WILLEME

Here are two more pictures of the same truck. Any idea until when it was operated, and what has become of the monster?

A mix of Willeme’s, and some interior shots. Apologies if any have been posted before…

intg.JPG

intd.JPG

couchette.JPG

1974-WILLEME-TG100-0271.JPG

1973-WILLEME-TG200-0260.JPG

103879977.jpg

First one, still in running order is a pre-WW II model, an can be seen in shows. Pictures 2 & 3 show Willème L 10 B; the “B” stands for a front cab. The first is fitted with a Douzet cab; the second is what we call in France a “fourgon intégral”, meaning only the chassis + engine was supplied by Willème. Many interesting pictures on thie thread!

Froggy55:
Now, to add a little confusion, here’s a Pelpel-cabbed Willème, fitted with a 280 bhp Willème 518 T6c turbocharged engine. Registered in 1974, but certainly dating between 1965 and 1970. Blue one is a Cottard cab.

The half-tilted cab. Second one is a “Shark-nose” LD 610 T.

The turbocharged Willème engine.

Froggy, whats the story behind these pictures ? Is this some fellas private collection hidden away
in a barn somewhere ■■ Always amazes me what old rare stuff must be hidden away like this ?

A couple more.

DEANB:

Froggy55:
Now, to add a little confusion, here’s a Pelpel-cabbed Willème, fitted with a 280 bhp Willème 518 T6c turbocharged engine. Registered in 1974, but certainly dating between 1965 and 1970. Blue one is a Cottard cab.

The half-tilted cab. Second one is a “Shark-nose” LD 610 T.

The turbocharged Willème engine.

Froggy, whats the story behind these pictures ? Is this some fellas private collection hidden away
in a barn somewhere ■■ Always amazes me what old rare stuff must be hidden away like this ?

A couple more.

Well, I must confess I do not understand, as I took these pictures myself, and they’re not submitted to copyright! Here’s a new attemps with the turbocharged 518 T6c Willème engine under the Pelpel cab. If ever it disappears again, I would like to know why!

Brochure from 68/69 that really shows the cab chaos. Note the ‘Pelpel’ stamp over the erased word ‘Rotrou’.

Morning all,

Interesting post barreiros, Willeme always gave concise technical information to their potential customers.

When Cottard closed it left Willeme with a major problem. Some part finished cabs were completed by both Rotrou, and a few by Pourtout. Rotrou began to build the bonneted cab, (as per michels picture of the “squashed” dumper, with a slightly fatter bonnet). However the Horizon cab was re-engineered by Georges Pelpel, and then the same happened to the bonnetted cab. The steel carrier configuration was a speciality of Pelpel, (whatever the chassis, Hotchkiss, Bernard etc), But it was the production capacity and adaptability of Georges Pelpel `s staff that was instrumental in Pelpel becoming the prime cab supplier to Willeme.

Cheerio for now.

Most interesting documents, Barreiros! I didn’t know the tipping of the cab was an option, and had never seen that narrow NH-PF cab. Its driver must have felt terribly lonely; no way to smuggle a hitch-hiking girl inside…

An old front cab from Douzet with a “Fiche 75” semi-trailer…

More super stuff from the usual sources! Señor Barreiros’ spec sheet shows that all of the previously-mentioned cabs seemed to available as options, for a time at least.

I have previously regarded the Horizon cab as a bit of an oddball but, compared to its contemporaries in the early 1960s, it seems to be competitive in terms of size, plus it was a tilter, unlike some- AEC chose its European partner well.

The tipping option for the Horizon cab came only about in 66 (only one year before the Pelpel cab rivaled it), so it’s naturally rare, but those cabs are easily recognizable by the recessed headlights.

Most people probably never saw one of those narrow cabs, there wouldn’t have been many and certainly only for local work. Found this one on a French forum though, hope the author doesn’t mind me reposting it here:

004wil10.jpg

And another (or maybe the same?) from an old magazine:

Willeme in Spain :

never seen one live here in finland

michel:
Willeme in Spain :

Apart from the bowed front axle and the radiator, not much is left to tell us it’s a Willème! Is it a local “meccano”, or a truck fitted new with a (good) locally-buit cab? Certainly looks more spaceful than the cab fitted on the L 10!

michel:
An old front cab from Douzet with a “Fiche 75” semi-trailer…

Taking such an outfit from Le Havre down to Nice in 1953 (its registration year) at a max speed of 60 km/h certainly gave its driver the best opportunity to discover France!

Have posted these before in another thread, but they might be more at home here I reckon…

Cheers, Patrick

20160605_162214.jpg

I just remembered there was a Willeme thread, and thought it would be more appropriate for their pictures than Saviem’s fan Club.

This Douzet cabbed L 10 TB 8 belonged to the French Navy. Powered by the big straight-8 225 bhp engine.

Nothing of an African long-distance haulier, this is one of the very first Willemes in the 1920s. Upgraded with tyres instead of its initial solid-rubber wheels and probably a Diesel engine, it’s still in use c. 1960 to moves trailers on the premises of a transporter.

And now the only preserved Douzet-cabbed Willeme, a K 115 TP.

Froggy55:
I
[
Nothing of an African long-distance haulier, this is one of the very first Willemes in the 1920s. Upgraded with tyres instead of its initial solid-rubber wheels and probably a Diesel engine, it’s still in use c. 1960 to moves trailers on the premises of a transporter.

Hey froggy, think more that this one is a Liberty lorry ■■?

Eric,

I do think so too. Willeme started with reconditioning WW I Liberty trucks in 1921, just like Loheac did with the International Harvester M 426 after WW II. Some were later totally rebuilt and fitted with tyres and Diesels; then, Willeme built his own products, but they still were very similar to the Libertys.

Even this 1950 R 15 TP8 still reminds the Liberty with its curved front axle and unique radiator grille. The endless bonnet hides, of course, a straight-8.