Would you expect to get paid if stood down?

toonsy:
Tbf I’d be looking at getting out of construction in the near future.

Sounds surprising to me.
What`s your reasoning?

Certainly no housing surplus is there? :smiley:

Franglais:

toonsy:

Sounds surprising to me.
What`s your reasoning?

I can’t see there being much demand for building at the moment and less so as the economy slows down and things start to bite. My father and brother in law (two people, not the same person :laughing: ) both got laid off along woth most if the site they were working on last week. It’s a half built site for a large developer, just left, vacated.

Yes we know there’s not enough houses but that’s not the priority for house builders. The priority is making money and at a time of falling house prices theres no incentive for them to build to lose profit.

It’s not just building. I think anything that it involves consumer spending beyond necessities is in for a tough time. On the flipside some other sectors will flourish for instance our frozen volumes are up 40% compared to last year.

But yeah I’ve always had a thing about building being the first sector hit. Rightly or wrongly its just always been my view having watched my in laws go through peaks and troughs over many years. Maybe because its “closer to home” as it were I just notice it more.

toonsy:

Franglais:

toonsy:

Sounds surprising to me.
What`s your reasoning?

I can’t see there being much demand for building at the moment and less so as the economy slows down and things start to bite. My father and brother in law (two people, not the same person :laughing: ) both got laid off along woth most if the site they were working on last week. It’s a half built site for a large developer, just left, vacated.

Yes we know there’s not enough houses but that’s not the priority for house builders. The priority is making money and at a time of falling house prices theres no incentive for them to build to lose profit.

It’s not just building. I think anything that it involves consumer spending beyond necessities is in for a tough time. On the flipside some other sectors will flourish for instance our frozen volumes are up 40% compared to last year.

But yeah I’ve always had a thing about building being the first sector hit. Rightly or wrongly its just always been my view having watched my in laws go through peaks and troughs over many years. Maybe because its “closer to home” as it were I just notice it more.

Interesting answer…Thanks
I think youre correct that house builders, being private companies, have a duty to their share-holders to turn profit, not to build houses. . If frozen food expands, then that will be balanced *in weight*(pretty much) by shrinkage in fresh foods. Overall food consumption may be the same, but trips will decrease...*a bit?*...because of the shelf life of the foods. No need to send out frequent part loaded, or light loaded (Frozen food is solid and damages less than fresh), trucks. I think youre right that food transport will alter it`s profile, and decrease a bit overall.

Construction shrinkage won`t be balanced in other sectors, will it?

Strange that housing isnt thought of as a *necessity* though! (Not having a go...just noticed Id accepted what you said too)
Where are we?

Franglais:

toonsy:

Franglais:

toonsy:

Sounds surprising to me.
What`s your reasoning?

Interesting answer…Thanks
I think youre correct that house builders, being private companies, have a duty to their share-holders to turn profit, not to build houses. . If frozen food expands, then that will be balanced *in weight*(pretty much) by shrinkage in fresh foods. Overall food consumption may be the same, but trips will decrease...*a bit?*...because of the shelf life of the foods. No need to send out frequent part loaded, or light loaded (Frozen food is solid and damages less than fresh), trucks. I think youre right that food transport will alter it`s profile, and decrease a bit overall.

Construction shrinkage won`t be balanced in other sectors, will it?

Strange that housing isnt thought of as a *necessity* though! (Not having a go...just noticed Id accepted what you said too)
Where are we?

Housing IS thought of as a necessity, just not by the ‘right’ people and not for the ‘right’ reasons - ie while not asking for housebuilding to be some charitable organisation, should availability of newly built and much needed housing really be beholden to a group of shareholders.

stu675:
Yes. By law you have to be paid full rate even if they have no work for you.

Depends entirely on what is in your contract of employment.

[quote=“toonsy”

toonsy:
On the flipside some other sectors will flourish for instance our frozen volumes are up 40% compared to last year.

Interesting, Talking to a couple of chilled drivers at stores over the last few weeks this is also seems to be the case at Asda. Wondering if people are spreading the cost of xmas more so getting frozen stuff in on last months pay packet and doing chilled/ambient in the before Xmas one.

Back of house ambient is absolutely rammed and not even into the big week yet.

Anyhoo back to the OP, as been said depends wholly on what contract you signed. I am guaranteed 45 hrs, 9hrs a day, but I have to hang around til the end of my shift to get that, can use lieu, holiday or unpaid if I want to get out of there early though.

My bank holidays are single time with double lieu hours so I bank them for the odd days when all I get is a 4hr local, especially if I’m rest days after. The rest of the time its get back, fuel and wash down then snooze til clock out :smiley:

Having worked in construction for 30 years, mainly new build housing developments.
When new houses stop selling, they immediately stop building.
Many jobs across all sectors are then heavily impacted.
New build housing has a massive supply chain involved.

I live in what was a small town, its been getting bigger every year for the last 20 years! We have three construction sites at present. They are all making fairly expensive “luxury” homes. There is nothing for the young people to buy, rent or aspire to. Is this a national problem?

alamcculloch:
I live in what was a small town, its been getting bigger every year for the last 20 years! We have three construction sites at present. They are all making fairly expensive “luxury” homes. There is nothing for the young people to buy, rent or aspire to. Is this a national problem?

Yep.

Ultimately “affordable homes” means less profit for house builders. That’s why you don’t see many at a very rough guess.

Of course “a proportion” should be affordable housing but its a pitiful amount by comparison and allegedly it’s fairly easy for a developer to work around it.

alamcculloch:

Yes,‘executive’ houses all round,that’s why 35 year mortgage and heaven forbid,interest only are in fashion

If you were a train driver or post man or almost any one else I think you would …Haulage :open_mouth:

lynchy:

alamcculloch:

Yes,‘executive’ houses all round,that’s why 35 year mortgage and heaven forbid,interest only are in fashion

The figures speak for themselves:
statista.com/statistics/746 … llings-uk/
In the 60s and 70s we were building twice as many houses per year.
Now with house prices inflating (it is inflation) owners feel they are getting richer. They arent really, but those who dont yet own are further from getting a first foot on the ladder every day.

Its all politics, smoken`mirrors.

@trussliz
I want to abolish the top down Whitehall inspired Stalinist housing targets - that’s the wrong way to generate economic growth
Why do away with targets?
bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07vqbxr

Tailschwing:

cav551:
" They are still using his operator’s licence". Oh wow, that tells you something.

The guy left prematurely before doing a proper handover so it’s all a bit of a mess. He’s still helping in the background but the trucking side is a new business so is still finding its feet.

Just to clarify, the O-licence belongs with the operator, if this TM set it all up as his own company with him named on the licence, but has now sold the company, the O-licence will most likely have gone with the sale as part of the deal. If so then it’s no longer “his”. If he’s still TM on that O-licence after selling the company, it’s still no longer “his”, but he now has the responsibilities of a standard ETM. Either way, it’s pretty poor that this issue was not properly squared away at the point of sale.

A direct answer…

Yes, I would expect to be paid if I get stood down.

Once got paid by an agency for a job that blew out that evening. I don’t think I’ve ever been so surprised in my entire life.