Why cant cyclists use the pavement?

DonutUK:
Easy way to reduce cycling fatalities/accidents to zero.

Ban the Lycra clad, whining, self entitled, [zb] totally. Safer for everyone.

Either walk, use public transport or get a car and pay for your road use.

:bulb: … or simply use their cycles responsibly!

yourhavingalarf:
Because…

Pavements are for pedestrians.

pavement
ˈpeɪvm(ə)nt/
nounBritish
noun: pavement; plural noun: pavements

a raised paved or asphalted path for pedestrians at the side of a road.
“he fell and hit his head on the pavement”
synonyms: footpath, paved path, pedestrian way, walkway, footway; sidewalk
“I had parked blocking the pavement”
any paved area or surface.
“the pavements and columns of these ancient ruins provided the material for more recent structures”

A lot of car drivers should keep this in mind when parking on a pavement because they are too lazy to find a suitable place to park! tossers

DonutUK:

That’s exactly the crap selfish attitude I was referring to. This whole “some don’t pay road tax so they shouldn’t be in the road”. Horses were around long before cars. Cyclists guess what, don’t pollute or cause damage to the tarmac. Also, the pavement is part of the road, as defined in the road traffic act. Does that mean pedestrians should be barred from walking a long a pavement because they don’t pay towards the upkeep of it?

Driving a car or any vehicle is a privilege, not a right. Cars and heavier vehicles pollute, and do damage to that road. Fact. Pedestrians, horses, and cyclists don’t. So yes they don’t pay road tax to use it. Doesn’t mean bullies is cars and trucks then have a right to mow them down does it?

DonutUK:

I assume most of the Lycra clad types also own cars which, will be taxed, so they can commute to work to pay for the Lycra and the bikes, which probably cost more than many of our cars.

This topic has took a right nosedive, lycra this car drivers that ! The main word is consideration people
, if other road users looked out for other road users then everything would be tickty boo but that ain’t gonna happen , your always gonna get idiots on bikes who jump red lights have headphones in and get in your way same as idiot car drivers who pass too closely and intimidate and then so called professional hgv drivers who sit on the limiter 1foot behind you or go for the overtake when you sitting on 50 on a single carrageway, the list can go on its just about making the best of a bad situation, life’s never gonna be perfect just get on with it .

This is my point. Every “type” of road user thinks they are the ones who in the right or somehow have more entitlement than others. When no one does, everyone just needs to be a little bit considerate and share. But it seems humans generally aren’t capable of doing this on the roads.

The classic on always being “well we have more rights on the road because we pay road tax”. :unamused:

So a horse pedestrian or cyclist causes as much damage to the road that needs repairing, or as much pollution as a car, van, bus, or truck does it? Ermmmm no. Get a grip. It’s a flawed and selfish argument. And also if we all were to go off that argument that only road tax payers should use the road, then All Pedestrians should be paying road tax to walk on a pavement. The pavement is part of the road as defined in the road traffic act.

Heres why -

DickyNick:
The biggest problem is every type of driver (car drivers, taxi drivers, van drivers, HGV drivers, Bus drivers, cyclists, pedestrians, horse riders) ALL think they are in the right, ALL think they somehow have more entitlement on the road than anyone else, when the fact is ALL have exactly the same entitlement as each other and need to SHARE.

+1

adam277:
Now they all use the roads I presume its the law but why?

pay special attention to section 64
gov.uk/guidance/the-highway … s-59-to-82

I must be missing something, ime most of the time, the majority of cyclists do use the pavement

i know ive posted it before but this clip sums up why the lycra brigade are utter pricks,with the knock on effect on most drivers to varying degrees.
the only part i cant comprehend is how anyone can be so angry without a gbh charge pending.
youtube.com/watch?v=2fkCmnUHZrw

I liked the clip where a lycra clad ■■■■■■■ jumped a red light and ploughed into the side of a bus in London, haven’t laughed as much in ages …

dieseldog999:
i know ive posted it before but this clip sums up why the lycra brigade are utter pricks,with the knock on effect on most drivers to varying degrees.
the only part i cant comprehend is how anyone can be so angry without a gbh charge pending.

Sorry mate, I can´t see that point of view in this clip :confused:
Guy in the gimp suit was waaaay too close, proper dangerously close.
Then you get the clitisist screaming like a baby, agreed, but then gimpboy joins in screaming and offering violence. His fault, I reckon. But BOTH of em are arses, I´m sure we all agree on that point :open_mouth:

DickyNick:
This is my point. Every “type” of road user thinks they are the ones who in the right or somehow have more entitlement than others. When no one does, everyone just needs to be a little bit considerate and share. But it seems humans generally aren’t capable of doing this on the roads.

