where to start

oi oi oi passed my Theory test today , both multiple choice and hazard which I am very happy about , I called my training school Wallace and let them know about it , they said they will get in touch with me to arrange and book my practice but warned me that there is a longer than normal waiting time because of this freaking virus .

Congratulations on passing your theory tests. All the very best with your practical training and tests.

Anyone who doesn’t want to wait too long should call PSTT on 01623 555661 where courses can still be booked for January.

Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Paul@PSTT:
I’m surprised they still have manuals - but at least you have options. But I would still strongly recommend you pass another car test. It really will be a lot easier.

I have no manuals as the rules changed in 2014 and I keep the fleet current.

Take care, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I’m showing my lack of knowledge here… but because I have a manual car licence I can take a C/Class 2 test in an auto and drive a manual? Is that the case for C+E/Class 1 too?

Cheers,
James.

Nick911:
oi oi oi passed my Theory test today , both multiple choice and hazard which I am very happy about , I called my training school Wallace and let them know about it , they said they will get in touch with me to arrange and book my practice but warned me that there is a longer than normal waiting time because of this freaking virus .

Congrats on the pass. Did you take your CPC Module 2 theory test too?

If not, you wont be able to take your CPC Mod 4 practical test, which could slow down being able to take on work…If I understand the rules correctly anyway :blush:

Once you get your CPC card, I would strongly recommend doing a couple of online CPC days training while you find work, as they’ll run through operation of a tachograph etc, depending on which topics you choose to cover… Doing them online is much more convenient than going to a classroom too. If you do the full 35 hours once you get your first CPC card, you’ll be covered for 10 years after you get your CPC card :smiley:

ADR can, depending on the training provider, count as CPC training hours too - I would hold off on the ADR as I can’t see a company taking a new pass out with an ADR load to be brutally honest. What part of London are you? If this lockdown fun continues or tiers etc… The parcel companies might continue being busy and that might be an avenue into driving via agency perhaps?

SBJames:
I’m showing my lack of knowledge here… but because I have a manual car licence I can take a C/Class 2 test in an auto and drive a manual? Is that the case for C+E/Class 1 too?

Cheers,
James.

YES and YES

ROG:

SBJames:

Cheers,
James.

YES and YES

WOW!

Congratulations on the theory and good luck with the test.

I ran a haulage company until I retired last year, all.our drivers needed ADR. My take is that I would have a new pass driver without an ADR that fitted into the company , than an experienced driver with ADR but with an attitude that wound up the other drivers and upset customers.

You might have to take rubbish jobs to start with, that’s often the way. Look smart, be polite and helpful and ask any of your mates if they know of any jobs going. We never advertised and only took on recommendation. Its worth knocking on the doors of smaller companies with your kit in the boot of the car and a 1 page CV to leave.

Good luck.

Hyh:

Nick911:

Congrats on the pass. Did you take your CPC Module 2 theory test too?

If not, you wont be able to take your CPC Mod 4 practical test, which could slow down being able to take on work…If I understand the rules correctly anyway :blush:

Once you get your CPC card, I would strongly recommend doing a couple of online CPC days training while you find work, as they’ll run through operation of a tachograph etc, depending on which topics you choose to cover… Doing them online is much more convenient than going to a classroom too. If you do the full 35 hours once you get your first CPC card, you’ll be covered for 10 years after you get your CPC card :smiley:

ADR can, depending on the training provider, count as CPC training hours too - I would hold off on the ADR as I can’t see a company taking a new pass out with an ADR load to be brutally honest. What part of London are you? If this lockdown fun continues or tiers etc… The parcel companies might continue being busy and that might be an avenue into driving via agency perhaps?

Thanks for your help .

I was hoping to start my practice soon but doesn’t look like it will happen any earlier than January so I just booked my CPC theory test for the 5th of January and hoping to get a call from my training school about my practice test date sooner rather than later .
so yeah in the mean time while I am waiting for my practice I will just study my CPC case study and focus on passing it on the 5th , to be honest I thought you are only able to do your Module 2 CPC once you pass your practice test otherwise I would have booked it for the same day as my theory test , so I am a bit annoyed that I am losing some time because of this misunderstanding and my own stupidity .

Question : so can I do my 35 hours periodic training online instead of sitting in a class room ?

Nick911:
Thanks for your help .

I was hoping to start my practice soon but doesn’t look like it will happen any earlier than January so I just booked my CPC theory test for the 5th of January and hoping to get a call from my training school about my practice test date sooner rather than later .
so yeah in the mean time while I am waiting for my practice I will just study my CPC case study and focus on passing it on the 5th , to be honest I thought you are only able to do your Module 2 CPC once you pass your practice test otherwise I would have booked it for the same day as my theory test , so I am a bit annoyed that I am losing some time because of this misunderstanding and my own stupidity .

Question : so can I do my 35 hours periodic training online instead of sitting in a class room ?

That’s it. Do your mod 2 theory and Mod 4 Practical to get the Driver’s CPC card- That will cover you for 5 years Then book 35 hours of periodic training to cover you for a further 5 years, that you can do online for the time being. I did my 35 hours online a few months back and it coverrs me until April 2026. It was better than being in a classroom. The ability to do it online is new due to Covid and didn’t exist beforehand. It could be a countdown clock when the DVSA decide everything needs to go back to the classroom and they might not give any notice ? (Something Pete might know of, if the DVSA are likely to give notice or not on such an item) Hopefully they wont do that before May 2021 as I want to book some more online hours to cover myself for as far in the future as possible…

I’m not sure if you need to pass your Class 2 test before taking the Mod 4 practical test ? It might be easier to squeeze in for a trainer compared to a week’s training for your Class 2 etc?

This what you can do assuming you passed car test after 1997
Mods 1a + 1b basic LGV theory + HPT
Mods 2 + 4 CPC theory + Practical
Mod 3 practical road/reverse
After passing mods 3 + 4 your DQC will be sent to you automatically then you can do 35 hours of online CPC
The second DQC will not be sent until your first one has almost expired

I am sure someone will correct me if I have a bit of that wrong :smiley:

Looks good to me ROG.

ROG:
The second DQC will not be sent until your first one has almost expired

I am sure someone will correct me if I have a bit of that wrong :smiley:

My second DQC was sent out a week or 2 after completing my 35 hours online, just short of a year before the previous one expired.

The powers that be are trying to get the cards sent out around a month or 2 before expiry of the current one. But it may not happen like that all the time.

Oh I’m not complaining… At least someone at the DVSA is on the ball

, on Flickr

I wonder if my CPC case study theory test will go ahead on Tuesday , my test centre is in Surrey which is in Tier 4 .
I hope it’s not canceled , Ive been practicing a lot and how will I find out if it is canceled?

Nick911:
I wonder if my CPC case study theory test will go ahead on Tuesday , my test centre is in Surry which is in Tier 4 .
I hope it’s not canceled , Ive been practicing a lot and how will I find out if it is canceled?

What town is it in ?

Sent from my truck

blue estate:

Nick911:
I wonder if my CPC case study theory test will go ahead on Tuesday , my test centre is in Surry which is in Tier 4 .

What town is it in ?

Sent from my truck

HORLEY , SURREY .

Nick911:

blue estate:

Nick911:

What town is it in ?

Sent from my truck

HORLEY , SURREY .

Sent from my truck

I’m in South Wales but yesterday got an email letting me know that my multiple choice test set for 29th December is cancelled, and that was before this latest lockdown, so guessing it’ll all be cancelled for a few weeks at least now! :frowning:

Wales tests are cancelled for AIRC 3 weeks from Christmas Eve. No-one knows about Tier 4 but I expect info on Monday. As soon as there is correct info I’ll post it.

Edit: this has been issued by DVSA gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus … tent=daily

I have also received a further email indicating that discussions are taking place around what action will be taken about driving and theory tests in other parts of the country. I’ll update as soon as I can.