Winter Tyres Now Compulsory in Germany!

yes, so in other words it’s just a question of formulation of the rule.

“It’s compulsory to have winter tires” = not apply to me if foreign registered vehicle
“It’s illegal to drive on the snow without winter tires” = apply to me.

Having used winter tyres on a car the difference is like chalk and cheese but some insurance companies don’t seem to approve
BBC News Link
How they can charge for making your vehicle safer is beyond me, as some class is as a modifcation from standard failiure to tell them = no cover

mick_n3:
Having used winter tyres on a car the difference is like chalk and cheese but some insurance companies don’t seem to approve
BBC News Link
How they can charge for making your vehicle safer is beyond me, as some class is as a modifcation from standard failiure to tell them = no cover

Don’t even start me on British insurers.

When I was adding my gf to my insurance, my premium went up 20 quid, because it’s bigger risk. Now I wanted to remove her and they told me my premium will go 59… UP!

I asked how it’s possible, they said that she’s so good driver, that she brings my rate down. I asked if she’s worth -60 quids on the risk asesment if she will want to insure car only for herself if they will pay HER, but they evaded answer.

I asked how is possible that no matter if I add her or delete her, I always have to pay more. They started to sell me some ■■■■■■■■ about risk assesment and so on, so I just said “forget it, just keep her on my policy”. They said it’s impossible, as I already told them that she won’t be driving. I told them "but after finding how much it will cost me, I changed my mind and I decided that it will be much cheaper for me to lend her my car once a year :stuck_out_tongue:. Then she told me that IF I WANT MY GF BACK ON MY POLICY, I WILL BE CHARGED MORE AGAIN!!!

I told her, that I don’t want to remove my ex and then add her back, but simply not to remove her in the first place. The call centre girl was still insinsting that it’s impossible. So i told them that it will be better if she do something to make it possible, otherwise it will be impossible for me to continue insuring my car with them.

They called me back in 10 minutes saying that it’s indeed impossible, but I am so important customer for them that they will make exception for me, so the victory is mine :stuck_out_tongue: but I am still angry at them.

BTW: I moved to different part of the town, and my premium went up because it’s place of more risk. But somehow recently my friends moved other way round, from the place I leave now to the place I used to leave, and the same insurer put their premium up for the same reason.

This is all rip off, I am telling you.

…but to be fair I have to tell that I am so far happy with how they deal with my claim after my crash - all new parts will be fitted, I am wizzling around in brand new courtesy kart (p107) and everything seems to be all right :slight_smile:

orys:

mick_n3:
BBC News Link

Don’t even start me on British insurers.

When I was adding my gf to my insurance, my premium went up 20 quid, because it’s bigger risk. Now I wanted to remove her and they told me my premium will go 59… UP!

I asked how it’s possible, they said that she’s so good driver, that she brings my rate down. I asked if she’s worth -60 quids on the risk asesment if she will want to insure car only for herself if they will pay HER, but they evaded answer.

I asked how is possible that no matter if I add her or delete her, I always have to pay more. They started to sell me some [zb] about risk assesment and so on, so I just said “forget it, just keep her on my policy”. They said it’s impossible, as I already told them that she won’t be driving. I told them "but after finding how much it will cost me, I changed my mind and I decided that it will be much cheaper for me to lend her my car once a year :stuck_out_tongue:. Then she told me that IF I WANT MY GF BACK ON MY POLICY, I WILL BE CHARGED MORE AGAIN!!!

I told her, that I don’t want to remove my ex and then add her back, but simply not to remove her in the first place. The call centre girl was still insinsting that it’s impossible. So i told them that it will be better if she do something to make it possible, otherwise it will be impossible for me to continue insuring my car with them.

They called me back in 10 minutes saying that it’s indeed impossible, but I am so important customer for them that they will make exception for me, so the victory is mine :stuck_out_tongue: but I am still angry at them.

BTW: I moved to different part of the town, and my premium went up because it’s place of more risk. But somehow recently my friends moved other way round, from the place I leave now to the place I used to leave, and the same insurer put their premium up for the same reason.

This is all rip off, I am telling you.

…but to be fair I have to tell that I am so far happy with how they deal with my claim after my crash - all new parts will be fitted, I am wizzling around in brand new courtesy kart (p107) and everything seems to be all right :slight_smile:

Orys you’ve goto play them at thier own game, get a quote from other insurers each time you need to renew they’ll always be better as they always want new bussiness, but never bother to look after existing customers. And watch your quote change when you tell them you can get a better quote from their rivals. :smiley:

muckles:
Orys you’ve goto play them at thier own game, get a quote from other insurers each time you need to renew they’ll always be better as they always want new bussiness, but never bother to look after existing customers. And watch your quote change when you tell them you can get a better quote from their rivals. :smiley:

Oh, I know. This is normal way with dealing with them. But I can’t do it now as I am mid-term, I only moved. :slight_smile:

I don’t know about you Brits but in Finland every drivetyre that they sell has M+S marking. So what’s the problem? What kind of tyres are you using? I have Bridgestone M749.

I thought the minimum tread in winter for trucks in Germany was 5mm, 1.6mm in summer.

V8Lenny:
I don’t know about you Brits but in Finland every drivetyre that they sell has M+S marking. So what’s the problem? What kind of tyres are you using? I have Bridgestone M749.

I thought the minimum tread in winter for trucks in Germany was 5mm, 1.6mm in summer.

My car came with Yokohama Aspec:

Dealer promised that my car will be delivered on all-year tires. When I pointed out that these are summer only, he was really surprised: “Everyone in Scotland drives on them all year long” :slight_smile:

i thought the NAZIs were defeated.
obviously i’m wrong. :unamused: