Would you consider living on a narrowboat?

OK. That’s no problem so long as I don’t have to walk back more than about 2 miles.

Just a quick update, I had Driveroneuk along as as honoured guest today, we went through the final three locks in the Audlem flight, and although I’ll leave it to him to leave feedback, I think it’s fair to say that we both had a very enjoyable afternoon!

This may be of interest to some, it’s on the Norfolk Broads rather than canal based though.

nancyoldfield.org.uk

My first job on leaving school at aged 15 Easter 1953 was as an Office Boy with the Mersey Weaver & Ship Canal Carrying Co.Lits -Port Vale Wharf, Middleport, Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent.
The industry at that time was hanging on by its fingertips as the canals were increasingly ‘silting’ up -through lack of maintenance -and the advent of modern post-war road transport competition.
The Company I was employed with at that time had only two contracts; shipping out gravel (sourced from Pipe Gate quarries (A51 -between A53/A525)… taken to Runcorn ‘LIft’ -Manchester Ship Canal, and returning with China Clay brought up by boat from Cornwall.

My wage was two quid a week. ‘Long ago and Far away -I dreamed a dream one day…’

Harry Monk:
Just a quick update, I had Driveroneuk along as as honoured guest today, we went through the final three locks in the Audlem flight, and although I’ll leave it to him to leave feedback, I think it’s fair to say that we both had a very enjoyable afternoon!

Couldn’t put it better myself Captain Monk. A very relaxing and enjoyable afternoon indeed. Assistance was given to Desiree & her owner to navigate 3 narrow, deep locks in return for copious amounts of tea.

A few pics from last week for anybody interested…

Absolutely love all the pictures. Reminds me of my canal holidays! :smiley:

Yep, I’ve fallen in… :blush:

I had a wee trip on the Union Canal last week.Although not an epic voyage just from Linlithgow to the aquaduct at Avon gorge.The planning and foresight of the designers back then when there were no high buildings apart from church spires amazes me.

Quick update on the Bro in laws boat…

The diesel stove developed a fault & he was quoted around £150 to fix it so he decided against it & went for a solid fuel stove instead… not cheap at £720 just for the fire.

This is it today on it’s “test fire” :smiley:

How you getting on Harry? Some cracking pics…

Melchett:
How you getting on Harry? Some cracking pics…

Well, I had a fantastic Summer, went round the Four Counties Ring, and to the end of the Montgomery and Llangollen Canals. I was hoping to go down to London this month but unfortunately the money has run out so I’m off home tomorrow to work the truck over the Winter to try to build some savings up for next year…

I’ll probably be spending at least a couple of weekends a month on the boat in the meantime though, there’s always a long list of jobs to do!

What a lovely way to spend a summer. Some stunning scenery. Good to hear you’ve enjoyed it.

Melchett:
Quick update on the Bro in laws boat…

The diesel stove developed a fault & he was quoted around £150 to fix it so he decided against it & went for a solid fuel stove instead… not cheap at £720 just for the fire.

This is it today on it’s “test fire” :smiley:

Morso is an excellent stove for a narrowboat, and I’d certainly rather have a solid fuel stove than a diesel heater, especially as there is so much free wood to scavenge along the towpath. They just look so much nicer in action too. I’ve got a Villager Puffin stove which is a bit cheap and cheerful although it certainly does the job, when it’s up and running, then even on the most bitterly cold day I have to leave the windows and doors open.

Simon:

Harry Monk:
And then there’s this. There’s a bit of a story behind the Cap’n here, but I won’t go into it. :wink:

There is quite a story. There was a fleet of these, one of each class of Navy boat; frigate, destroyer, cruiser, sumbrine, etc. The originals were built for the Navy.

Raymondo son, is this you? :smiley:

Certainly hope not, and wouldn’t like to be him either as he is currently taking an extended holiday at one of her majesties property’s for VAT fraud :open_mouth:

Harry Monk:
Morso is an excellent stove for a narrowboat, and I’d certainly rather have a solid fuel stove than a diesel heater, especially as there is so much free wood to scavenge along the towpath. They just look so much nicer in action too. I’ve got a Villager Puffin stove which is a bit cheap and cheerful although it certainly does the job, when it’s up and running, then even on the most bitterly cold day I have to leave the windows and doors open.

I think he liked the look of a solid fuel stove but they ain’t cheap… like I said the stove alone was £720, the surround had to have heat resistant cladding & then tiled, not to mention the flue had to be fabricated! It must have cost him well over a grand.

It’s helped me out though as he’s taken the old fence panels I needed to get rid of to use as kindling, saved me hiring a skip :slight_smile:

Do you use smokeless coal on yours?

Just a quick question if I may? Going over that aquaduct, what’s to stop you falling off the back over the side?! :open_mouth: :confused:

Melchett:
Do you use smokeless coal on yours?

Yes, I’ve tried using house coal, or Polish coal, but it leaves a lot of very sticky mess in the flue so I either burn smokeless coal or wood which I scavenge at work, saw up, and then leave on the roof to weather over the Summer. Either way, I brush the flue out every two weeks, this is a pretty essential thing to do.

bazza123:
Just a quick question if I may? Going over that aquaduct, what’s to stop you falling off the back over the side?! :open_mouth: :confused:

In a word, nothing. :stuck_out_tongue:

bazza123:

Self preservation I would have thought :open_mouth:

raymundo:

bazza123:

Self preservation I would have thought :open_mouth:

Works for me :smiley:

A weeks time tomorrow, me n the wife are going to be on the L&L for a week.
We’re picking up a 45 footer from Silsden Boats in Silsden and setting off in the direction of Leeds.
We’ve hired a boat from here before, around 20 years ago, that was the 2nd time we had a hire boat holiday. Good memories :smiley: