Why do we.....

remy:

yourhavingalarf:
I’m sure…

I’ve seen US trucks with what appear to be singles on the drive axles.

Any of you Yanks care to comment?

Yes, they were all the rage a few years ago. They had some tractors with them on where I worked but I didn’t have them on my tractor so have no first hand knowledge of how they handled but most drivers who did didn’t like them in the snow. The company went back to all duals and as they’re all about money I doubt that they did it so just because drivers didn’t like them but more a performance issue.

I drove a Foden s105 double drive on super singles , the ride was awful and traction was poor , useless on mud or snow , went to double tyres as soon as the singles wore out .

cav551:

Star down under.:

Carryfast:
The bit I don’t get is using one set of wheel nuts to hold two wheels.That’s just silly.The idea of lug/stud nuts holding the inner and then another set of nuts holding the outer makes more sense.

■■■■■■■■, the wheel doesn’t need reinventing. :unamused:

Couldn’t agree more these [zb] stupid [zb] Yankee abortion of an idea things, which some of the Japanese small trucks have as well, are more than a pain in the arse. They have not just one way of ruining your day they have several.

ebay.com/itm/BUDD-WHEEL-INT … 2882487826

To be fair two wheels rattling around against each other just relying on the stretch of a stud to hold them both, by applying sufficient clamping force just through the outer wheel can ruin your day when the inevitable happens.

It’s similar to how I used to rope double stacked loads independently first the lower stack then the higher stack over the top.I never relied on one pass of rope to hold two stacks by trying to apply enough force to the top stack to also clamp the lower stack to the deck.

remy:
So, if you call an 8 wheeler that actually has 12 wheels an 8 wheeler, what do you call an 8 wheeler that has supper singles on the drive axle ? :confused:

We’re Brits we don’t count twinned wheels.Nor generally anything above an 8 wheeler nor trailer wheels. :wink:

You can get super singles for drive axles, 445/45R22.5 with traction pattern do the job fine and are used commonly in Germany for tippers and tankers, and less so in other European countries. However, isn’t there always a however, UK Construction and Use regulations differ from most other countries and here it is illegal to use single tyres for an axle rated at over 9000kg, even if the tyre is suitable. So you never see them here.

Just to come back to the 6x4 Magnum lightweight (well that’s what they called it but less heavy might have been more accurate), it used 3 x 7.5 tonne axles giving 22.5t gvw using 315/80R22.5, they did not use super singles.

Franglais:
I’ve had a double blowout on the drive, fully freighted on the motorway, and no major stability problems.
A steer tyre blowing is more of an issue, and they are always(?) singles.

I imagine you had been running a slack tyre and the good one couldn’t cope which then popped, the slack one was shocked and popped too. I consider consequence to be a rare thing with tyres

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wheel Nut:

Franglais:
I’ve had a double blowout on the drive, fully freighted on the motorway, and no major stability problems.
A steer tyre blowing is more of an issue, and they are always(?) singles.

I imagine you had been running a slack tyre and the good one couldn’t cope which then popped, the slack one was shocked and popped too. I consider consequence to be a rare thing with tyres

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say that’s a fair guess as to the way it was.
Rare? Once to me after a few million miles, so again, fair.

Carryfast:
The bit I don’t get is using one set of wheel nuts to hold two wheels.That’s just silly.The idea of lug/stud nuts holding the inner and then another set of nuts holding the outer makes more sense.

The twin nut set up is utter crap.
Isuzi use them on their litle 7.5 tonners, proper silly idea.

What you have to remember is the hub spigots carry the weight and locate the wheel/s, the suds/nuts just hold the wheels in place, only time they see any actual weight carrying duties, is when the nuts comes loose and the loose wheels wreck the hub spigots.

Oh God, Carryfast is off on a new hobby horse, stand by for six pages of why the tried and tested method of fixing wheels to hubs, is wrong…

the nodding donkey:
Oh God, Carryfast is off on a new hobby horse, stand by for six pages of why the tried and tested method of fixing wheels to hubs, is wrong…

:bulb: If we could only get away with the six page abridged version, I’d take that. :smiley:

Carryfast:

cav551:

Star down under.:

Carryfast:

■■■■■■■■, the wheel doesn’t need reinventing. :unamused:

Couldn’t agree more these [zb] stupid [zb] Yankee abortion of an idea things, which some of the Japanese small trucks have as well, are more than a pain in the arse. They have not just one way of ruining your day they have several.

ebay.com/itm/BUDD-WHEEL-INT … 2882487826

To be fair two wheels rattling around against each other just relying on the stretch of a stud to hold them both, by applying sufficient clamping force just through the outer wheel can ruin your day when the inevitable happens.

It’s similar to how I used to rope double stacked loads independently first the lower stack then the higher stack over the top.I never relied on one pass of rope to hold two stacks by trying to apply enough force to the top stack to also clamp the lower stack to the deck.

If you’d used a tarp there’d be no need for any ropes. :grimacing:

acd1202:
You can get super singles for drive axles, 445/45R22.5 with traction pattern do the job fine and are used commonly in Germany for tippers and tankers, and less so in other European countries. However, isn’t there always a however, UK Construction and Use regulations differ from most other countries and here it is illegal to use single tyres for an axle rated at over 9000kg, even if the tyre is suitable. So you never see them here.

Just to come back to the 6x4 Magnum lightweight (well that’s what they called it but less heavy might have been more accurate), it used 3 x 7.5 tonne axles giving 22.5t gvw using 315/80R22.5, they did not use super singles.

Volvo trucks in Irvine Scotland made some F10/ F12’s in 1984 ish with super singles on the drive axles, we saw them on the production line on a visit.
They went to a road tar tanker company nearby I believe to trial.

From my experience it was lack of traction and not fitting into the “tracks” giving bad handling on the supersizes. And for the twin bolting. Semmed like every Mack on mixer work had this bloody set up as well as left and right threads. A real pain in the arris