Why am I so great?

where I worked at one place I walked into the office and one of the ladies said HEY HO WHAT DO YOU KNOW,i replied not much that’s why i’m a lorry driver,she replied ooooh good answer,lol

Oh and Narcos s3 is mega…[emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

switchlogic:

eagerbeaver:
I will tell you who is great. Me.

And now I will tell you why. Because after getting loaded at Jenkins on Liverpool docks earlier, I called at Tesco Litherland just off Dunningsbridge Road, and got 8 hot BBQ chicken drumsticks for £3 to enjoy on my break.

Beat that ■■■■■■■…

That’s actually fairly expensive for drumsticks. You’re clearly not an experienced Tesco bargain hunter! Come back when you have found an extra tasty cooked chicken reduced to £2.50. The holy grail of the bargain hunting world :wink:

Top tip - tomorrow afternoon around 2 is prime bargain hunting time in supermarkets

Extra tasty bird going cheap Luke? :neutral_face: Looks like you and Rooney share something in common :grimacing:

(Although to be fair, his will probably end up costing £40 million)

truckertang:
Oh and Narcos s3 is mega…[emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

About half way through Narcos S1 myself, liking the acting and story.
Finding the subtitles a pain thought.

Seeing as were on Netflix, check out The Ozarks. Now that is a good series full of plot twists.

UKtramp:
Well actually I don’t really think that I am so great but this should provoke a decent debate off. As a lorry driver, can your job satisfy your aspirations. Does a new truck or a certain make of truck make you feel better. Is the make of truck an actual influence on taking a lower paid job? Interested to hear from any sensible answers to any of these questions. Should you have a higher opinion of yourself in order to achieve a better job or higher pay.

Driving a big truck was all I ever wanted to do when I was younger, after going away with my Dad as a kid, and with older mates when I was in my late teens.

As I’ve said before the job was sooo much different then, and one aspect of it was that it had a good social life attached to it.
Going around some of the seedy places in late 70s London on a night out as a 17yr old was a real eye opener, not to mention a bloody good laugh… :open_mouth:

However things have changed so much, some for better, some worse.
The trucks have got much better, and I’ve driven all the good and ‘fancy’ stuff that I ever want to, so not fussed on that side of it anymore, and certainly would NOT take a pay cut as you say, to drive a V8 with spotlights. :unamused:

Why would you need a ‘‘High opinion of yourself’’ to get a better job exactly??
You are talking as if being a truck driver that you should ‘know your place’ in a Victorian type of way, with an element of shame and embarrasment.
In fact you yourself on another thread, once said that your wife did not tell your friends that you drive a truck :neutral_face: (paraphrased)
I have no problem telling anybody what I do.
To be wary of doing so would suggest an element, or type of, inverted snobbery, that is not me,.I do not look down on anybody and get annoyed if someone attempts to look down on me, so my opinion of myself, and self esteem is fine thanks.

What I have found a few times (which again slightly annoys me if I’m honest) is if I am talking to a stranger in a pub, or to another couple with my wife, that after a conversation some show surprise that I do drive a truck for a living, why is that?.., does everybody subscribe to the stereotypical ‘‘Thick truck driver’’ opinion…I do put them right btw on these occasions, and stick up for my fellow drivers.

I suppose I could have done better as a carreer, I started as a Mech engineering apprentice, with simultaneous A level courses at College finishing with an HNC certificate.
My brother in law with similar qualifications in the same trade, has a top job with BNFL and makes much more money than me for fewer hours.
I did have a haulage business in the 80s to try and make up for that loss (how wrong I was :smiley: ) that went ■■■■ up.
My plan was always for me to retire early, and have my boys running it, but hey that’s life.
So to summarise, I had a golden opportunity for a top job with top money, turned my back on it to go driving, tried to compromise by becoming the next Eddie Stobart :laughing: , but ended up being an employed driver again.
Regrets? Yeh many. :laughing:

eagerbeaver:

switchlogic:

eagerbeaver:
I will tell you who is great. Me.

And now I will tell you why. Because after getting loaded at Jenkins on Liverpool docks earlier, I called at Tesco Litherland just off Dunningsbridge Road, and got 8 hot BBQ chicken drumsticks for £3 to enjoy on my break.

Beat that ■■■■■■■…

That’s actually fairly expensive for drumsticks. You’re clearly not an experienced Tesco bargain hunter! Come back when you have found an extra tasty cooked chicken reduced to £2.50. The holy grail of the bargain hunting world :wink:

Top tip - tomorrow afternoon around 2 is prime bargain hunting time in supermarkets

Extra tasty bird going cheap Luke? :neutral_face: Looks like you and Rooney share something in common :grimacing:

(Although to be fair, his will probably end up costing £40 million)

That would almost work if I’d said bird and not chicken :wink:

robroy:
What I have found a few times (which again slightly annoys me if I’m honest) is if I am talking to a stranger in a pub, or to another couple with my wife, that after a conversation some show surprise that I do drive a truck for a living, why is that?.., does everybody subscribe to the stereotypical ‘‘Thick truck driver’’ opinion…I do put them right btw on these occasions, and stick up for my fellow drivers.

Sort of answered your own question there rob. If you read my post I am asking the questions not telling you. On the note of my wife being embarrassed at telling people that I am a lorry driver, yes she is, and by your own answer you can see why. I am not a snob, let me expand a little without trying to blow my own trumpet. Yes it is stereotyped being a lorry driver by some, you only have to read some of the comments found on this forum to understand why. Some drivers do not do themselves any favours on that score. If I was such a snob why would I myself drive a lorry? I can’t help my wife being embarrassed as she is used to telling people what I have been before and not what I am now. I have my own reasons why I drive for a living, not going into them now but there are reasons. You ask why should you have a high opinion of yourself in order to gain better employment, ok well I asked the question once again and was not telling you that you need to have a high opinion of yourself. However if you write a CV out you will need to put forward a positive slant on yourself in order to gain a better job. If you have a low opinion of yourself then it could be argued that any potential employer will also form a low opinion of you. You get what I am saying, Luke had said he has a low opinion of himself, well there is the opposite of this. I am asking these questions for a reason, not telling you that these are my opinions.

I am no longer a class one driving geru like I was because before I let that ticket expire just before they bought in the idiotic DCPC malarky, but I am big headed enough to tell everyone and anyone who is bored enough to listen that my present ‘drive’ is the largest and unique landing craft employed in the round timber trade on the west coast of Scotland which is helping to get trucks off the roads which are not fit for them … but it’s a boring job even if the wages are brilliant and I would prefer to be back trucking … :cry:

UKtramp:

robroy:

Sort of answered your own question there rob. If you read my post I am asking the questions not telling you. On the note of my wife being embarrassed at telling people that I am a lorry driver, yes she is, and by your own answer you can see why. I am not a snob, let me expand a little without trying to blow my own trumpet. Yes it is stereotyped being a lorry driver by some, you only have to read some of the comments found on this forum to understand why. Some drivers do not do themselves any favours on that score. If I was such a snob why would I myself drive a lorry? I can’t help my wife being embarrassed as she is used to telling people what I have been before and not what I am now. I have my own reasons why I drive for a living, not going into them now but there are reasons. You ask why should you have a high opinion of yourself in order to gain better employment, ok well I asked the question once again and was not telling you that you need to have a high opinion of yourself. However if you write a CV out you will need to put forward a positive slant on yourself in order to gain a better job. If you have a low opinion of yourself then it could be argued that any potential employer will also form a low opinion of you. You get what I am saying, Luke had said he has a low opinion of himself, well there is the opposite of this. I am asking these questions for a reason, not telling you that these are my opinions.

You think too much

Why bother having a high opinion of myself? I am what I am, if someone doesn’t like it, that’s their problem not mine.
I have a set of skills, some of them are useful for my current career, some of them aren’t. I’m obviously good at my job because my employer has given me additional responsibility over drivers who have much more experience and have been at the company longer than I have. Surely their opinion of me is more important than mine.

commonrail:
You think too much

I think I might do. :smiley:

Captain Caveman 76:
Why bother having a high opinion of myself? I am what I am, if someone doesn’t like it, that’s their problem not mine.

So do you have a low opinion of yourself then in this case, as you can’t have no opinion of yourself?

UKtramp:

Captain Caveman 76:

So do you have a low opinion of yourself then in this case, as you can’t have no opinion of yourself?

Why not?

UKtramp:
If I was such a snob why would I myself drive a lorry? I can’t help my wife being embarrassed as she is used to telling people what I have been before and not what I am now. .

By the way you word that last bit ie. ‘‘Why would I drive a lorry’’ you may as well have said something along the lines of… ‘‘why would I be in charge of a whorehouse’’ ‘‘why would I be in prison’’ or ‘‘why would I be a ■■■■ house cleaner’’
It suggests that in your eyes it is indeed something to be ashamed of, and some menial lowly occupation that you had ‘owned up’ to doing, …and tbh no offence, but does indeed actually suggest an element of snobbery in it.
Especially when you hasten to add that you had done something better, presumably in an effort to stress to me or anybody else, that it was not an occupation of first choice…or am I reading too much into it here. :smiley:

I used to know a few Dutch and Belgian drivers, I have never heard any of them or their wives describe their occupation in this way, so maybe it is a way to distance yourself from the ‘‘thick driver’’ stereotype I mentioned.
As for me I don’t feel the need to, I aint ashamed of my job, and I just let people make up their own mind about me when they meet me.
If they do look down on me, they are not the type of people I would wish to be associated with anyway, and for the record my wife is the same…We have managed to bring up 4 kids in a good way from the proceeds of this ‘‘low and menial occupation’’.

Captain Caveman 76:

UKtramp:

Captain Caveman 76:

Why not?

OK so you have no opinion of yourself ? These are not trick questions, I am curious what opinion you have of yourself, others will form an opinion of you as you will form an opinion on others. The question is what is your opinion of yourself, high, low or non existent.

robroy:

UKtramp:
If I was such a snob why would I myself drive a lorry? I can’t help my wife being embarrassed as she is used to telling people what I have been before and not what I am now. .

By the way you word that last bit ie. ‘‘Why would I drive a lorry’’ you may as well have said something along the lines of… ‘‘why would I be in charge of a whorehouse’’ ‘‘why would I be in prison’’ or ‘‘why would I be a [zb] house cleaner’’
It suggests that in your eyes it is indeed something to be ashamed of, and some menial lowly occupation that you had ‘owned up’ to doing, …and tbh no offence, but does indeed actually suggest an element of snobbery in it.
Especially when you hasten to add that you had done something better, presumably in an effort to stress to me or anybody else, that it was not an occupation of first choice…or am I reading too much into it here. :smiley:

I used to know a few Dutch and Belgian drivers, I have never heard any of them or their wives describe their occupation in this way, so maybe it is a way to distance yourself from the ‘‘thick driver’’ stereotype I mentioned.
As for me I don’t feel the need to, I aint ashamed of my job, and I just let people make up their own mind about me when they meet me.
If they do look down on me, they are not the type of people I would wish to be associated with anyway, and for the record my wife is the same…We have managed to bring up 4 kids in a good way from the proceeds of this ‘‘low and menial occupation’’.

I arn’t ashamed of saying it, my wife isn’t ashamed of me saying it. Not sure ashamed is the right word actually, I said she is embarrassed not ashamed. I can’t help how she thinks but as you said yourself, some reactions are surprised when you say what you do. I live in a house that doesn’t reflect a lorry drivers wages, so a lot of people assume your a doctor or something on those lines, so when I say I am a lorry driver you can understand their surprise.

UKtramp:

Captain Caveman 76:

UKtramp:

Captain Caveman 76:

Why not?

OK so you have no opinion of yourself ? These are not trick questions, I am curious what opinion you have of yourself, others will form an opinion of you as you will form an opinion on others. The question is what is your opinion of yourself, high, low or non existent.

I don’t have an opinion on myself simply because it’s not important. It doesn’t matter if I think I’m good at my job, it does matter if my employer does though. It doesn’t matter if I think I’m a great guy, it does matter that my friends think I am. IMO, how other perceive you is more important than how you perceive yourself. It keeps me on my toes, it keeps me trying my best and it stops me from being a complete cockwomble.

Captain Caveman 76:
I don’t have an opinion on myself simply because it’s not important. It doesn’t matter if I think I’m good at my job, it does matter if my employer does though. It doesn’t matter if I think I’m a great guy, it does matter that my friends think I am. IMO, how other perceive you is more important than how you perceive yourself. It keeps me on my toes, it keeps me trying my best and it stops me from being a complete cockwomble.

Bloody hell that was hard getting the answer that you have no opinion of yourself. That’s all i wanted to know. It is a theory from a friend of mine who is a clinical Psychologist, we were discussing people types and he told me there are basically three types of people, those with a high opinion, a low opinion and in some cases a certain type have no opinion. It’s just a debate we were having and I found it interesting what more successful people such as Richard Branson and Lord sugar etc have of themselves.

UKtramp:

Captain Caveman 76:

Bloody hell that was hard getting the answer that you have no opinion of yourself. That’s all i wanted to know. It is a theory from a friend of mine who is a clinical Psychologist, we were discussing people types and he told me there are basically three types of people, those with a high opinion, a low opinion and in some cases a certain type have no opinion. It’s just a debate we were having and I found it interesting what more successful people such as Richard Branson and Lord sugar etc have of themselves.

Shouldn’t have been that hard, it was in my first post.
I’m fascinated, what exactly is the theory that you’ve been discussing and how does it relate to lorry drivers? Bearing in mind that, just like any other section of society, lorry drivers have a wide and varied history, background and experience range. As such, I’d have thought pidgeonholing them en masse isn’t as a easy as one would imagine.

Captain Caveman 76:

[/quote]
This was your first comment.

Captain Caveman 76:
IMO, how other perceive you is more important than how you perceive yourself.

the very next post you then said this, as you can see it is quite contradictory and confusing as to what you mean. One of those statements is incorrect. I am not having a go at you as these are your words not mine as you can see. Psychology is fascinating and I always feel my friend is analysing me whenever we meet up.