Working in/near northern Sweden's iron ore and copper mines

Yepp thats it pal. I dont have the a with the dot above it on my keyboard so wrote it in english. I can see how you were blown off the road as once you get to the norweigen side it really does just open up into wilderness with no trees… How long would it take from kiruna from there on a snowmobile then■■? I may suggest it to my friend if shes still there next year…

Hi acceptme.It used to take most of the day as we used to stop a lot to speak to people at different places and we also used to take a ride out over the Torneträsk lake between kiruna and riksgrensen as it was frozen and is about 50kms long.
I used to take a weekend break on the way back from Tromso so bought a scooter and left it with the polaris guy in Kiruna.Then lent it to anyone from my company who was going the same way.
If your girlfriend is going to work in Kiruna there is no shortage of snowmobile trails in that area. And a lot of good deals for second hand machines.A lot of Norgies come with scooters to that area as it is more relaxed than Norway.
Now i live in the forest so it’s just ‘‘out of the door and away’’.Last winter i was driving a lot in the forest with my quad which has caterpillar tracks fitted for winter so that was a bit different.Mike

Thanks for more useful advice Mike. I agree 100% that doing research is vital and, after all, that’s what forums like this are for! We have the same problem with people coming to work here in Moscow expecting things to just be like home and my employer also only wants people who can just get on with it rather than having someone hold their hand.

I’ve never worked in a foreign country without going to have a look first, so my trip to Sweden in February is just to do this and I wouldn’t be able to start work immediately, even if work was offered, as I’ll still be under contract here in Russia. If I liked it, prospective employers liked me and I wanted to move to Sweden, it’d take me until the summer at least to plan the move. It’s just that getting my licence will involve the time and expense of a quick trip to the UK during our Russian New Year/Christmas holiday in early January, which I was hoping to avoid. Of course you’re right though, it wouldn’t look too good if I didn’t have it with me!

Lastly, am I right in thinking that the unions require all the subbies that operate in the mines to offer the same wages and conditions of employment to their employees?

Thanks again for your tips.

Hi Travellingman.Theoretically it is correct that the unions try to maintain a standard wage structure with companies.However if you are offered a job or someboby wants you especially then it is always possible to ‘‘enhance’’ the wages in one way or another.This is an individual thing though.
It is a bit of a shame that you are trying to look for a job but not able to take anything which may be offered.
In the late spring\summer time there is a lot of work BUT they have many school leavers,and students who are also looking[and being offered] temporary work at that time due to the short summers and holidays so there is a lot of competition because if u work for 3 or 4 months hard in the summer you can almost make enough to see u thu the winter.Good luck mike

Thanks Mike! The problem is that it wouldn’t be a good idea to move without having a good look at the area and likely job prospects first and moving in the middle of winter probably isn’t a good idea anyway as I have quite a lot of stuff.

Hi all.Just finished reading an article from the news.The prime minister was in Kiruna for a visit today and has stated that between 2013-2017 the government is investing 3.5 billion krona[nearly £450 million]in the mining sector in Lappland for infrastructure,new roads,rail networks etc,with emphasis on Kiruna,Gällivare and Kaunisvaara.
'‘This investment is necessary to retain Swedens position as one of the worlds leading mining countries’'he stated,saying that ‘‘mining is to Sweden,what oil is to Norway’’.
This will mean a lot of work building better road networks and building a new railroad from Kaunisvaara to Svapavaara and improving the rail system from Kiruna to Narvik.
Good bit of new amongst all the gloom.Mike :smiley: