WOULD YOU?

but if this fault was found on let’s say 5.30pm on christmas eve, and the fitter’s weren’t around till boxing day, the traffic office was shut, and you couldn’t get hold of anyone, what would you do?

A, screw this, i’ll defect it when i get to the yard…
B, screw this, where did i put the insulation tape, and the cutter’s
C, call home saying you can’t make it home due to broken wiring, and the fitter’s can’t get out to you till boxing day…

i know which one i’d be doing…

The problem is, many companies will not even let a driver change a bulb let alone attempt wiring repairs. (I know through experience.)

So as I don’t own the equipment I drive, I ring the office and put it into their hands.

Ken.

Years ago a bottle jack spare wheel and a brace were commonplace, go forward 20 or so years and I’m not allowed to top up the engine oil.

The job, for the most part is very easy today could this be one of the reasons why it’s so poorly paid? the big firms don’t want you near the trucks in case you hurt yourself or **** something up, we had brackets made to stop the driver opening the clutch fluid reservoir, because wait for it, they were filling them with screen wash.

If it suited me to get bag to the yard on time I’d just fix it and keep shtum.

We’ve got a trailer with a hydraulic ramp the wires go under the bottom the design isn’t good and they’re always scraping on the road. A cheap pack of leads with little crocodile clips you can get off ebay helps a lot just have to wrap the clip tips with tape.

wildfire:
It’s been one of those days!! you know, the ones that seem ok at the start but then go right down hill. get to my second load and made to wait 3 hrs, still had to get to kent and tip, then reload for an 8.30 tip in portsmouth in the morning, it was going to be tight but if the third reload went ok, i would be ok. well it didn’t so off to park up till 5.45 then get it on. so parked up and doing my evening walk around check like i always do, only to find n/s lights not working on my trailer, not a thing. then i see the wiring loom hanging down and chopped in half. only one thing for it i am going to have to repair it somehow, as i am not going to wait up for scania to come out and the last time they did anything on my trailer after hours they were going to charge £145 per hour.

so its out with the stanley knife, pair back the wires and join them back up luckly i have a box of wire shrink rap in my locker, so in just over half n hour all joined up, shrunk rapped and all working, the jobs a goodun.

so the question is how many of you so called drivers would repair it themself or just sit there and wait for the breakdown service, having a thomas the tank over page three. :question: :question: :question: :question:

there seem to be a lot of licence holders on here but very few drivers, its just an observation over some of the posts that have been on here recently :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

If i could, id fix it where i was stood, failing that, id w8 till i got to a drop off/yard and then get it fixed. Sod waiting around for hours for someone to come get m!, i`d end up having to complete my run the next day, ontop off that days run too