Who is attending the Llandudno show

Punchy Dan:
That was 2010 iirc Pete ,I collected a load of wood chip for my own use of course :blush: ,and got photographed by a Jenkinson driver :wink:

I hope you never slipped Dan?!

file-121.jpeg

Bewick:

Not driving itā– ā– ? :open_mouth:

240 Gardner:

Bewick:

Not driving itā– ā– ? :open_mouth:

It wouldnā€™t make it ,itā€™s only for show :laughing: :blush: :wink:

Bewick:

An immaculate elderly Lady who is a member of British HGV Royalty has no need to demean herself by being forced to arrive at the show under her own power. Itā€™s quite out the question that She should have to traverse todays roads full of common modern vehicles ! and heaven forbid get covered in filthy road film ! No she arrives in style chauffeured on one of the fine MAP outfits ! Anon 1. :wink: :smiley:

Tell the truth, Dennis- the 240 lump is reclining in that bl**dy barn of yours waiting for a ā€œfinal offerā€ from Hoo Flung Muck in Hong Kong. I would have thought you could have loaned- sorry, ā€œleasedā€- one of the alternative ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  engines to poor old Mike.

Bewick:

Bewick:

An immaculate elderly Lady who is a member of British HGV Royalty has no need to demean herself by being forced to arrive at the show under her own power. Itā€™s quite out the question that She should have to traverse todays roads full of common modern vehicles ! and heaven forbid get covered in filthy road film ! No she arrives in style chauffeured on one of the fine MAP outfits ! Anon 1. :wink: :smiley:

For me, the drive to and fromn the event was always more fun than the event itself!

Thatā€™s why I always preferred road runs, especially Ted Hannonā€™s brilliant North of England 2-day road run

Each to their own, eh?

i spotted the Bewick Borderer at the recent show at Jackā€™s Hill cafe. i didnā€™t realise the old girl was a ā€˜trailer queenā€™ :open_mouth: :laughing:

240 Gardner:

Bewick:

Bewick:

For me, the drive to and fromn the event was always more fun than the event itself!

Thatā€™s why I always preferred road runs, especially Ted Hannonā€™s brilliant North of England 2-day road run

Each to their own, eh?

Absolutely Chris, Iā€™m with you on that, but then again we had complete faith in the lorries weā€™d restored and after all the hard work involved in their restorations it was a pleasure to drive them. Mind you, I donā€™t think that I could manage one of Tedā€™s road runs now in either the Seddon or the Mandator. The lorries would still cope, Iā€™ve no doubts about that butā€¦ not sure about the driver these days. :blush: :blush:

gingerfold:

240 Gardner:

Bewick:

Bewick:

Each to their own, eh?

Absolutely Chris, Iā€™m with you on that, but then again we had complete faith in the lorries weā€™d restored and after all the hard work involved in their restorations it was a pleasure to drive them. Mind you, I donā€™t think that I could manage one of Tedā€™s road runs now in either the Seddon or the Mandator. The lorries would still cope, Iā€™ve no doubts about that butā€¦ not sure about the driver these days. :blush: :blush:

Got to agree with you about Ted Hannonā€™s run it was a great two days out. Iain and I did it several times with the Castrol ERF, Happy days. Regards Kev.

kevmac47:

gingerfold:

240 Gardner:

Each to their own, eh?

Got to agree with you about Ted Hannonā€™s run it was a great two days out. Iain and I did it several times with the Castrol ERF, Happy days. Regards Kev.

Iā€™m sure you could, Graham :wink:

Happy days indeed, Kev - I liked the way it started and grew, all by word of mouth, and endeavouring to maintain Tedā€™s philosophy of how it shouuld be. I did the very first one in 1990, and only knew about it because John Douglas took the trouble to call in at Bamber Bridge one day to tell me about it. For us, it was 4 crossings of the Pennines over the weekend, and I loved every minute.

Most years, I took a ballasted trailer, and that improved things no end. One of the Coupland videos (1998, I think) illustrated the different approaches to rallying quite vividly: the camera was set up at the top of Glenwhelt and first captures Mr Tuck whizzing up in Tysonā€™s gleaming Albion and waving to the onlookers. The next shot is of me in my 6x2 Atki with 18T of ballast on the flat. The Atki has green mould on the roof, is in crawler and you can literally watch individual wheel nuts going round, itā€™s that slow. Each to their own.

P1070790.JPG

P1070795.JPG

file-124.jpeg

Bewick:

That last photo is a cracker, Dennis!!

Brilliant pic!

I agree with the last two posts , itā€™s just a pity that the Bowker Atky crept into the shot and spoilt it a bit ! :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Seriously that is one great shot of a pair of the ā€œCrĆØme de la CrĆØmeā€ of the former British HGV industry, Happy days long gone ! Cheers Dennis.

I managed to pilot this old Scammell up there but have only just got round to putting the pictures on here, it made it there under itā€™s own Gardner 180 power, no trailering this about you know, it still does what lorries were made to do, work for a living. It was up in the town powering a couple of fairground rides, Mr. Howard said he could do with a bit more power for the generators as they only have 180ā€™s running them, he wondered if any retired hauliers might have a few 8 cylinder 240ā€™s stashed away in an old barn, heā€™s willing to travel to acquire the right thing & he has heard a snippet that there may be some tucked away in Westmorland.

As Mr Howard said when I first drove it ā€œif it doesnā€™t want to go in the gear youā€™re trying to get, you ainā€™t going to make it go in.ā€

I do believe there are some men about who couldnā€™t even get it off the yard!!!

It was nice to meet up with Mike P & he had his apprentice with him, nice to meet you too Dennisā€¦

Try as I might I canā€™t get the pictures to go the right way up

Well Robert, even you couldnā€™t miss a gear with that bloody great plate there to guide you! :laughing: Iā€™m guessing that Mr Howardā€™s ā€˜number one truckerā€™ was also on hand to put you right, you can always rely on Gavin to get the job done properly. If only he could learn how to work a camera he would probably post pics the correct way up as well. :wink: Oh, and its about time that Rootes product was out and about again as well.

Pete,

1970commer:
I managed to pilot this old Scammell up there but have only just got round to putting the pictures on here, it made it there under itā€™s own Gardner 180 power, no trailering this about you know, it still does what lorries were made to do, work for a living. It was up in the town powering a couple of fairground rides, Mr. Howard said he could do with a bit more power for the generators as they only have 180ā€™s running them, he wondered if any retired hauliers might have a few 8 cylinder 240ā€™s stashed away in an old barn, heā€™s willing to travel to acquire the right thing & he has heard a snippet that there may be some tucked away in Westmorland.

Well, that would save the vendor a pretty penny not having to ship the whole decaying lot all the way to Hong Kong!
And of course, thereā€™s the small matter of the ā€œfinderā€™s feeā€, although on past experience Iā€™m not holding my breath. Thereā€™s something about hauliers North of Birmingham and their ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  strings.

Shot on the road run up The Great Orme.