where to start

CPC card is automatic once the criteria are fulfilled I believe. The photo is the one on your licence / tacho card.

Edit: It might be that you need to have a relevant full category held before the CPC will start as once it is issued the countdown to renewal begins.

If you have passed mod 4 and LGV C then DVLA will automatically issue the DQC
The mod 4 test pass certificate is often acceptable by employers until the DQC arrives

ROG:
The mod 4 test pass certificate is often acceptable by employers until the DQC arrives

okay that’s great to know , so I should receive my new driving licence and DQC soon .

I gave my driving licence to the examiner as I already passed my mod 4 and didn’t need it anymore , in the meantime I’ll just take my LGV C pass certificate + Mod 4 pass certificate + tacho card to my job interview on Thursday , or I might receive my new licence before my interview .

exciting times ahead :smiley:

Nick911:

ROG:

okay that’s great to know , so I should receive my new driving licence and DQC soon .

I gave my driving licence to the examiner as I already passed my mod 4 and didn’t need it anymore , in the meantime I’ll just take my LGV C pass certificate + Mod 4 pass certificate + tacho card to my job interview on Thursday , or I might receive my new licence before my interview .

Many employers want to see the physical licence so be prepared for that

ROG:

Nick911:

ROG:

Many employers want to see the physical licence so be prepared for that

yeah that makes sense , hopefully my licence arrives by Thursday , if not I will still go on the interview and explain the situation .

my initial plan was to do my class 1 right after passing my class 2 but I know there is long waiting list due to lockdown , so I am just gonna try to find a job and gain some experience before doing my class 1 when the situation relaxes a little bit .

So basically I got an interview with brakes in Park Royal London which is only 3 miles away from where I live .
they seem like nice people over the phone/email and I told them that I passed my test just a few days ago and they are fine with that so I really appreciate that .

they told me the job involves 15-20 drops a day , mon-fri with one Saturday every four weeks and the salary is £35000 a year which is decent for a newly passed and I also appreciate all the company benefits such as holidays etc .

I understand the job is hard and involves a lot of lifting but I also acknowledge as a newly passed driver the most important thing to me is to gain experience and to get some hours behind that tacho , so I would be really happy if they gave me the job because that means I found a job one week after passing my test with minimum time wasted .

Any advice on what to expect on my interview day and any information about the company from people who previously worked for them would be highly appreciated .

Thanks

Brakes is an awful job, especially inside the M25. Parking problems around London is very stressful, especially if there isn’t an easily accessible off street delivery area. For Brakes to expect you to work 6 days/week every 4 weeks is really taking the mickey. They should be offering a 4 day week to give you a good work/life balance.

The reason that Brakes is so nice to you on the phone and by email, is because most drivers with even 3 to 6 months experience will steer well clear of Brakes.

£35k isn’t much for a hard working and stressful London job. You might take home £100/day after tax.

There are guys at my place (just outside the M25) earning £55k on nights doing shunting around the yard. Ok, not everyone can get the cream jobs, but it does put things in perspective. £55k doing an easy job vs £35k doing a hard job.

Before I went Class 1, I did 6 weeks driving a red London bus. That was probably as bad as the Brakes job.

I suggest you do 6 weeks on a dustcart (which is an easy job), and then go Class 1.

Take a look on indeed for Class 2 jobs in your area. There’s a huge shortage of drivers in London since April, so there’s many more clients who are now willing to give new passes a chance.

carlston49:
Brakes is an awful job, especially inside the M25. Parking problems around London is very stressful, especially if there isn’t an easily accessible off street delivery area. For Brakes to expect you to work 6 days/week every 4 weeks is really taking the mickey. They should be offering a 4 day week to give you a good work/life balance.

The reason that Brakes is so nice to you on the phone and by email, is because most drivers with even 3 to 6 months experience will steer well clear of Brakes.

£35k isn’t much for a hard working and stressful London job. You might take home £100/day after tax.

