Why are you a Driver? POLL

I drive because I really enjoy it. I used to be a mechanic / mot tester but hated it.
After a few long days driving I really want a day off, but on my day off I see other trucks & really miss driving them !

Ash16:
im just doing my class 2 and its all i ever wanted to do or be the drummer for status quo. So i have had to choose lorry driving as the 2nd one will be a bit out of my range lol.

Lorry driving is a way of life you either love it or you dont

you wouldnt have to do a lot being quos drummer !!!

F) I had a job in sales, was constantly under pressure about profit and targets and threatened with diciplinary action when people owed money, it made me ill.
I now do Class 1 days and I’m a different person…love it! :smiley:

Seen some changes in 24 years doing the job, but still love doing it after all this time.

Drove artics on national and International for close on 32 years, the last four spent on a six wheeler rigid on domestic local work.

I used to love the life I had but towards the end I couldnt take being away from home anymore and quit. I look back now and realise how I missed the kids growing up, How I didnt dare take a day off when feeling unwell as your motor and everything in it would disappear for a week with someone else at the helm. How I wouldnt let the firm down but let my family down too many times with ‘wont be home this weekend luv, I’m doing a turn-around’

So now I’m a local lad, still dont let anyone down but at least I’m in my own bed everynight…and still with the same wife, who bless her heart put up with more than she should have done.

I have always said if I win the lottery, I would buy my own truck. It would be parked outside in the grounds of my fabulous house. I would set the alarm for 7 every morning get up, get dressed walk outside …and throw a brick at it:)

Dont get me wrong, i have been to places I would never have gone to, seen some wonderful sights, spoke to some wonderful people and generally enjoyed the good old days…but life on the road these days?..nah!

This is a good poll and some good replies. here’s my 2 cents worth…

I remember when I was a toddler, I would sit for hours playing with my matchbox toy trucks on my grans carpet, parking them up etc I also remember being in my pram outside a shop and a huge artic pulled up, he opened the door and left it open while he ran in the shop and gave me a smile as he went passed, I remember just sat there staring at the inside of it in amazement. I then remember watching B.J and the Bear I soon then realised that this is what I wanted to do and was probably made for. Took me a long time to get there, but now I feel I am almost finally home. started off with a car job, moved up to 7.5T work, then went on the buses, after that went on class 2 tipper trucks and various other class 2 work and now finally at 42yrs of age I am now driving with the big boys, but as a newbie still got a lot to learn, but thanks to this forum I have already heard some great advice :sunglasses:

Yorkysays:-:
Love the job, prefer Class 2 tramping (can’t get one) and I prefer my own company, trucking can be a ‘lonely’ job, not for me.

A lot of mixed messages there ! :wink:

Im a time served pannel beater and a qualified web designer. Having recently passed my c & c+e I think I have made the right choice. Im happy, moneys in.the bank at the end of the week, and i dont have to put up with half the ■■■■.my mates do and they are on less money. As long as your happy its all good!

As a kid I watched the tv series “The Professionals” and decided that Bodie was a seriously cool dude, he was ex Para (obviously on planet tv) so that decided me on becoming a steely eyed night killer and joining the army.

Around the same time the film Convoy came out, I liked The Ducks vests and decided he was a chick magnet so wangled myself into a tank transporter squadron to combine both bits together. Despite my best efforts and countless vests I never got the chicks. Ah, the power of advertising eh?

Still waiting for the advert telling us about Angelina Jolies underwear and I’m off!

In all seriousness, I’m fast approaching 50 and STILL haven’t got a clue as to what I wanna do when I grow up!

Dodgy Permit:

Yorkysays:-:
Love the job, prefer Class 2 tramping (can’t get one) and I prefer my own company, trucking can be a ‘lonely’ job, not for me.

A lot of mixed messages there ! :wink:

Spose so.
I find you can take 26t rigids to places you can’t take artics, that’s why I enjoy them more.
Like tramping and my own company.
I know some driver’s find trucking lonely and will spend ages talking when they get the chance.

chilistrucker:
option 2 for me.

snap! :grimacing:

I went for option 2 as I always wanted to be a lorry driver. Sad but true. I was a tipper driver for a few years and now work for 3663. I found the tipper work easy but boring, whereas the 3663 multidrop mayhem may not be for everyone but I love it as its a good balance as you are meeting people all day, varied work, sometimes it’s hard graft but I wouldn’t have it any other way.
I must be mad!!

Being an Ex squaddie i was lucky and got paid to do my class 1, they also paid me to do C&G in bricklaying, so I have been doing both Truck driving and Building for the last 30 years…most profitable has to be building, bought and paid for my house, but the most enjoyable and less stress by a million miles is truck driving… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

So to answer Robs poll i think i might be all the above… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: