, but then he was always rebuilding them!
Now the old 200tdi thats an engine, reliable as buggery just how diesel engines should be.

Hi how are you getting on with the liners ■■ I’ve not had any liners drop in our in our fleet of mx13’s and we had the best part of 1500 of them on the road last year now camshafts that’s a different matter

MX 13 aren’t old enough you have the issue ,it’s the original MX engine ,though the manufacturing process was improved the prevent /limit the issue

XF Matt, try asking nicely for Daf give factory support.
I got 50% contribution on parts for 2 cracked heads.
This on a Kelberg import 530 SSC circa 2003/2005 .

I did sarcastically ask if the heads were a “Service Items” and if so , where is it on the service sheets [emoji56][emoji58]!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macker1999:
XF Matt, try asking nicely for Daf give factory support.
I got 50% contribution on parts for 2 cracked heads.
This on a Kelberg import 530 SSC circa 2003/2005 .

I did sarcastically ask if the heads were a “Service Items” and if so , where is it on the service sheets [emoji56][emoji58]!

Warrant claim on a 15 year old truck?

Hi Guys.

Sorry not been on for a long time! So the engine was fully rebuilt from top to bottom with the engine block being recut to fit the oversize liners. They’ve also warrantied it for 1 year and so far it seems to be performing as it should. Unfortunately I had to part with several £££££ to get it done but they way I looked at it was I could pay £30k for a replacement and end up in the same boat in a couple of years time.

Matt.

My brother got an 11 reg 105 in with liner 6 dropped he’s stripped it down ,someone’s coming tomorrow to cut the block and drop an over size liner in , it’s done a million kms so not sure if others will drop or not .

Punchy Dan:
My brother got an 11 reg 105 in with liner 6 dropped he’s stripped it down ,someone’s coming tomorrow to cut the block and drop an over size liner in , it’s done a million kms so not sure if others will drop or not .

They can be shimmed ,well that was the original method ,…i strongly advice that he changes the oil nozzle …The others can be measured to see if they have dropped ,it doesn’t take much …Though saying that i saw my first one this year ,Wether te softer water up here has a bearing i don’t know ,but down south the limescale knackers everything …

Would it not be wiser to pull the other liners to check whilst the head and sump are off ,ie belts and braces…The lube for the “O” rings is called PG21

Thanks Norb I’ve past on the message :smiley:

P.s it was a Tom French cast off so it’s had soft water up to now :unamused:

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
6 new liners in .total job cost £3000.

That first liner in the pic looks suspect Dan ,I guess he has new piston rings …If your local DAF are ok they may lend you the piston ring tool …It closes over the rings and the piston just pushes in …no adjustment required ,designed specifically for that piston …Youwill have a piston in in minutes and no risk of broken rings

Sorry, late response 530 was 3 or 4 years old at the time, not 15 years old [emoji51]