Windy Weather Stories

Get blown over - manager says why didnt you pull over :unamused:

pull over in high winds - manager says why didnt you do the delivery x,y,z managed fine :unamused:

You cant win!

My last company even loaded we where practically empty, we had a average 5 go over every year nationally, one went over on the A69 and 10 seconds later a car transporter crashed into him no that is bad luck.

My best mate got blown over on the a726 i got sent up to handball the load into my trailer, when a say handball i mean proper don’t give a ■■■■ handball :laughing:

Ive had dozens and dozens of close calls in my last job, worst was on the M74 in tandem with another mate behind me. He says i was right on the cusp, i pulled into abington spewed my guts out and was shaking like a leaf :laughing:

Current job there is no curtains, trailers are only 13’4 and usually always run fairly heavy so don’t really worry about the wind anymore.

Worst trucks in wind are 14ft-16ft standard curtains and small box vans, they are the ones you always see go over. Never seen a decker go over in my life. And only ever heard of one container go over in my life.

merc0447:
Worst trucks in wind are 14ft-16ft standard curtains and small box vans, they are the ones you always see go over. Never seen a decker go over in my life. And only ever heard of one container go over in my life.

That’s me! I’ve had a couple of very hairy nights in winter doing runs upto Scotland on the M6 and M74, I’ve had the van down to 40mph many times going up that hill towards Shap after Tebay services. And had I felt brave and wanted to go any quicker the van wouldn’t allow it anyway, I think the Sprinter 313 (box-type Lutons, not the smaller Sprinters) is quite under-powered, so I’ve been struggling at 40mph in 4th gear quite a few times in winter. It’s not too bad when you have a full load on, but as someone who trunks them, I’m often travelling one way with the van fully loaded but on the way back it’s completely empty, and that is when the fun starts.

Funniest thing was, our ex-transport manager (note the ‘ex’) was obsessed with fuel economy and MPG’s, and couldn’t understand why in winter, when there’s 70mph gusts and it’s freezing cold, the Sprinter will only do 22MPG’s, whereas on a fine, calm summer’s day it will happily do 30+MPG’s. He had me in a meeting once saying that such a drop in fuel economy was unacceptable, “if Eddie Stobart’s suffered a 50% increase in fuel costs on windy days then then would go out of business in winter” was one of his more funnier rants. This a guy who did the job for about 10 years and I think actually went out driving twice in all that time. And that was only down to the local shops. Anyway, I digress…

On that particularly notorious stretch of motorway around Shap I moved to overtake a wagon that was evidently struggling a bit, I was only doing about 50 but this poor guy was doing less than that, so I indicated to move into lane 2 to overtake and as I was about a van’s length from his back doors a huge gust got hold of him and swung him out right across the carriageway in front of me and out into lane 3. Thankfully it was late at night and hardly anyone else was on the motorway but it really shook me up, had I been 15 ft further forward he’d have taken me out, no doubt about it. That night I rang the TM and told him I was heading south back down the A1 or was parking up for the night in a Travelodge at his expense, I ended up coming back to the A1, M1 then back over the M62 (which wasn’t much better!), what is usually an 8 hour shift ended up taking 12 hrs.

The latest Sprinters have a ‘Wind Assist’ function", where an onboard computer detects a sudden crosswind and activates the brakes on one side of the van to assist in preventing you going across the carriageway, a nice bit of kit but it isn’t going to prevent the van from actually blowing over if the wind is strong enough.

mercedes-benz-intelligent-dr … ind-assist

a couple of stories, I live in ■■■■■■■ so I’m used to it…
first story,
late friday afternoon, coming north towards scotch corner, matrix signs showing A66 closed to high siders…
didnt have enough drive time to go round by Newcastle so i parked up for the night at the Derry…
next morning I rang ■■■■■■■ police to ask if it was open yet… I got told “yeh its ok no problem now”…
so, scotch corner layby for breakfast roll and coffee…
one of my mates joined me before i got going again,
so we eventually got set off, me in front…
up over galley bank and past Bowes, then the wind started to pick up again… but being loaded with 23 ton , I wasn’t too concerned…
all the time we were talking on the cb, just general banter …
we get up past the coach and horses and the wind is getting really strong,
well, just before the ■■■■■■■■ border my mate ses " yer roof’s blown off"
i said zb off…
he ses " it has, honest "
so i get stopped in the next layby to have a look… he was right…
he said it just lifted at one side then came clean off and blew right across the dual carriageway…

so i rings my boss and said “me roofs blown off” he said “zb off” as well ,
i gets set off again and hadnt gone far when the transport manager muppet rings to ask " did you pick it up ■■"
Thats when I said “ZB OFF”

second story was when i was doing recovery work… I got called out late at night to recover an empty wagon and drag from the southbound M6 just before Tebay services…
the wind had caught him and spun him clean round and parked him perfectly on the hard shoulder… just a little bit of damage where the trailer had come into contact with the front bit…
one lucky but nervous driver…

i do have more windy stories but you must be sick of reading this by now so i’ll save them for another day…

Don’t take your sheet off here Luke we’ll do it when we get back too the quarry, DOH :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

I lost a sheet when loading on a dock in Felixstowe, loading a flat and all was going well until a gust got under the sheet and away it went like a giant sail, it ripped out four eyelets in the sheet already tied to the trailer to keep it in place and if I hadn’t let go I would have been swimming back, the sheet went about 200 yards out into the dock, a kind bloke gladly towed it back with his boat, it took three of us to pull it out of the water, I rolled it as best I could being as soaked as it was (canvas) and brought it back for repair - ah the good old days lol, this was about 1980 or so.

Never mind the 87 “hurricane”, how about a ride with Patricia?

Stanley Knife:
Never mind the 87 “hurricane”, how about a ride with Patricia?

No thanks. But I bet we all know a TM that would send us out in 190 mph gusts! :smiley:

I had tipped a decker box at Lea Green when they told me that I would have to wait for empty cages, when I called the yard W’boro the boss said " bring it back we need the trailer! So South bound over the Manchester ship canal at a nice steady 40mph in the slow lane (roadworks no hard shoulder) this “bloke” with a DAF CF and tandem box came flying past, it hit me like it really has hit the fan this time. The Plod had him on the hard shoulder by Knutsford and waved me to stop from the hard shoulder. I kept going, next day when I went in the boss said "there is some paint on the side at the top of that decker you had, the Plod sent him the video. :smiley:

Heading towards the M1 on the M25 (under the approach flight path to Heathrow) I spotted an aircraft really low, pass over the road ahead! 40mph hazards flashing I hit the turbulence (empty jumbo curtain- sider) I held it but it was close.

So with lower wages crap lorries and even worse maintenance, I decided a job at the farm was better than buying it.

Good luck men and don’t be late with my Cornflakes, or Fido’s chow ( he can be a ■■■■■■ when he’s hungry.)

Happy Days. I blame the Volvo F89 for my attitude.
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

blown of the friarton bridge 19 times got to do summit to keep your sutty of it when its far to windy :stuck_out_tongue:

No, but it’s more by good luck than good judgement.
I was driving a 113 Scania with a tautliner on coming down windy hill on the M62.
I was loaded with two 11 ton stillages.
When I got to the reservoir a gust hit me so hard from the left that I was in the middle lane before I knew it. I looked at the steering wheel and it was pretty hard over to the left and I was still moving right :open_mouth:
Very scary! Not fun.

I’ve lost count of the amount of blow overs I’ve attended. One of our patrols attended a heavy that had blown over, the 2 officers got out to check the driver when there was another gust and the wind blew another heavy other straight on top of the patrol car!!!