Where to find work in the South West

switchlogic:

the nodding donkey:
Go wash your mouth with soap…

I wouldn’t ■■■■ on Gregory if they were on fire. I’m with Cannotwin in Xhands. But looking at a 4on-4off tramping job on the milk near Chepstow atm.
How you looking at getting back on the road?

Touché! Shame you’re not on this side of Wales , MDS is looking for 4 on 4 off drivers

I’m good cheers, still waiting on HGV but have car licence . Been looking for van jobs but it seems being a driver 24 years isn’t good enough so far :smiley:

Nothing doing on the vans around Swansea and Port Talbot for Amazon? I know it’s pretty crap but at least it’s out and about rather than being couped up at home

James Richards:
Evercreech will ask if still shipping out to Malta and back or drop and swap trailers at the Italian docks and trailer tug tractored on for a driver waiting in Malta

^ Dream job.Used to see the trailers when driving to/from Enna in Sicily as part of the GT racing calender and tried to find out how to get on the job.Dead man’s shoes whether employed or owner driver from what I could find out let alone no Euro ‘experience’.Not surprising all full load trailer swap.Like Mondial in London doing Cyprus trunks.
Surely all subbed out to East Euro based third country traction now ?.

switchlogic:
Been looking for van jobs but it seems being a driver 24 years isn’t good enough so far :smiley:

Welcome to the real world that I know.Hope it all works out in the end.

Carryfast:

switchlogic:
Been looking for van jobs but it seems being a driver 24 years isn’t good enough so far :smiley:

Welcome to the real world that I know.Hope it all works out in the end.

Thank you, hope you’ve recovered ok

My error Carryfast,Willmotts are based in Waterlip and not in Evercreech where Peter Green are but the Malta run is a secret what they run down and up with but I can’t say it publicly for their security.

The Malta runs are in tautliners not fridge trailers with Willmotts from Waterlip Shepton Mallet in an old quarry with the Scania garage.

saintryan:
Hi all,

Currently I am training to be a driver and thinking about where I would like to base myself once qualified. My partner works from home full time and can move anywhere in the country. Currently we live in Sheffield and would really like to move somewhere down towards the South West (Devon, Cornwall, Somerset etc). My question would be where would be best■■? I’m guessing if I’m doing class 1 work we are talking about being close to regional distribution centres (Bristol, Exeter etc) and for class 2 work I could plonk myself anywhere hopefully. I’m hoping to earn £35-40k a year, be on decent hours and would like to find myself in a place where there’s work and it pays well.

Any advice and help would be appreciated. Thanks

We looked years ago to move back to Bristol , we could afford a house for what we could get for ours in Grantham , but not as nice , we looked round knowle west , hartcliffe & southmead , I was fine with it but mrs wouldn’t entertain living in those areas
So we didn’t move forward , but one day

bridgewater or exeter best,

bridgewater has some big RDC of morrisons, refresco. also RT keedwell. exeter has a lidl rdc and big royal mail depot. i think if you go further south and west into cornwall theres less and less work and more badly paid. but youll probably find something anywhere these days

mate of mine does class 2 bin lorries in penzance says they are desperate for drivers, cornwalls really nice place in summer but its grim through the winters all the way down there, in my opinion

Keedwell■■? do not forget your saddle and boots lol

dozy:

saintryan:
Hi all,

Currently I am training to be a driver and thinking about where I would like to base myself once qualified. My partner works from home full time and can move anywhere in the country. Currently we live in Sheffield and would really like to move somewhere down towards the South West (Devon, Cornwall, Somerset etc). My question would be where would be best■■? I’m guessing if I’m doing class 1 work we are talking about being close to regional distribution centres (Bristol, Exeter etc) and for class 2 work I could plonk myself anywhere hopefully. I’m hoping to earn £35-40k a year, be on decent hours and would like to find myself in a place where there’s work and it pays well.

We looked years ago to move back to Bristol , we could afford a house for what we could get for ours in Grantham , but not as nice , we looked round knowle west , hartcliffe & southmead , I was fine with it but mrs wouldn’t entertain living in those areas

Your Mrs was correct dozy those areas in Bristol are like scum Central chav land. :open_mouth:

SWEDISH BLUE:
Keedwell■■? do not forget your saddle and boots lol

When is the last time you worked for Keedwell?

For what it’s worth, if I lived near Highbridge, I’d probably still work for Keedwell. Main reason I left, was the unavailability of odd extra days overtime on the 4on 4off rota from Newport.
And the craptros trucks… :grimacing:

Ha, you chose three of the worse areas in the city.

drover:

dozy:

saintryan:
Hi all,

Your Mrs was correct dozy those areas in Bristol are like scum Central chav land. :open_mouth:

Yet our dozy was happy to go and live there…

Those are the worst suburbs of Bristol, not even the SAS would go there.

I drive for Pallex based in Launceston, night trunk is 40k.
Was on nights, at Davidstow ex farm milk and only 32k.
I wouldn’t bother with Conway unless you like tramping on near minimum wage

If you want the money then Bristol or around that area, 30k is about the going rate for day mon-fri driving south of Bristol.
Don’t listen to the anti Gregory crew too much as most of them have never been near the firm or just talk out of their backside, they’re a big company with a lot of different contracts that might suit you.

I had no issues at all when I was at Gregory’s

Stussy:

I did … :grimacing:

You can earn £35k in Exeter but there’s not a huge choice of work. If you were committing to moving from a different part of the country it’s risky, and gets more risky the further south you go. Maybe a backup plan if things go wrong?

I would suggest living in Taunton and work in Bridgwater at the Morrisons RDC, its run by Wincanton. Bristol is a great choice for work and as has been said before, you could live in south wales and commute, although I have no idea of house prices or quality of life around Newport.

I didn’t take to Somerset personally, Devon is nicer. I lived in Clevedon, North Somerset, for a while which is just weird in a way you can’t put your finger on. Bridgwater is full of inbreds. I found North Devon to be a category of it’s own due to it’s geographical location, a bit insular if that’s the right word. Don’t be tempted to move somewhere just because it has lovely beaches.

Stussy:

My only issue was the TM “Dopy Colin” :unamused: