would you go back ??

rigsby:
i would go back tomorrow if i could be 40 years younger ! old bedfords , fodens and all . you had to learn to drive properly , the boss gave you your work & trusted you to get it done [ ring when tipped ] . there was always time for a brew & natter with your mates [ we all sat round the same table then ] . if you broke down someone , often a complete stranger would stop and help . watched eddie stobarts on tv last night , thank god i’m out of it now !!! all those pimply oiks behind computers telling grown men what to do , turned it off in disgust . if that is driving now , us older ones had the best of it , i bet harry l r would agree .

hiya,
Hello Rigsby if i’m the Harry you mean I wholeheartedly agree with you gentlemen of the road 40+ years ago, good times, happy days, but if i could lose forty years and given the chance to drive in todays climate i would’nt even consider it just pleased none of my family chose to do the job, trackers, mobile phones,not people anymore more like automotons, we had hard hard work motors but did the job without being spied on throughout the working day we also had the bosses respect if you proved you could do the job you was left to get on with it.
thanks harry long retired.

Yes i would . . . but i dont think anybody runs 3600 Space cabs any more do they ? :frowning:
I"ll even ship out on a Sunday given the chance - happy days :laughing:

I’ll go…but not in my F88 290…I’m twice the man I was :blush: :blush: :blush: wouldn’t fit in that dinky little bed anymore :unamused:

[zb]
anorak:
Hello newmercman, you said, “but brakes would be nice, especially when going out on the ■■■■ at weekends unit only, them old Scanias weren’t much fun then…” What was wrong with the brakes, unit only?

The brakes themselves weren’t so bad, especially if you’d been at em with a 9/16th spanner, as Wheelnut said, it was the way the back wheels locked up if you hit a bump at the same time, it was more related to the bounciness of the muti leaf springs, hence my request for air suspension :wink:

Funny you all say the same thing’s… I think we would all go back in a beat .the motors may have been cold in the winter and hot in the summer .break down when you really did not need it … but you learnt how to get them going again.How many times did we all run out on a Sunday to catch the boat or get up top Scotland ready for Monday morning tip. But then saying that how many of you would not have even come into the business if you could have looked into the future…I know there is no way i would have even looked at coming in top this business I would have been a plumber or anything where i could earn a living without starting at five in the morning and walking in at seven at night… Still saying all that when you are out on the road doing the job. Getting into a tight building site or loading a different machine you still feel as seance of pride… until that phone rings and the boss opens his mouth with some stupid comment about how long it has taken you to get the job done… I used to love roping and sheeting … yes it was hard work and with me being only 5.6ft tall lifting the sheets on top of a loads was a struggle but we did it…or climb a ladder with a chain in hand dragging it over a high machine…balancing on top of a load … you learnt quick how to do the job… I sometimes do a bit of agency work in and around Northampton… I i must say talking to some of the new drivers i meet …And i use the word driver !!! one said to me if sat nav dose not know it we don’t do it. Would i go back Bloody right i would … Stay safe out there lads

harry_gill:
Hello Rigsby if i’m the Harry you mean I wholeheartedly agree with you gentlemen of the road 40+ years ago, good times, happy days, but if i could lose forty years and given the chance to drive in todays climate i would’nt even consider it just pleased none of my family chose to do the job, trackers, mobile phones,not people anymore more like automotons, we had hard hard work motors but did the job without being spied on throughout the working day we also had the bosses respect if you proved you could do the job you was left to get on with it.

Exactly, you got your work (papers etc) looked to your motor and off you went. No mobile phones, no satnav, trackers etc. “Give us a ring when you’re empty” You left the yard and providing you did a decent job, YOU were the boss. I well remember searching for change and then searching for a public phone that hadn’t been vandalized.

grumpy old man:

harry_gill:

Exactly, you got your work (papers etc) looked to your motor and off you went. No mobile phones, no satnav, trackers etc. “Give us a ring when you’re empty” You left the yard and providing you did a decent job, YOU were the boss. I well remember searching for change and then searching for a public phone that hadn’t been vandalized.

hiya,
Yes and remember when you asked the customer where you had just tipped if you could ring your boss it was always “yes if you reverse the charges” i always drew the line when ringing in from Fochabers made sure i had cash for that one afraid of getting nicked for swearing at the bird at the telephone exchange.

Yes, i would too :smiley:
It was hard work back then but seemed more enjoyable, or maybe i’m looking through them rose tinted glasses that some of us oldsters use. :slight_smile:

grumpy old man:

harry_gill:

Remember those days, loitering outside a phone box,waiting for someone to ring with backload instructions.
Looking back, must have looked a right ■■■ hanging around :confused:

Suedehead:

grumpy old man:

harry_gill:

Remember those days, loitering outside a phone box,waiting for someone to ring with backload instructions.

i remember my first in cab phone ! dam thing was massive and looked like a surfboard nailed to my dashboard , it had a giant black box thing stuffed under my dashboard and would loose its signal if i dare so much as good over a manhole cover … :stuck_out_tongue:

bowser:

Suedehead:

grumpy old man:

harry_gill:

Good ole Motorola .
If you didnt release it properley . . you were holding the dash on youre earole :laughing:

i remember my first in cab phone ! dam thing was massive and looked like a surfboard nailed to my dashboard , it had a giant black box thing stuffed under my dashboard and would loose its signal if i dare so much as good over a manhole cover … :stuck_out_tongue:

Suedehead:

bowser:

Suedehead:

grumpy old man:

harry_gill:

Good ole Motorola .
If you didnt release it properley . . you were holding the dash on youre earole :laughing:

I hated the cab phone whenI first had one the boss would ring and his first words were “where are you” and would you tell the truth especially if you looked like you might have an early one sometimes I just ignored it and faced it out whenI got back to the yard, they were great however if you needed to ring the boss as I recall most places you went to had a little window which you spoke to someone re your drop or load and plastered all over the place were signs saying do not ask to use the phone or drivers are not allowed to use company phones very friendly and welcoming it was like you were a second class citizen , some of these places could be miles from a phone box I let many a driver use my phone. would I go back well I do a 35 hour week now finish everyday at 2pm on time sleep in my own bed every night know what I will earn every month have a good pension scheme , go back you must be joking with all the regs and cameras parking restrictions speed limiters it must be a nightmare , my eldest son told me once I never really knew until you until you stopped driving for a living that hit the spot when he told me that, I would love to take a lorry out now and then though hats off to the guys and gals who are driving they have to put up with a lot of s–t , great nostalgia on this site though keep up the good work only wish I had taken a camera with me when I was driving cheers fred

Well , i was thinking that this was a really good question, and i have a little bit of insight to it, which i would like to share,i have a c series erf, twin steer, which i use sometimes, great for abit of fun, and it does make my stomach jump up and down whilst i drive it, how many remeber that , how ever, i cant hear the radio at all, and it is a bit agriculural to say the least , i also have a 143, which i love and also drive, good truck love it and i can hear the radio and its a nice pose too, i also have a brand new 10 plate man 440xxl auto, which is silent, has a great sterio and aircon and really is effortless to drive, if i had to keep just one it would be the scania.I just have a soft spot for her. How ever, i have been driving 21 yrs this year, and i used to ring around on payphones and pull into cafes for backloads, and things were a lot more personal and freindly back then, i am reminded that i loaded once whilst fairly ill, they men loading me could see this, so told me to get my head down whilst they sheeted and roped my load, and i also see everyday drivers ■■■■■■■■ amongst them selves and about each other and a mentality of i will be in my bed at home by8am, which surprises me , as i never started the job so i could be home every night, i did it for a bit of fun and adventure…so to my mind, the trucks have come on leaps and bounds but the job and peoples attitudes to each other have gone down hill, would i turn the clock back? you bet, i miss it.

richmond:
How ever, i have been driving 21 yrs this year, and i used to ring around on payphones and pull into cafes for backloads, and things were a lot more personal and freindly back then, i am reminded that i loaded once whilst fairly ill, they men loading me could see this, so told me to get my head down whilst they sheeted and roped my load, and i also see everyday drivers ■■■■■■■■ amongst them selves and about each other and a mentality of i will be in my bed at home by8am, which surprises me , as i never started the job so i could be home every night, i did it for a bit of fun and adventure…so to my mind, the trucks have come on leaps and bounds but the job and peoples attitudes to each other have gone down hill, would i turn the clock back? you bet, i miss it.

That is the bit that matters, oh and 8 tracks :stuck_out_tongue:

If I was 21 now there is no way that I would go into transport as all the so called progress and rules and cameras,tracking devices etc. would be enough without the state of the roads and traffic conditions. If I was able to go back to the 60s and start again the answer would be when can I start as I have a selective memory and just remember all the good times not the ones where I was stuck with bad weather or weekend away I know they happened but cannot recall the details but I can recall a lot of good times and good nights and a lot of nice people and there were people from all walks of life driving lorrys especially on the continent in the 60s and 70s there was quite a few people who had been to university and qualified in their chosen profession’s who had decided to have career change and go lorry driving and I don’t think that will happen very often in this day and age as the financial rewards are so much different even though lorry driving was not that well paid then no one else was and people were able to earn as much if not more by driving lorrys. The big advantage of starting in this era was the way you were taught by the old hands to load and sheet correctly and there were a lot of loads of bright steel which was lethal if not fastened down correctly and you were taught to respect your load and the way you drove as the braking systems were about adequate especially the vacuum braked vehicles which was a good learning curve as the vehicles improved. Nearly all drivers were able to do a few basic repairs while down the road and change their own wheels ( not forgetting the penny on the rack ) I always preferred distance and continental work and only went onto day runs at the back end of my career for Exel on Sainsburys delivery s but the first 25 years were the best and most enjoyable as you were given a job and any problems you just got on and sorted them out and most gaffers were transport men who new what they talking about so you were unable to pull the wool over their eyes but if you got on and did the job you were not bothered by them as they left you to get the job done.

cheers Johnnie

PS dream wagon would be a Strato , DAF space cab 14lt. ■■■■■■■ with jake brake and twin splitter gearbox

sammyopisite:
If I was 21 now there is no way that I would go into transport as all the so called progress and rules and cameras,tracking devices etc. would be enough without the state of the roads and traffic conditions. If I was able to go back to the 60s and start again the answer would be when can I start as I have a selective memory and just remember all the good times not the ones where I was stuck with bad weather or weekend away I know they happened but cannot recall the details but I can recall a lot of good times and good nights and a lot of nice people and there were people from all walks of life driving lorrys especially on the continent in the 60s and 70s there was quite a few people who had been to university and qualified in their chosen profession’s who had decided to have career change and go lorry driving and I don’t think that will happen very often in this day and age as the financial rewards are so much different even though lorry driving was not that well paid then no one else was and people were able to earn as much if not more by driving lorrys. The big advantage of starting in this era was the way you were taught by the old hands to load and sheet correctly and there were a lot of loads of bright steel which was lethal if not fastened down correctly and you were taught to respect your load and the way you drove as the braking systems were about adequate especially the vacuum braked vehicles which was a good learning curve as the vehicles improved. Nearly all drivers were able to do a few basic repairs while down the road and change their own wheels ( not forgetting the penny on the rack ) I always preferred distance and continental work and only went onto day runs at the back end of my career for Exel on Sainsburys delivery s but the first 25 years were the best and most enjoyable as you were given a job and any problems you just got on and sorted them out and most gaffers were transport men who new what they talking about so you were unable to pull the wool over their eyes but if you got on and did the job you were not bothered by them as they left you to get the job done.

cheers Johnnie

PS dream wagon would be a Strato , DAF space cab 14lt. ■■■■■■■ with jake brake and twin splitter gearbox

hiya,
Remember a headmaster and his son also a teacher used to spend his summer holidays driving a wag and drag for a Rochdale haulier so the firms regular lads could get a couple of weeks off, dad the driver son trailer boy, yes there was brains behind the wheel even if it was only for a few weeks of the year, the older guys dad was in the haulage game before the war, this was the late 1950s and only the knowhow was needed not a special licence.

yes i would,i grew up on f88s an f86s,only 12 fuses and a odd reley or so.not like now 60 fuses an 30 relays ,data links and wot else software PC work :frowning: :unamused:

Aye,I’d go back to the 60s and 70s.Never had a “Furriner” to drive early on,brought up on Albions,Leylands,AECs,Bedfords.But I really would like to go back and drive that AEC MK5 Mammoth Major 526 GYG tanker with the AV691 and rotary fuel pump and 6-speed box.I will seem old fashioned to some of you on here but that was one of my favourites of all time,never let me down and didn’t want to let it go,although I had to as I was one of the few with a class 1 licence,so was upgraded to a tilt cab Mandator.Changing wheels and injector pipes were an every day occurence as well as new valve washers on the tank outlet valves and footvalves,but you had all yer own gear to do that and there was always somebody would pull up and bail you out.It’s been said on here many a time but the best driving days are long gone; all I can say is I was privileged to be part of them.
Best of luck to the lads who are still at it though,some buggers got to do it,just glad it’s not me. :laughing:
As an after thought,when I started with Glass Glover(MFS) in 1979 it was my introduction to synchro Scania 81 :frowning: boxes and I made a rayt chuff of myself,trying to double-declutch,and also no spare wheels,no injector pipes swinging on yer coat hook in case of,a two-way radio or radio telephone in t’cab was the norm in case of night-time breakdowns.Sounds great but wasn’t the same after that.
So I went shunting… :sunglasses:

Chris Webb:
Aye,I’d go back to the 60s and 70s.Never had a “Furriner” to drive early on,brought up on Albions,Leylands,AECs,Bedfords.But I really would like to go back and drive that AEC MK5 Mammoth Major 526 GYG tanker with the AV691 and rotary fuel pump and 6-speed box.I will seem old fashioned to some of you on here but that was one of my favourites of all time,never let me down and didn’t want to let it go,although I had to as I was one of the few with a class 1 licence,so was upgraded to a tilt cab Mandator.Changing wheels and injector pipes were an every day occurence as well as new valve washers on the tank outlet valves and footvalves,but you had all yer own gear to do that and there was always somebody would pull up and bail you out.It’s been said on here many a time but the best driving days are long gone; all I can say is I was privileged to be part of them.
Best of luck to the lads who are still at it though,some buggers got to do it,just glad it’s not me. :laughing:
As an after thought,when I started with Glass Glover(MFS) in 1979 it was my introduction to synchro Scania 81 :frowning: boxes and I made a rayt chuff of myself,trying to double-declutch,and also no spare wheels,no injector pipes swinging on yer coat hook in case of,a two-way radio or radio telephone in t’cab was the norm in case of night-time breakdowns.Sounds great but wasn’t the same after that.

hiya,
Chris my little runabout is a Corsa,( i have a two pedal diesel Citroen for weekends ) when i’m in the Corsa it’s a manual and i still double de-clutch and often drag the steering round the wrong way when going backroads on, old habits die hard.

harry_gill:

Chris Webb:

hiya,
Chris my little runabout is a Corsa,( i have a two pedal diesel Citroen for weekends ) when i’m in the Corsa it’s a manual and i still double de-clutch and often drag the steering round the wrong way when going backroads on, old habits die hard.

:smiley:

I know what you mean Harry.Like you I was on "proper " drawbars for about 5 years and when I went back on artics made a chuff of mesen.I still double-declutch sometimes in me Mini-Cooper(wife’s car :laughing: ),aye old habits…always using side mirrors,never look in rear view,am I the one of the few? :laughing:
I’m not surprised that a lot of lads on here miss the older driving days,the old roads,cafes,and all the drivers who had time for a chat; but like I said,some poor buggers’ got to do it.