Wigan Transport Companies

This is the front cover of a book that I came across recently, written by Tom Meadows,
a former employee of Walker Bros of Wigan for 25 years. Walkers designed and produced
some unusual lorries, e.g. this Pagefield railway shunter, which had a Gardner 6LW engine
and chain drive. Tom Meadows was a “Ministry Man” in his later days, so I imagine he will
have tapped the wheels of the lorries of some Trucknet members with his little hammer,
and issued quite a few GV9s in his time.
Ray Smyth.

These buildings were the site of Walker Bros Engineering, the maker of Pagefield lorries in Wigan.
From 1990, and for the next 4 years, I occupied bay No.4 ( Next to the lorry) to run my transport
and distribution business. The 2 Pagefield lorries are for Southport Corporation Cleansing Dept.
Ray Smyth.

It is with much sadness that I announce the passing of Dave Brookwell.
As a young lad, Dave was a driver with White Star Carriers of Wigan.
I first met Dave when he was at Hailwood Bros Transport of Roby Mill
near Wigan, He worked for Robert Baillie Transport for a short while
and then worked for Wm. Gaskell of Upholland for the rest of his career,
where he was Transport Manager for many years. Dave…Rest in peace.

Ray Smyth.

I refer to the passing of Dave Brookwell in my recent post on this thread.
Dave is seen here stood beside a Ford Thames Trader boxvan when in his
early days as a lorry driver at White Star Carriers, Cale Lane, Wigan.

Ray Smyth.

Barnett & Graham artic from Penrith, heading North on the M6. The location is
Gathurst Viaduct, between Junctions 26 and 27, about 1 mile to the North of
where the M6 links with the M58. At this point, the M6 passes over the Southport
to Wigan railway line, The Leeds & Liverpool Canal, and the River Douglas.
Pictures from Wigan World Forum.

Thos Woods Seddon Atkinson.

This KM Bedford VTU 103M was the first 16 Ton lorry that I bought in 1978.
I am stood in front of the Bedford in picture 1, and in picture 2, BIG H,
Harry Jones, ex Robert Baillie, and ex Connell & Finnegan, is checking his
ropes before setting off with a full load of pallets from Unit Pallets, Golborne.
Click on picture 1 for full image.
Ray Smyth.

VTU 103M.jpg

DAF fridge lorry on Wallgate, (A49), Wigan, delivering fresh food
to Subway in Wigan town centre. 11.02 2019.

Ray Smyth.

Bidfood DAF fridge lorry delivering to Wetherspoons “The Moon Under Water”
in the Market Place, Wigan, Wednesday November 13th 2018. Ray Smyth.

I heard earlier today that Joe Fleming has passed away aged 78. Joe was a HGV Class 1 driver
that I first met about 1970 when he drove for Roby Transport at Enfield Street, Pemberton, Wigan.
I remember him driving a 32 ton Atkinson, and was frequently seen loading at Heinz, Kitt Green.
Joe, Rest in peace. Ray Smyth.

McMullan Transport from Ballymoney in Co.Antrim, Northern Ireland,
had a depot at Worthington Way,Wigan, This is one of their Volvo
artics. Most of their lorries had personalised number plates ending MMT.

Ray Smyth.

Scania 81 CHB 284V was originally a Catnic lorry. From about 1986 it was owned
by John Wilkinson of James Wilkinson & Son of Wigan. It was mainly used with a
low loader trailer for carrying Forklift trucks for Regentruck, which was part of
the Lansing Bagnall operation from Basingstoke, later to become Lansing Linde.

CHB 284V...jpg

catnic1.PNG

Midway Haulage Ltd were based at Golborne, near Wigan, and were associated with,
or part of Hills of Cardiff. As far as I know, their main source of work was from the
H.J.Heinz factory at Kitt Green, Wigan. Judging by the registration number AJP 125,
a Wigan number, this AEC may have been new to Midway in the early 1950s.
The curtainsided AEC in picture 2 is passing through the centre of Wigan on its way
from the Heinz factory at Standish to Heinz at Kitt Green.
Ray Smyth.

Midway.jpg

Midway AEC.jpg

R.G.Brown Pipeline from Wigan. 1976.

wigan 1976.PNG

This 1920 Pagefield 4 ton lorry was built by Walker Bros Engineering in Wigan.
H.H. Timberlake was a truck and car dealership for many years, right up until
the 1970s, and possibly a little bit later. I remember Timberlakes being a main
dealership for Austin cars and vans. Ray Smyth.

This North West Cargo artic is passing over The Leeds & Liverpool Canal at Cale Lane, Wigan.
It looks like a countyside location, but it is about 2 miles from Wigan town centre.
I think the artic unit looks like a Volvo. Picture by Mick Byrne. Ray Smyth.

That canal bridge would have been built over 150 years ago and stands as solid as a rock . I wonder how many motorway bridges will be standing in 150 years ? We live in the age of everything being disposable .

Ray Smyth:
I heard earlier today that Joe Fleming has passed away aged 78. Joe was a HGV Class 1 driver
that I first met about 1970 when he drove for Roby Transport at Enfield Street, Pemberton, Wigan.
I remember him driving a 32 ton Atkinson, and was frequently seen loading at Heinz, Kitt Green.
Joe, Rest in peace. Ray Smyth.

Sorry didn’t know Joe. Correct me if I’m wrong Ray, but that looks like the Main Street in Wigan, which many years ago (1969) I would drive up on my way from Scotland with a load of timber for Riding and Anderton’s. If I am correct, there was a set of traffic lights at the top, which I hated to get caught at - I could nearly burn the clutch out trying to set off in second, but if I used crawler, I usually missed the lights, because you couldn’t change up! This was my Leyland Comet with a 375 engine and usually 10 tons of timber taking the gross weight about a ton over!

John.

rigsby:
That canal bridge would have been built over 150 years ago and stands as solid as a rock . I wonder how many motorway bridges will be standing in 150 years ? We live in the age of everything being disposable .

So, do,you look at those sixties built 50 odd year old concrete bridges on the M1 and worry about bits dropping off them as you drive under?

John West:

rigsby:

So, do,you look at those sixties built 50 odd year old concrete bridges on the M1 and worry about bits dropping off them as you drive under?

These days I avoid those highways to hell , I now have the time and freedom to. take the scenic routes . I leave it to my son to deal with motorways and the like .