Who would be responsible?

eagerbeaver:
So basically these ’ inspections ’ are part of ’ routine maintenance ’ carried out by the operator’s, and are simply part of demonstrating that they are responsible operator’s then?

Maintenance arrangements are a requirement of obtaining and holding an O licence and an applicant has to supply a copy of the maintenance contract to the TC when applying for the O licence. An operator will be invited for tea and biscuits if the schedule is not adhered to, but they are no more a driver’s responsibility than ensuring that the vehicle has had the VED paid.

Cheers Yoda’s :wink:

Every day is a school day :smiley:

Darkside:

eagerbeaver:
So basically these ’ inspections ’ are part of ’ routine maintenance ’ carried out by the operator’s, and are simply part of demonstrating that they are responsible operator’s then?

Operators set their own periods for inspections as well.

I am fairly certain that is not quite right. It’s not the operator that sets the period length it is decided by VOSA if inspection intervals can be extended from the 6 weekly inspection interval.

Longer inspection intervals are only granted to companies that are likely to be compliant.

Trucks have to have 6 weekly inspections but the inspection period can be longer in the case of DHL it’s 13 weeks which I think is the maximum allowed.

But as said it is the operators responsibility not the drivers.

Mot is a tricky one if I’m honest. Yes it’s the operators responsibility to ensure they are MOT’d but its also a legal requirement the same as your own car so I doubt you would be let off with a vehicle out of MOT.

A simple ask to see the relevant test certificate for the truck would suffice to find out if its MOT is current.

simcor:

Darkside:

eagerbeaver:

I am fairly certain that is not quite right. It’s not the operator that sets the period length it is decided by VOSA if inspection intervals can be extended from the 6 weekly inspection interval.

Longer inspection intervals are only granted to companies that are likely to be compliant.

Trucks have to have 6 weekly inspections but the inspection period can be longer in the case of DHL it’s 13 weeks which I think is the maximum allowed.

Not quite correct, when you apply for an O’licence you set your inspection regime, if there is no reason for the CLO, DVSA to object to it that is what it will be, however DVSA set out a formula for guidance on the recommended timescales and that done on distance travelled, age of vehicles and type of work, not the likelihood of compliance. I think they say some trucks on heavy off road work intervals can be as little as 4 weeks, as you say the max is 13 weeks.

muckles:

simcor:

Darkside:

eagerbeaver:

Not quite correct, when you apply for an O’licence you set your inspection regime, however DVSA set out a formula for guidance on the recommended timescales and that done on distance travelled, age of vehicles and type of work, not the likelihood of compliance. I think they say some trucks on heavy off road work intervals can be as little as 4 weeks, as you say the max is 13 weeks.

In that case it looks like I have bee misinformed then.

simcor:

Darkside:

eagerbeaver:

t.

I set mine at 8 weeks myself when I started, we do relatively low mileage and I decided 6 weeks was overkill. No one has ever queried it in 20 odd years.

simcor:

muckles:

simcor:

Not quite correct, when you apply for an O’licence you set your inspection regime, however DVSA set out a formula for guidance on the recommended timescales and that done on distance travelled, age of vehicles and type of work, not the likelihood of compliance. I think they say some trucks on heavy off road work intervals can be as little as 4 weeks, as you say the max is 13 weeks.

Where did you get the information that DHL was 13 weeks, as that would be well out over the recommended period for a normal truck on average mileage, but then it does give them maximum flexibility, as you can shorten the timescales of the safety inspections.

If the vehicle or trailer is 12 years or older then the SI interval should be no more than 6 weeks.
The chart is only a guide and it is the responsibility of you, the operator, to increase the number of safety inspections should the operating conditions demand it. Equally, the number of safety inspections may be decreased with notification to the Traffic Commissioners.

If you go to page 39, it shows the guidence chart for safety inspections.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/321988/guide-to-maintaining-roadworthiness.pdf

muckles:

simcor:

muckles:

simcor:

Where did you get the information that DHL was 13 weeks, as that would be well out over the recommended period for a normal truck on average mileage, but then it does give them maximum flexibility, as you can shorten the timescales of the safety inspections.

If the vehicle or trailer is 12 years or older then the SI interval should be no more than 6 weeks.
The chart is only a guide and it is the responsibility of you, the operator, to increase the number of safety inspections should the operating conditions demand it. Equally, the number of safety inspections may be decreased with notification to the Traffic Commissioners.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/321988/guide-to-maintaining-roadworthiness.pdf

I know it’s 13 weeks for a number of reasons. The inspection stickers that only go up to 12 weeks that the 12 is crossed out and changed to 13. The guy that does our inspections on our trailers most of the time. And also from looking at the compliance documents folders.

And how do you know it was done do they stick a sticker on the windscreen what a load of crap its nothing to do with the driver talk about wasting ink we have a daily check they have the same only theres is a 6 week and who gives a ■■■■ about it

simcor:

muckles:

simcor:

I know it’s 13 weeks for a number of reasons. The inspection stickers that only go up to 12 weeks that the 12 is crossed out and changed to 13. The guy that does our inspections on our trailers most of the time. And also from looking at the compliance documents folders.

Cheers :smiley:
Not doubting you, just interested, wouldn’t have thought most drivers would know the inspection regime, just know their vehicle has gone in for one, if they have a regular truck.
Is it just for trailers or for tractor units as well?

muckles:

simcor:

muckles:

simcor:

Cheers :smiley:
Not doubting you, just interested, wouldn’t have thought most drivers would know the inspection regime, just know their vehicle has gone in for one, if they have a regular truck.
Is it just for trailers or for tractor units as well?

I used to be a shunter for a while and worked closely with the compliance clerk. So got to see and understand more than most drivers.

I’m not actually sure on units as currently we have mostly long term hire units so assume they will be 6 weekly I guess?

I would guess 13 weeks for the leased units though as they just don’t go often enough for a SI to be done every 6 weeks at a guess.

Never really considered checking if they were the same or not to be honest. Just assumed they would likely be the same.

13 weeks for trailers and 6 weeks* for most units (*as said, frequency can be reduced for vehicles used in tough terrains or extended for vehicles with low mileage/workload) but the change and reasons and justifications would be submitted to the TC upon applying for the operating licence. Once accepted by the TC then they are expected to be kept to.
It’s not the drivers responsibility to know the inspection schedule however a lot of larger firms now have inspection week stickers by the drivers door so they know if they are within the inspection period.

simcor:

Darkside:

eagerbeaver:

Mot is a tricky one if I’m honest. Yes it’s the operators responsibility to ensure they are MOT’d but its also a legal requirement the same as your own car so I doubt you would be let off with a vehicle out of MOT.

A simple ask to see the relevant test certificate for the truck would suffice to find out if its MOT is current.

Nothing tricky about it, it’s the operators responsibility alone.

TiredAndEmotional:

simcor:

Darkside:

eagerbeaver:

Nothing tricky about it, it’s the operators responsibility alone.

Interesting view point, how do you come to that conclusion?

If you drive a company vehicle whether it be a car a van or a truck do you have to check it is roadworthy?

Does the vehicle need a current MOT to be roadworthy?

MOT

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 (47 - Obligatory test certificates), Government legislation cites that: “A person who uses on a road at any time, or causes or permits to be so used, a motor vehicle to which this section applies, and as respects which no test certificate has been issued within the appropriate period before that time, is guilty of an offence

I’m not arguing saying you are incorrect I’m just saying that in the eyes of the law you could be prosecuted for the offence as above along with the company.

It’s not particularly something I’d like to test out myself.

Generally in the eyes of the law ignorance of a law is not a defence.

simcor:
If you drive a company vehicle whether it be a car a van or a truck do you have to check it is roadworthy?

MOT

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 (47 - Obligatory test certificates), Government legislation cites that: “A person who uses on a road at any time, or causes or permits to be so used, a motor vehicle to which this section applies, and as respects which no test certificate has been issued within the appropriate period before that time, is guilty of an offence

I’m not arguing saying you are incorrect I’m just saying that in the eyes of the law you could be prosecuted for the offence as above along with the company.

It’s not particularly something I’d like to test out myself.

Generally in the eyes of the law ignorance of a law is not a defence.

The law uses words like ‘reasonable’ to clearly set out undefineable boundaries :slight_smile:

You are required to give a vehicle a ‘reasonable’ check before using it on a highway & there are guidelines about what is considered ‘reasonable’ to check. Whilst it is ‘reasonable’ to assume the average person would notice a bald tread pattern it is not ‘reasonable’ to assume they would notice a deep cut in the wall of in inner tyre hidden from view during a walk around check.

Are you breaking the law if you take a vehicle on the highway with a deep ■■■■■ hidden from your ‘reasonable’ view?

There are guidlines specifically aimed at drivers of LGV’s setting out what is reasonably expected from them before they operate a vehicle. If there are any qualified LGV drivers unfamiliar with them then I suggest they surrender their licence & re-apply for it after training.

Statutory defence, you are unlikely to be found guilty of driving without insurance, MOT as an employe unless it could be proven that you were were complicit.

simcor:

It makes sense when you think about it. Where I’m at the trucks run 24hrs a day and at just over 3 years old they’re already well over 600,000km with a few having turned over 700,000km. Therefore you’d expect the inspections to be far more frequent on a time basis than a company who has trucks that maybe only do a 1000km a week because the trucks I drive that usually do around 1000km a day would cover say 20-30,000km a lot faster than one that does 1000km a week .

No. A MOT does not say whether a vehicle is roadworthy other than when it is in the test. You could drive it out of the test station, stuff it into a tree opposite, bend the suspension and smash the headlights and quite clearly it wouldn’t be roadworthy. However a current MOT is required to drive it on the road but as it is unreasonable to expect an employee to know whether a vehicle is MOTd or not you’ve got a get out. The only caveat to that is an artic/wagon and drag trailer because there has to be a MOT disc with the expiry date on the trailer.

Harry Monk:

eagerbeaver:
Both. Why on earth would a driver use a vehicle if it did not comply with the relevant safety legislation? :open_mouth:

Vehicle inspections are not a driver’s responsibility and there is no requirement for a driver to know when one was last done.

This