Who is coming in next?

Happy Keith:

jammymutt:
'… I really think … there is going to be a MAJOR driver shortage am I right or wrong…?

Wrong.

The leaders of the Lib/Lab/Con parties are all rooting for Turkey & their ‘drivers’ - with inevitable shrines & ■■■■■ gubbins obscuring their windows, to invade the UK via the undemocratic & cash leeching European Union.

Hey presto - the UK will then have enough ‘drivers’.

Driver’s wages can then stay stagnated to offset the UK’s £46,000,000 a day costs for the perks of being in the EU (?)

It’s win-win-win! Turkey wins by having UK citizens pay for their child maintenance; Politicians win by securing their retirement jobs in Brussels and UK lorry driver’s win by both maintaining their 15 year-old pay rates whilst basking in the joys of multiculturalism.

Lastly, it’ll then be a self-congratulatory ‘hurrah’ from whatever colour Government the nation’s predominantly left wing media has elected to then crow “what driver shortage?”

I know the UK are rooting for Turkey to join the EU, but many others aren’t, noteably France. So I think the chances of them getting in are low.
But of course business will look for the cheapest way to get drivers into trucks, so when any shortage might start to kick in they won’t put up wages or offer apprenticships, they’ll lobby for drivers to be allowed here from outside the EU, then rush them through thier test and DCPC hey presto you have a cheap workforce to keep the rest of us in check.

Although having had to go back to driving a truck on haulage work in the UK last year I’ll do anything to avoid ever doing it again. It’s no fun anymore just [zb]. :imp:

I’m 27 and thinking doing my HGV training. I know I like driving for a living because I’ve been doing multi-drop in vans for nearly 8 years now but the things that are putting me off are the two years experience rule and the low rates of pay. As much as I’d like to do the job I’m struggling to see the point in shelling out a lot of money for very little chance of a job and if I do get one the hourly rates are about the same as I used to get for driving a Sprinter, admittedly that’s more than I’ve been earning as an owner driver since I got made redundant in the summer but I think HGV drivers are underpaid.

Milk Lizard:
but I think HGV drivers are underpaid.

Lets be right Milk, there are a lot of us out here who would love the ‘problem’ of being underpaid whilst hauling 44

Well I’m 17, 18 this year don’t feel too long ago i was just turning 16 :smiley:

Been wanting to drive trucks since i was 2/3. And for many who have read my posts and threads will understand how passionate i am about this industry, currently in the process of writing about my ‘experiences’ of finally getting my foot into the trucking industry, and hopefully with this ‘opportunity’ I have been able to go for, I will hopefully get into the trucking industry with it. :grimacing:

I’ve always wondered myself why is it such a big deal for young ens going into the industry. All my dads ever done is try put me off going into the industry. from the age of 6 he tried scaring me saying ‘if you drive trucks for a living i want ■■■■ all else to do with you’ and now i’m on the final leg of going into the industry from the bottom up, I’m getting little to no support from family. Half of the reason the young generation doesn’t want to do this is because they have family like mine who choose to put you off what you want to do in life, thinking your going to make nothing of yourself, and trust me i’ve tried going to college to please them, to show i am able enough to do it,

Fact is - I can’t stand college, the constant ■■■■■■■■ and moaning from students is more annoying then i care to imagine, and half of them need there arses wiping for them because they can’t understand simple instructions. I’ve proved myself that I can get good grades and i’m not as thick as people make me out to be, and because i’m not like older brother whos at university i am doing things for me. A student re-doing his gcse’s because he did ■■■■ at school and got crapped on by his last college, making a class of A-level students look like idiots because i said you don’t have to go to university and i argued my points using this industry making them all including the teacher look absolutely stupid.

I’m coming into the industry because i’m passionate about it, its something i’ve love to be around and i’ll be damned if anybody will try tell me otherwise. Sorry if this seems abit of a rant but, for 17 years of living i’ve not had it easy, (NO not wanting sympathy, im saying it how it is :slight_smile: ) Personally any young guys on here whether it be 14 - 21 if you want to come into the industry do it, You can only find out by doing, not sitting around twiddling your thumbs wondering ‘what if’

Thats my two bobs worth :grimacing: :grimacing:

merc0447:
My depot out of 18 drivers

3 are under 30
10 are over 60

the other 5 floating about the middle.

All you have to do is sit in a waiting room fro a tesco RDC, livingston for example is like a OAP home :laughing:

You could argue at peak times there is already a driver shortage, that christmas just there we couldn’t get agency drivers for love nor money!

When i was in their i was the youngest driver by about 4 or 5 years, all thought i was mad for wanting to be a driver,
some of the older guys who were in their aswell as some of the longer term (than me) agency guys their were a bit peed off when i got onto the shunting.

but even still i have yet to get anyone younger than me in most of the places im in,
i got sent somewhere for a artic shift about a year ago, youngest driver by 15 years yet the only one who could drive an artic.

when i originally passed my class 1 at 22, (class 2 at 21) people couldnt quite believe i had my licence for it.

the problems gonna start in september 2014 when the old hands decide not to bother doing the dcpc, and who can blame them tbh.
as for me im still undecided if im still gonna be driving by then or not.

TonyCBR:
ok i have often thought of this too, ask any 14yr old these days what they wanna do when they leave school, most will say “dunno”
But as much as it pains me to say, the Stobart program, may have actually done us some good, with younger viewers, maybe just maybe, some of them will want to the job. Lets face it, we all moan about our wages, but it certainly is not the worst paid out there.

Only because of the number of hours worked on this job, as a rule.

I HATE KEBABS!
Once they’ve packed in the driving every village will have it’s very own salmonella emporium!
Cynical? Moi!
Crazytrucker
Matron allows us 10 minutes on the computer if we’ve been good.

Happy Keith:

jammymutt:
'… I really think … there is going to be a MAJOR driver shortage am I right or wrong…?

Wrong.

The leaders of the Lib/Lab/Con parties are all rooting for Turkey & their ‘drivers’ - with inevitable shrines & ■■■■■ gubbins obscuring their windows, to invade the UK via the undemocratic & cash leeching European Union.

Hey presto - the UK will then have enough ‘drivers’.

Driver’s wages can then stay stagnated to offset the UK’s £46,000,000 a day costs for the perks of being in the EU (?)

It’s win-win-win! Turkey wins by having UK citizens pay for their child maintenance; Politicians win by securing their retirement jobs in Brussels and UK lorry driver’s win by both maintaining their 15 year-old pay rates whilst basking in the joys of multiculturalism.

Lastly, it’ll then be a self-congratulatory ‘hurrah’ from whatever colour Government the nation’s predominantly left wing media has elected to then crow “what driver shortage?”

^this :imp:

Milk Lizard:
I’m 27 and thinking doing my HGV training. I know I like driving for a living because I’ve been doing multi-drop in vans for nearly 8 years now but the things that are putting me off are the two years experience rule and the low rates of pay. As much as I’d like to do the job I’m struggling to see the point in shelling out a lot of money for very little chance of a job and if I do get one the hourly rates are about the same as I used to get for driving a Sprinter, admittedly that’s more than I’ve been earning as an owner driver since I got made redundant in the summer but I think HGV drivers are underpaid.

Just keep thinking about doing it mate,don’t actually do it ! :wink:

• Unless you win big on the lottery * :laughing: