Would you work for this?

Harry Monk:

FH16Globetrotter:
Ah, so now it’s Johnny Foreigner’s fault? How exactly? :unamused:

For example, I know a paint sprayer who resprayed two RHD trucks which had been re-registered in Romania and he chatted to the Romanian owner about them. They pull unaccompanied trailers out of Ramsgate and have Romanian drivers, they do one short hop to Belgium every Friday so they get around cabotage laws and the drivers earn £700 a month.

TBH though for them £700 is good money.
How many UK drivers were working for foriegn companies a few years back because they paid better■■?

Ben9:

Harry Monk:

FH16Globetrotter:
Ah, so now it’s Johnny Foreigner’s fault? How exactly? :unamused:

For example, I know a paint sprayer who resprayed two RHD trucks which had been re-registered in Romania and he chatted to the Romanian owner about them. They pull unaccompanied trailers out of Ramsgate and have Romanian drivers, they do one short hop to Belgium every Friday so they get around cabotage laws and the drivers earn £700 a month.

TBH though for them £700 is good money.
How many UK drivers were working for foriegn companies a few years back because they paid better■■?

They did? Who was that then? Did two million Brits in the space of a few short years depart to do that? Did the two million all go to the one place thereby killing the market for the indigenous population?

44 Tonne Ton:

Fileep:
Just seen a job advertised, Sun-Fri channel hopping. Anything on the way out and chips on the way back in. Told a friend about it and he rang and enquired, the jobs self employed and its £450 a week all in. No night out money or anything! I know we all have different views on what we would like to earn, but its jobs like this thats keeping the money down as I’m sure he’ll fill the vacancy easily! Rant over!

But you’re in favour of Steady Eddie making Tossco drivers redundant to save Tossco some more money! Can’t have it both ways fella, what side are you on?

Business is business…

Just have a look at ady1’s post(general forum), he’s stobart through and through and he’s clearing £550+ with no night’s out. You seem quite xenophobic in some of your posts as well. If all the immigrants left this country we’d be well and truly stuffed.

i think as soon as any one in this debate uses the term they may be happier working for poor money but have smart tackle it makes a joke of the whole job,any one intrested in being a professional driver may as well walk away.its about paying bills and getting a living as the end of the day.running east and west europe in the 80"s there were firms with top of the range volvos and v8 scanias with silly boys wages we knew who they were and one with any sense and pride in their job avoided them.the company i work for got our 1st poles in 2004 some were proper divy but then some were fine,at the time i remember saying"thats the end of our anual pay rise",weve had 1 pay rise since.in the 90"s i with some others worked for the dutch but the number of us was not enough to sway the market or bring the the pay rates down infact we were sought as professionals who got the job done genrally without wreckin everything

Fileep:

44 Tonne Ton:

Fileep:
Just seen a job advertised, Sun-Fri channel hopping. Anything on the way out and chips on the way back in. Told a friend about it and he rang and enquired, the jobs self employed and its £450 a week all in. No night out money or anything! I know we all have different views on what we would like to earn, but its jobs like this thats keeping the money down as I’m sure he’ll fill the vacancy easily! Rant over!

But you’re in favour of Steady Eddie making Tossco drivers redundant to save Tossco some more money! Can’t have it both ways fella, what side are you on?

Business is business…

Just have a look at ady1’s post(general forum), he’s stobart through and through and he’s clearing £550+ with no night’s out. You seem quite xenophobic in some of your posts as well. If all the immigrants left this country we’d be well and truly stuffed.

No xenophobia from me pal. I don’t hate people who are different from me whether that be on the basis of race or religion. Put simply the mass influx of immigrants in the past few years (estimated at 2 million+ but the fact that nobody really knows is another story in itself) has depressed the wages of a great many ordinary people in this country. I’ve asked this question before and none of them who questioned my point of view were able to answer it satisfactorily (they usually hint at fascism like you) but maybe you can. Why would you expect the working people of this country to happily accept seeing their wages plummet and jobs disappear as a direct result of this tidal wave of eastern european unemployed?

You end up with polish wages and british costs. Total rubbish to say we couldn’t manage without them. It just ends up in a race to the bottom. You end up with loads of people who can’t afford to work for the immigrant rate so end up having to be supported by the state. If all these people are so good and improving the UK, how come all the places they come from are such dumps ?.

Ex Haulier:
You end up with polish wages and british costs. Total rubbish to say we couldn’t manage without them. It just ends up in a race to the bottom. You end up with loads of people who can’t afford to work for the immigrant rate so end up having to be supported by the state. If all these people are so good and improving the UK, how come all the places they come from are such dumps ?.

I think that about sums it up.

I’m still ■■■■■■■ waiting Fileep!!! :laughing:

Fenman:

Ex Haulier:

I think that about sums it up.

There are some benefits :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

youtube.com/watch?v=NGy2OCp4 … re=related :grimacing:

I don’t in any way blame the foreigners who have come here to earn much more than they could at home.
As has been mentioned, us Brits did (and still do?) the same working in Holland, although not in such great numbers.

However, the fact remains that had they not been allowed to come here, there would have been, the much talked about (but never happened due to the foreign influx) shortage of truck drivers. That would have forced wages up to atttact new people to the industry & others back into it. (I totally disagree with us joining the EU, but that’s another story - you’d still be doing 60 on the m/way for 1 thing).

Those who post saying that what’s on offer at present is fair pay for the work involved seem to miss the point that drivers were earning these rates (and more) per hour over 10 years ago. The cost of living has more than doubled in that time.

Over the last 20 years I have tended to drive when the pay has been good. At one point I used to travel 200+ miles each way, then stay in digs, to do agency work for Tesco NDC Milton Keynes. It used to cost me £100 round trip. It was well worth it. Today it most certainly would not be.

If all the foreign drivers went home next week (and many have as things improve in their home countries - and worsen here?) there is no doubt that the pay on offer here would have to rise to attract drivers.

A friend of mine spends time in America. Some years back now he used to bring me a US newspaper to read. I can remember when they had a driver shortage & many companies were advertising in those papers offering a new BMW car to any driver that would go & work for them, they were that desperate to get loads moved.

Things will change again here. As other European countries improve, more will go home. As we come out of the recession, the need for road haulage will increase again, coinciding with the time many older drivers (of which there are many) will not bother to do the DCPC & so retire from the industry.

All sounds good on paper Jon but I doubt it will happen.

I wish it would come but can’t see it just yet, I want to get back into trucks from coaching but not prepared to go on agy as I hate them, and the pay is as bad as coaching.

Let us not forget the Turkey shaped elephant in the room.When the most populous muslim nation in the world eventually join our happy european family,god help us all,

manalishi:
Let us not forget the Turkey shaped elephant in the room.When the most populous muslim nation in the world eventually join our happy european family,god help us all,

what, Indonesia is joining the EU? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

These “Would you work for this” threads keep appearing on here and apart from being boring, repetitive and largely useless they tend to say an awful lot about the person who started the thread.

Hombre:
These “Would you work for this” threads keep appearing on here and apart from being boring, repetitive and largely useless they tend to say an awful lot about the person who started the thread.

And what would that be? That I value my services more than whats on offer? Too right I do, the old saying springs to mind ‘Pay peanuts you get monkey’s’. I don’t hold myself has the best driver in the world, but you will get someone who you can rely on to do the job they are tasked with, come what may.

Fileep:
… I don’t hold myself has the best driver in the world,.

That position has already been filled, apparently this particular individual drives a Volvo for Stobarts!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink: