Who was wrong

steve_24v:

flatbedman:
all ill say on this is, if i was struggling up a hill fully laden i wouldnt want to start backing off at the top to let someone else in, personally i think you left it a bit late to overtake & it would of shown your proffesionalism if you had backed down & pulled in behind him.

paul

And that’s the way I see it…

We often have this debate and all have their angle on it. Most of us run flat out and overtake when circumstances are right, but I wouldn’t expect anyone to ease off when going up hill. So sods law you’re going to get caught out once in a while, though I’d be reluctant to overtake when I know they have the edge on the straight, when it does happen I apologise, ease off and wave them through…

Seems sensible to me but best not get caught out there in the first place

Yes, I too agree with Paul and also your comments Steve. If they have the edge then I’ll just sit behind them unless it’s a long uphill drag like Barnsley on the M1 or Ainley Brow or Windy Hill for example.

Rikki-UK:

03 March 2005 | Camera Brought Dangerous Driver to Justice

Harry Rutter almost caused a head-on collision after crossing a single solid white line and overtaking two cars and a lorry on the A57 in Ladybower, on March 9, 2004.

Yes Rikki but the Red Text says it all, a [zb] big difference to the overtaking starting on a dual carriageway and being held out there because of the ego of the driver being passed.

True but the point remains the same Davey…
In law if he cant get past safely he either shouldnt try to overtake, or if when making the manouver he realises that it is becoming unsafe to back of and cancel the overtake.

It is NOT in law the responsibility of the person being overtaken to assist the overtaker with the manouver.

This being the case in the situation in the original post if a police officer decided that

I kind of moved over to get rid of him

and

It was either force the lane

was in fact dangerous then the driver of the overtaking vehicle could be prosecuted.

A defence that the truck on the inside speeded up and left him out there is not a defence in law, the overtaker should have slowed down and gone back in, or not tried the manouver at all if there was any chance it would not succeed.

Not saying its right… just saying that is the law :wink:

I agree Rikki but lets say this escalated to the point where the overtaking vehicle was forced to cut in and clipped the vehicle being overtaken :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I’m sure there would have been many witnesses who would have given statements that the truck driver in the inside lane was being awkward by speeding up and preventing the overtake to be complete.

There are many cases in court where the injured party have been found to be the cause of the accident despite the Highway code saying otherwise, a lot of the time common sense will overide any legislation if it is deemed neccessary hence the reason of Magistrates and Judges with a Jury who take all matters into account. In my opinion it was the driver in the inside being a pratt, I regularly encounter this on the A1.

Last week I was coming North past Bramham towards Wetherby as I climbed the little hill I passed a Rigid carrying Steel Mesh we both went over the brow together with me edging forward about 3 mph faster, but he then decided to speed up keeping me out there by riding along level with the last 2 or 3 ft of my trailer, no probs I thought its 3 lanes and another of our wagons was behind me talking on the CB we were now heading down the hill into wetherby yet the pratt in the rigid was expecting me to back off to let him over off the wetherby slip road, yes I admit to being unprofessional as I let him remain there and the truck behind did likewise, if they cannot let trucks back in then they can only be expected to be treat in the same manner.

If there is one thing I always do it’s ease off and let them past unless they are starting to lose speed rapidly on a hill and I’m travelling faster and its inpractible to drop behind them.

this bloke was cresting a hill ffs, a proffesional driver would have known that the truck would of speeded up at that point & should not of attempted the manoeuver, i say the overtaker was wrong, why should the other truck struggle up the hill, start picking up speed then have to pull back, i wouldnt have done

paul

You should have judged that you would be unable to complete the overtake before the crest of the hill. Having said that once you were committed the inside driver should have eased off particullarly as he had reached the brow and didnt have to slow on the hill to let you in, it would have shown him to be professional and not pig headed, macho, “you’re not overtaking me” type.

Tankie:
Just found it in the Highway Code:

144: Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle pass. Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass. Speeding up or driving unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous. Drop back to maintain a two-second gap if someone overtakes and pulls into the gap in front of you.

you are totaly right,but,the Highwaycode is many Years old and has a gray Beard.
now a question for traveling on a motorway:
If you run with cruiscontrol a speed of 56mph and 44ton will your truck slow on next Hill automaticly down.
at end of Hill will cruiscontrol bring you back to 56mph.
you overtake the motorway along a 50mph traveling Lorry who will overtake you with your 48mph hillupspeed as Cruiscontrol brings you back to 56mph.
How “Must” you react in each case?
I had mostly the Lorry wrong signed.
The F16 had a F12 on,the 502 had a 362 on and so.
It’s difficult to give a clear answer,if you don’t knoe the situation.
But,how ever:In Emergency kick the Brake and not the rottle and Horn,i would say

To my mind the situation is clear cut.
If the overtaker misjudges the speed and distance required to safely pull back in, he is to blame.
If the overtaken speeds up to prevent the other completing, he is in the wrong.
Seems that this case was the second of the two, so Paul is in the right.

The Derby case Rikki involved crossing a solid white line, a totally different situation.

Salut, David.

The Derby case Rikki involved crossing a solid white line, a totally different situation

The drivers defence was that the other veicles closed the gap he was going to pull into…

The courts rejected this as a valid defence.

It was not the responsibilty of the vehicles he was overtaking to help or ensure he could complete the manouver

Davey Driver:
yes I admit to being unprofessional as I let him remain there and the truck behind did likewise, if they cannot let trucks back in then they can only be expected to be treat in the same manner.

To deliberatley block a vehicle - effectively taking “revenge”, is bloody minded. :smiling_imp:

To leave another vehicle in no mans land (original post) is simply daft.

Both these increase the risk of one, or both, vehicles having an accident - so why do it? Common sense and self preservation suggests this is not a clever thing to be doing!

In the original post, it could be said the overtaing vehicle, being a good two thirds in front, is now the lead vehicle. So when the road narrows from two lanes to one, he has priority. But if faced with a pillock who won’t let you move over, the sensible decision is to pull back in behind - not to try and squeeze him out. :smiley:

How about right instead of worrying about who’s right and who’s wrong you just forget about it and move on with your life :sunglasses: after all, we all know 90% of hgv drivers on the road today are totally selfish morons so just get used to it and truck on without spending half your life whining about it :unamused: :unamused:

simon

spaceman:
[To deliberatley block a vehicle - effectively taking “revenge”, is bloody minded. :smiling_imp:

I agree 100 % and hence the reason I admitted to being unprofessional :wink:

There was no danger just the inconvenience of him having to find his way through wetherby back on to the A1 North Bound, but if it makes him stop and think about his own stupidity in future it was well worth it. There’s nothing more annoying than these morons who insist on preventing you getting back into the left just because you passed / started to pass them.

There are times a driver may be using a different vehicle to ussual and is unaware of that vehicles capabilities, but under normal circumstances the driver should know his vehicle and whether or not it can pass the vehicle in front.

well its a good job one driver was more pigheaded than the other…
Because god forbid had they both been courteous and backed off to let the other one through then they would have both ground to a halt and blocked the whole bloody road up… :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: …muppets!!