There are guys at my place (just outside the M25) earning £55k on nights doing shunting around the yard. Ok, not everyone can get the cream jobs, but it does put things in perspective. £55k doing an easy job vs £35k doing a hard job.

Before I went Class 1, I did 6 weeks driving a red London bus. That was probably as bad as the Brakes job.

I suggest you do 6 weeks on a dustcart (which is an easy job), and then go Class 1.

Take a look on indeed for Class 2 jobs in your area. There’s a huge shortage of drivers in London since April, so there’s many more clients who are now willing to give new passes a chance.

Hi thanks for sharing your experience , noted and really appreciate your help .

Nick911:
OMG I am sooo happy and impressed with DVSA, I got my provisional licence back today , I only done my medicals on Saturday the 7th of November and posted my application the same day and received my Provisional Licence back today :slight_smile: I immediately went online and booked my theory and hazard test both in one day at the same centre .
booked them for Monday 7th of December at Cambridge centre , I live in London Maida Vale area so it’s going to be a 60 miles drive to get there but I don’t mind I am just very happy that I got my licence back so quickly and my test is less than a month away , who knows I might have my HGV full licence before Christmas :smiley:
so I booked my theory for 12 noon on the 7th and hazard at 4:45 pm same day :sunglasses: Happy days

oh and just for your information I decided not to do the forklift training for the moment and just focus on Studying my theory for the moment , very wise decision indeed lol

Hey Nick, how is it going? whats the chances of finding someone in this forum from the same area. LOL
Im in Maida Vale also, Im just getting started ive sent off my provisional its been 2 weeks now. was hoping if youve got any training material yo can pass down ill pay for it, let me know.

anyway all the best

I had my interview with Brakes today which took nearly three hours, in the end they offered me the job and I accepted it .

the interview started with the manager explaining to me how hard , physical and demanding this jobs is hahaha
he was very very honest with me , he told me all the good and bad things about the job .
to be honest I was very impressed with their facilities , it looked like a well run and organised company , at least that was my first impression .

salary is going to be £34k a year but he said all driver’s salary including mine will increase to £39000 a year in about a month or two .

Well to be honest I am quite happy that I managed to find a job one week after passing my HGV driving test , what I am happy about is that I don’t need to go through agency work , I am employed by one company full time and they look like a reliable company as well , salary is good , free secure parking available , good holiday and other benefits and it’s very close to where I live .

so I am starting on Monday , one week of training then I will do three weeks of working with a driving buddy then I will be on my own doing my own routes .
oh and did I mention how nice and easy it was to drive an automatic lorry today hahaha, it was a much bigger vehicle than the one I did my training with but so much nicer and easier to drive it .

let’s see how it goes , I am very excited and looking forward to it .

bandobaby:

Nick911:
OMG I am sooo happy and impressed with DVSA, I got my provisional licence back today , I only done my medicals on Saturday the 7th of November and posted my application the same day and received my Provisional Licence back today :slight_smile: I immediately went online and booked my theory and hazard test both in one day at the same centre .
booked them for Monday 7th of December at Cambridge centre , I live in London Maida Vale area so it’s going to be a 60 miles drive to get there but I don’t mind I am just very happy that I got my licence back so quickly and my test is less than a month away , who knows I might have my HGV full licence before Christmas :smiley:
so I booked my theory for 12 noon on the 7th and hazard at 4:45 pm same day :sunglasses: Happy days

oh and just for your information I decided not to do the forklift training for the moment and just focus on Studying my theory for the moment , very wise decision indeed lol

Hey Nick, how is it going? whats the chances of finding someone in this forum from the same area. LOL
Im in Maida Vale also, Im just getting started ive sent off my provisional its been 2 weeks now. was hoping if youve got any training material yo can pass down ill pay for it, let me know.

anyway all the best

Hey Buddy
you’re in Maida Vale too , how funny hahaha

my training material from Wallace was all online but it’s all expired now and not Accessible anymore unfortunately , they gave me a highway code book as well but I already gave it to friend of mine .
Sorry .
Best of luck with your application and training though .