Would you recommend HGV driving as a career choice?

There’s a massive amount of construction going on at the place I work, as someone who’d happily watch other people work all day long I’ve been fascinated by the guys operating the massive tracked digger things ( I have no idea of the terminology) but these guys are absolute artists and a pleasure to watch. Anyhoo, I got talking to one of the drivers and he told me that he gets £300 a day, no idea if that’s on the books or self employed or what, or even if it’s bullshine , but I thought that perhaps if I had my time again I’d like to do that sort of thing 8 till 4 and a noon finish Friday. Seems a good job.

I did it because I loved travelling and it was a way of getting to drive all over Europe and get paid for doing it. The same doesn’t really apply nowadays. Neither of my sons are remotely interested in doing it.

I see driving as a good job for a lad/lass who doesnt have much in the way of academic qualifications, but can think and doesnt mind long hours.

alamcculloch:
I see driving as a good job for a lad/lass who doesnt have much in the way of academic qualifications, but can think and doesnt mind long hours.

As a job choice - totally agree. But as a career choice, not a chance (unless your career aspirations are very limited).

the maoster:
There’s a massive amount of construction going on at the place I work, as someone who’d happily watch other people work all day long I’ve been fascinated by the guys operating the massive tracked digger things ( I have no idea of the terminology) but these guys are absolute artists and a pleasure to watch. Anyhoo, I got talking to one of the drivers and he told me that he gets £300 a day, no idea if that’s on the books or self employed or what, or even if it’s bullshine , but I thought that perhaps if I had my time again I’d like to do that sort of thing 8 till 4 and a noon finish Friday. Seems a good job.

I’ve heard them referred to as 360s (because they spin round). Having had a go in a mini digger, I wonder how hard they are to master? I guess it’s harder to do well than driving a truck.

robroy:
Wasn’t there some clown on here who ridiculed me on a choice of word…ie’‘career’',.when I applied it to describe this type of work long term?
And looked down his snout at me for both using it and working in it. :neutral_face:

It’s a career no different to train driver or pilot except more skill required regarding load handling and securing and a train steers itself in a sterile environment.

adam277:
I guess the title speaks for itself. Would you recommend someone straight out of school/college to get into HGV driving.

Me, personally I would not.
I think the system is set up to penalize the driver. I think a lot of us are quite lucky we did not have as much health and safety and cameras on the road when we started out.

Then there is the slow thud of automation that will likely be here within the next 30 years.

No.

Being so young, set your sights on something much bigger than truck driving.

I know of young men not much older than you involved in M&A (mergers and acquisitions), closing deals in the tens of £millions and more.

THINK BIG.

Harry Monk:
I did it because I loved travelling and it was a way of getting to drive all over Europe and get paid for doing it. The same doesn’t really apply nowadays. Neither of my sons are remotely interested in doing it.

Agree on all of that.
The time when we started the job was sooooo different from today as I said in my other post.
I was like you in that respect Harry, plus I had (misguided :smiley: ) ambition to own my own trucks and expand,.which I achieved at the age of 23 to in my 30s, until things went ■■■■ north in the recession hit 80s.
Don t regret it,.because at least I had the balls and nous to give it a go, and it wasn’t really down to me fully that it didn’t work out tbf, but hey!.. that’s life.
Transport has done me no real favours over the years, but at this stage in my life it’s all I really know now.
Would I do things different if I could go back to being 21?
Hell yeah. :smiley:

Carryfast:

robroy:
Wasn’t there some clown on here who ridiculed me on a choice of word…ie’‘career’',.when I applied it to describe this type of work long term?
And looked down his snout at me for both using it and working in it. :neutral_face:

It’s a career no different to train driver or pilot except more skill required regarding load handling and securing and a train steers itself in a sterile environment.

Yep I know that.
On the occasion I mentioned. .I was using the term ‘‘career’’ in the liiteral sense, but matey came on in an attempt to belittle me but made himself look stupid. :unamused:
He was ex Old Bill, (not anybody who has posted on this thread so far btw) and implied that a carreer in the Police force was a career,.where as being a driver for your working life was not.

Didn’t really give a toss what he thought, it’s just that it reminded me when I was posting on this thread.

Definitely not. Managed to steer all of my sons into proper jobs with a quality of life balance.

BTW a fellow driver at my place has a 360 ticket and says he can earn much more on the sites but the work is repetitive and boring.

robroy:
in my 30s, until things went ■■■■ north in the recession hit 80s.

So, you’re pushing 70 now?
[emoji6]

Depends on where you end up and who you working for. The hours can be long, but as a previous poster said, how many of those hours are actual ‘work’? Id rather do 10 hours in a truck where Im watching netflix for 3 hours, than a hard 8 hour shift in a factory on my feet all day!

Also, unless you get lucky and into a decent middle management job, you will struggle to break £25-30k in a normal job doing 9-5.

Ive done all sorts in my life (im 51) IT, Pub/restaurant/catering business owner, banking, call centre work. Out of all the above truck driving is an easier way to make decent money, especially if you have few qualifications.

EDIT

Tho to answer the original question, NO!! My oldest lad is 18 and Ive not suggested once to him to be a truck driver :wink: I think its a better profession for people looking to have a career change in their 30/40/50s

Only if he could first see himself in america with the right to work, where a six figure anual salary is not uncommon at all.

the maoster:

Possible to get £300 a day, currently on £260 on very easy job,that’s for 10 hours,same as any job more niche better money n conditions,won’t just jump straight on these jobs though,beats traffic,lay-bys,rdc’s

the nodding donkey:
Absolutely.

Show me one job, where you get paid well for sitting on your ■■■, staring out of the window, listening to your choice of music, at your choice of volume.

Most drivers probably “work” less than 1 to 2 hours a day…[/quote
When I was in engineering you often didn’t turn up on a sat , you took it in turns to clock the others in , just made plenty of extra components through the week , nights were for sleeping , cards in canteen / coffee , bring the car in and weld the exhaust up etc , even rolls Royce you slept but they said it was ok in your chair , but plenty had beds made up
Mate was on railways & according to him slept most of time , mate on service , van would sometimes be done by thurs , come home & have rest of week off paid
1/2 brother who’s high up Tate & Lyle just goes in 2 days a week last I heard , I’m sure he works hard at home the other 3 !!! her next door works from home , which seems to consist of lying on the sun lounger most of the time ( much to the annoyance of my mrs )
As for working 2/3 hrs a day , I’ve no doubt you & a few do , but my days are long & on the go that’s for sure , not often the wheels arnt moving , thank god it’s only 3 days a week , 5 and I’d be having a right old moan !!
As for question , no I wouldn’t , I’d tell them to work hard at school & then they’d get a job hopefully where like my 1/2 brother there yearly bonus ■■■■■■ all over my yearly wage , million + pension pot , multiple houses
I’d j

I believe the question is a multiple edged sword,

Most of those looking for a career are college aged and single,
Truck driving is a single persons game,
Single People like to be home at night or down the pub !
Hence a married person does the job because they need support a family.
It also comes down to responsibility and maturity.
Although both effect all ages they seem to be lacking more in the younger generation. There is also the question of how many years do you consider an occupation to be a career, most people now a days change jobs so frequently the word career is going obsolete. Whereas back in the day a career was doing the same job for life, and retiring with a gold watch at 65 !!

I never wanted to be a truck driver - it just wasn’t in the plans I had . Farmers son , went to agricultural college and went home to farm , 10 years later family disputes and falling incomes ment I was looking for a means to provide for myself and my soon to be wife . 25 years later the job provides a wage which keeps me ,my wife ,2 kids and a dog to a reasonable standard - I ain’t rich but I’m not poor . Once I’d figured out what I liked and found a place that keeps me doing the sort of work I like I grown to like the job and the travelling round seeing different parts of the UK .I’m very seldom in RDC’s and their health and saftey nonsence - I’m 52 and pretty sure a hivis wont stop a 5 ton concrete slab from killing me if I stupidly get below it .I don’t need some H+S ■■■■ treating me like a 2 year old.
Ive only had a hivis on 3 times this week - while in a port dropping and swapping trailers, steel toed boots on once because there were big forklifts running about in the same yard I was in . Most places we go we get treated like an adult who can think and make simple decisions for themselves . 27 ton loads of precast concrete to a farm down a single track road on an island off the coast of Scotland might not be everyones cup of tea but if you all promise not to tell the boss I have to say I ■■■■■■■ love it . lol

I enjoy the getting out and about still. I know some will say all the good stuff has gone but in the last 4-6 weeks I have been to Greece, North Macedonia, Croatia and surrounding countries in a truck. Currently on a weekend off in a hotel in Poland. Find the niche that you find enjoyable.

Edit: Started at 21, currently 34 and not planning on changing careers.

beefy4605:
. 27 ton loads of precast concrete to a farm down a single track road on an island off the coast of Scotland might not be everyones cup of tea but if you all promise not to tell the boss I have to say I [zb] love it . lol

Love it! :smiley:

But I bet you a pound the island was still in Scotland :wink:

Yes but be realistic about your expectations of the job and it’s potential impact on your life away from the job.
Try to get in with a firm where you can get a decent work/life balance and don’t try to chase the money too much.