Why do some truckers drive such crappy cars?

a few months ago quite a few drivers got new 62/63/64 plate audi/bmw /mercs cars…most was on my start time and every morning we all turn up at the same time. I drive an 05 reg car and a few off the lads started askin “you still drivin that knacker about”… didn’t bother me for a few weeks but nearly every driver turned up week in week out with these new motors and a liitle niggling thought with a bit off green eyed monster crossed my mind every day…“we all do the same job how the hell can they afford cars like that”■■?..“maybe there partners have got good jobs”…“maybe the come across a windfall”…
anyway I asked one off the drivers in the transport waitin area one morning
“I like your audi! how much did that cost you brand new?”
“22k” was the reply
*uck me that’s expensive" was my reply
“lifestyle choice” was the reply…now im p155ed off thinkin what am I doin wrong we all get paid roughly the same until one of the the other drivers on the next table said … “£295 a month for 7 years”
my cars paid for so keep your flash motors…rather pay my mortgage of.

The state of a drivers car is often a reflection on the state he will have his truck.
I drive old motors as new cars don’t interest me at all but all are very clean and tidy.

bestbooties:

maga:
probably scared to death the gaffer will think he’s paying them too much and cut their money :laughing:

Many a true word…

The section of our yard where people leave their cars while away on tours resembles a very poor second hand car showroom/junk yard. I think it might be for the same reason. :laughing:

F-reds:
The missus has a job that is walking distance, so I’m on at her to get a “toy” car. I quite fancy an old Cayman… but so far I’m not winning! Likes her fiesta too much :open_mouth:

Then why don’t she walk ? Think of the planet !! :wink: :slight_smile:

elcamino:
“£295 a month for 7 years”

Its a unique kind of gullible that takes car finance over 7 years,Audi or not. :laughing:

raymundo:
Then why don’t she walk ? Think of the planet !! :wink: :slight_smile:

She does. And will continue to.

But I want a toy for the weekend and the only way I could justify it was make it “her” car.

Do keep up old chap :laughing:

We have drivers that have Lexus, BMW , audis. One with a 40k Range Rover and there is even a guy with a Porsche :laughing: then there is me on the same money with a 12 year old Vauxhall! I just don’t like paying car payments it’s honestly that simple. Don’t particularly like driving either :laughing:

Passes it’s MOT without too much fuss, the tyres are legal, the radio works. That’s all I need :laughing:

Had a £500 passat for past 3 years . does 60 mpg at 56mph and only has 235k on the clock . fantastic motor .
But i got 2.5k Giant Anthem X , £1600 commencaal hardtail and £450 ridgeback urban attack bike with 650b kevlar tyres .
The commencaal is going in next couple of months as spending couple of grand on 27.5in full sus of either Whyte or Kona variety

I use a £200 Ibiza for work so I can keep my £1000’s worth of hill climb car (a 33yr old Polo but only the shell is original), restored mk2 golf and fast road/race car Corrado at home.

The idea being as my works yard is full of scrap and waste if I puncture a tyre on my Ibiza it’s £25 for another but for example my Corrado tyres are £80 each. Also the Corrado was fully respayed last year so I don’t want to get a 2k paint job covered in crap.

Most of the drivers at my work drive sub £500 cars.

elcamino:
a few months ago quite a few drivers got new 62/63/64 plate audi/bmw /mercs cars…most was on my start time and every morning we all turn up at the same time. I drive an 05 reg car and a few off the lads started askin “you still drivin that knacker about”… didn’t bother me for a few weeks but nearly every driver turned up week in week out with these new motors and a liitle niggling thought with a bit off green eyed monster crossed my mind every day…“we all do the same job how the hell can they afford cars like that”■■?..“maybe there partners have got good jobs”…“maybe the come across a windfall”…
anyway I asked one off the drivers in the transport waitin area one morning
“I like your audi! how much did that cost you brand new?”
“22k” was the reply
*uck me that’s expensive" was my reply
“lifestyle choice” was the reply…now im p155ed off thinkin what am I doin wrong we all get paid roughly the same until one of the the other drivers on the next table said … “£295 a month for 7 years”
my cars paid for so keep your flash motors…rather pay my mortgage of.

I’m with you, I drive an 02 Passat, though I have had it for 7 years now. Kept my last car(audi) for 9 years, was 15 years old when I scrapped it, neede a new clutch amongst other things.

As for £22k Audi’s, My wife has a 52 plate A4, brought 3 years ago for £3000, 6 speed tiptronic auto, cruise control, dual cabin climate control. I’ve put an Ipod connection onto the radio unit, its a clean and tidy motor, that don’t look nearly 13 years old, drives well and goes like stink if you so wish, Plus she only pays £150 a year fully comp :wink: why would you pay £295 a month :unamused:

Oops

I’ve lived on old bangers my whole driving life.

All you need is a year’s MOT and decent breakdown cover. If I can then get a year out of the car before I’ve run it into the ground - then my entire year’s motoring has cost me what? - The cost of the car minus the scrap value… The old banger you get with a year’s MOT on it - and SOME advisories (I prefer ‘some’ to ‘none’ - because “none” sounds like a mickey mouse MOT don’t it?)

How much would you pay for a car that you only have to put fluids into, no costly servicing to speak of, and none of this “4 figures for the tiniest amount of damage” rubbish that seems common among the more Boy Racer type driver among the population.

I lost a car a year back, when getting rear-ended by a boy racer who wrote it off. I got paid out (eventually) more than enough to cover the purchase of another old banger, which of course I’d long since already replaced in the meantime.

Another year on, and said 2nd banger has now just been replaced by a third… Whilst I flogged the car I bought with 11 months MOT on it last year for only £300 less than I paid for it - to the scrapman at that. :sunglasses:

I did turn my nose up at a R reg Merc for £595 last week though - I couldn’t trust anything about it, as there were no advisories to give me some indication of what I need to take special care of.
Advisories I like to read about include things like “Ashtray missing” or "Number plate perished, but not enough to render plate illegal for reading purposes" or “rear brake pads half worn”…
You get the picture. Low liability but realistic things that just help me decide that the vendor is being honest. I appreciate I’m wide open to being bluffed, but if that is the risk I run - then I’ve been very lucky indeed over the years to have my motoring @ less than a grand a year + the fluids I put in it. :grimacing:

Made a drop at this place yesterday - the car park in the foreground had no less than a Ferarri BB, a Ferarri Testarossa, two really old Lamborghinis (both with all wheels missing!), and some super SUV type car just pulling out that I’ve never seen before with a Poseidon’s trident emblem on it…

C’mon petrol heads - what was THAT one then? :open_mouth: (I didnt get close enough to read any other aspects on the car, as it was leaving when I saw it…)

Even in this pic, there’s a couple of fancy cars parked there one can see… The firm must be some kind of MOT and seriving outfit for super cars I reckons?

I dont take the car, it’s only 13.8 Km to work so I cycle. Chained to the bike park with the front wheel in the cab with me, unless it’s going to rain in which case the whole bike rides on the bed.
My car is a Lexus, hers is a Clio, daughters is a fiesta.

Winseer:
Made a drop at this place yesterday - the car park in the foreground had no less than a Ferarri BB, a Ferarri Testarossa, two really old Lamborghinis (both with all wheels missing!), and some super SUV type car just pulling out that I’ve never seen before with a Poseidon’s trident emblem on it…

C’mon petrol heads - what was THAT one then? :open_mouth: (I didnt get close enough to read any other aspects on the car, as it was leaving when I saw it…)

Maserati Levante probably.

My car is just to get me were I want to go and back again. That’s all the interest I have in it. Passes its MOT each year and that’s when things get checked and fixed on it. Paid a couple of grand for it about 8 years ago and will keep it until it’s broken completely then buy a cheap shed to replace it. Not that bothered about cars and can’t get excited about them, paid more for my bike (pedal not motor) than I did for the car or will ever pay for any other car.

My car for the last 9 years until 3 months ago was a 1992 BMW 325i. I bought it for £800. I loved it. It was like an old faithful mechanical horse. I’m not into cars and find most cars boring and indescript. Conversely though, there are a couple of cars I would like to own though because I like the shape of them, the old 964 -911 being one. I’m a slow driver but that wouldn’t bother me. You can enjoy fine art without being able to paint.

The place I worked at until 2 years ago, most front end staff like me had boring motors and run abouts like corsas. The girls down the back had the fancy motors. The place I work at now, in the car park it’s, Porsche 911, Porsche 911, Porsche 911, Audi RS A4, Porsche 911 etc etc. That’s a European country for you with low tax. Being not privileged to such low tax and a commuting worker, I own no car!

astra diesel estate is pretty low end. av ur sills rotted at the back yet …

I drive a ‘crappy car’ because I can’t afford a ‘decent’ one bought with cash outright because I don’t do credit, leasing, finance etc.

Everybody can drive a flashy new motor at work,which they have paid for by working all hours god sends at a poor rate of pay,or its likely these days to be on contract hire.
Might have a crappy motor to sit in the yard most of the time,but what the wife drives could be a different thing because if its like my wife she would not be seen dead in a crappy car.