I understand exactly what you are saying. Most drivers think they are in the right but usually through ignorance and not knowing what they should be doing.
They become complacent doing the same things day in day out and believe in their own head they are quite right.
Unless drivers are forced into learning the correct rules the selfish attitudes so many have will continue and more innocent people will be injured and killed. FACT.

adam277:
10-15 years ago cycling on the pavement wasn’t considered a issue.

When I was 10 (about 40 odd years ago) I was pulled up by a copper for cycling on the pavement and told in no uncertain terms to stick to the roads. So yes, cycling on the pavement has always been an issue.

adam277:
I managed to cycle to school for best part of 10 years on the pavement :stuck_out_tongue:
Never had an issue then again I didn’t ride everywhere with my face down and ■■■ in the air like a cat in heat.
Maybe if we could get rid of the spandex brigade it wouldn’t be too bad.

No you never had an issue,but more than likely the pedestrians had an issue with a clown riding a bike on a pavement instead of the circus ring

lolipop:

adam277:
I managed to cycle to school for best part of 10 years on the pavement :stuck_out_tongue:
Never had an issue then again I didn’t ride everywhere with my face down and ■■■ in the air like a cat in heat.
Maybe if we could get rid of the spandex brigade it wouldn’t be too bad.

No you never had an issue,but more than likely the pedestrians had an issue with a clown riding a bike on a pavement instead of the circus ring

Your right maybe im just nuts.
When I see parents take their kids some under 10 on main busy roads I can’t help but wonder why.
FYI I’m not talking about busy high streets in which the pavement area is really busy. But if there is no one using the pavement then why not use it? Especially if it will speed up traffic? Surely that is better?
Maybe the pedestrians had a issue with it but I never had any complaints because I had enough sense to give people priority.

It feels like im suggesting we all swap all our cars for pogo sticks, is it really such a crazy notion?

come and see the cyclist in senwick rd wellingborough, all heading to and from K+N and DHL , going like the clappers day and night , mostly on the pavement, no lights , no hi viz, no bells, side by side on the pavement (and on the side of the road they ride the council carefully removed all the street lights) dont even look where they’re going cuz they’re too busy chopsing to their mate or on the phone. umpteen times now they’ve come straight at me and the dog at night, and she’s got a hi viz lead, one numpty even got herself tangled up in the lead after trying to ride between me and the dog. they come up behind you and all you hear is ‘skooz plis, skooz plis’ and next minute they’re on you, prick on saturday came up behind on his bike , all i heard was ‘creeg, creeg’ (no bell)so i ignored that ( didn’t know what the heck it was) and walked onto the single file footbridge, ■■■■■■ follows, i turn left at the end of the bridge and stop to take her lead off and instead of turning right and going around me, ■■■■ brain turns left as well and has to emergency stop behind me. all bikes and no brains,

adam277:
Your right maybe im just nuts.
When I see parents take their kids some under 10 on main busy roads I can’t help but wonder why.
FYI I’m not talking about busy high streets in which the pavement area is really busy. But if there is no one using the pavement then why not use it? Especially if it will speed up traffic? Surely that is better?
Maybe the pedestrians had a issue with it but I never had any complaints because I had enough sense to give people priority.

It feels like im suggesting we all swap all our cars for pogo sticks, is it really such a crazy notion?

I think that the main point of the “cyclists on the pavement” thing is about the ones who either shouldn´t, or don´t need to be, there. I.e. adults.
I´m sure many people have no problem at all with SMALL children on their little trikes or very small two wheelers on pavements. Supervised by an adult, not about to knock old Mrs Smith down, etc etc.
No, it´s the adults who absolutely know what they are doing is wrong but choose to do it anyway.

steviespain:

dieseldog999:

Sorry mate, I can´t see that point of view in this clip :confused:
Guy in the gimp suit was waaaay too close, proper dangerously close.
Then you get the clitisist screaming like a baby, agreed, but then gimpboy joins in screaming and offering violence. His fault, I reckon. But BOTH of em are arses, I´m sure we all agree on that point :open_mouth:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
i agree the cyclist was a complete fanny.
i see the gimp being held back the fanny by not using the adjacent cycle path and unconsideratly delayed all proper road using traffic ( especially as its an uphill road ) leading to the aforementioned gimp loosing the plot and going ott caused by frustration.
this would be somewhat similar to tractors and tesco types driving to strict speed limits.
and i also can see the usual attitude brigade helmet cam tree huggers closing ranks and having their usual blinkered opinion of the altrication.
the only part i cant see is how gimp can be so infuriated and not have beaten the fannys brains out with the inevitable kicking he rightly deserves.
ive never really had many fistfights in my years of driving though have had a few confrontations and had the elbows off a few of them,but i couldnt get as angry as that guy without pulling the fanny off of his bike and beating his brains in. :smiley: