Working the wholesale markets

Coddy
I used to work out of A Woods and most of the work was out of Sheerness, Dover or Newhaven docks all to the markets but I’m sure I remember loading out of their yard at Faversham or Sittingbourne■■?
I’m sure it was on the right going south and not much room in the yard?

Pat

Did the markets in london for a few years, once you get to know the guys on the stands things get done alot quicker. People are right about paying forklift drivers, though one guy let me use his, only cost the odd box left over :wink: .

thought i might try and start this thread again. i used to do the friut markets in the early 90’s. used to travel from the crewe area down to that there london, load at east wickam trantsport [dartford] or think it was freeway transport a13 heading down towards dagaham or the ports down there. the normal run was coventry, birmingham, wolves, wigan, preston, liverpool and manchester. leave that there london 7.30 pm if lucky and get back crewe 8.30am ish. each time you got to a market there would be 5 or 6 deleries to different pitchs. it was a very demanding job at the time and i didnt enjoy it much, but it is strange how you look back at proberly the worst job i have done with fond memories.

Haven’t done much market work myself but the first driving job i had (at 17) was on a 3.5t collecting from farms and loading the trailers to go away.
Leaving Penzance around 1700,the lorries would do Bristol/Birmingham/Liverpool or Birmingham/Manchester or Liverpool/Manchester/Sheffield,then over to Immingham to load fertilizer home.
The unloading was as much handball as it was forklift (due to the nature of the load) and each lorry did three trips a week with a 290 ■■■■■■■ and every third trip,the driver had a flat trailer.

How much is it a pallet to get tipped now :laughing:

When I was living in London in 1960 things were a bit dodgy for a while and I ended up sleeping “rough”. Every night at about 2am I would make my way down to Covent garden (The old one by the Opera House) where all the narrow little streets would be totally clogged with lorries, vans, stacks of produce and rubbish. Loads of people rushing about working hard and having a laugh.

It was easy to earn a few bob from a driver helping him to load or unload - all handball then - and by 4am the place would empty. There was a cafe where you could get a huge mug of tea and a doorstep of fresh bread and dripping for the equivalent of 2½p.

This was in the summer so I would go up to the park and sleep undisturbed in the sun all afternoon.