Where is the big money in haulage

lolipop:
£1000 Big money is in the “gaffers” pocket and it usually stays there.
£400 could be big money to some especially when you have been out of work or sick for along time on basic “hand out money” and then £400 top line looks big.

^ This.
In addition to the cost of living increase since 2000 doesn’t seem to justify the around £350 pw ‘gross’ class 1 nights I was getting in 1999 take home was around £250 pw out of that on single rate tax.
Whereas the around £200 pw gross I was getting for less hours doing the same job in 1985 wasn’t bad.
I’d be more than happy with around £400-500 pw before tax now living on £100 pw UC. :frowning:

I take home £700 quid a week for 60hrs and 4 nights out. To me 700 quid for driving an 18 tonner is good money

Mass immigration has driven down wages for driving and also other sectors

So to find the highest wages you need to look in the parts of the country with the least immigrants. Cornwall, North Yorkshire, places like that have the mega money. 99% white English people live there you see.

Don’t try to find a job in the golden triangle or the South East. There are so many immigrants there and they work for peanuts which has driven down pay. Minimum wage if you’re lucky

chrisdalott:

So to find the highest wages you need to look in the parts of the country with the least immigrants. Cornwall, North Yorkshire, places like that have the mega money. 99% white English people live there you see.

Don’t try to find a job in the golden triangle or the South East. There are so many immigrants there and they work for peanuts which has driven down pay. Minimum wage if you’re lucky

Complete nonsense. You’ve no chance of £12/13 hr in either of those places because there are very few hauliers for a lot of drivers so they can offer minimum wage and have no problem recruiting. In the golden triangle there are miles and miles of logistics companies lining every street so there aren’t enough Tomasz’s to go round and so have to offer comparatively “good” money if they want their stuff moving.

Truckerian99:

Stacks74:
I keep hearing of big money out there £1000 a week , I’m aware of big money in heavy haulage and oversized , but what about general haulage I was listening to a bloke on 5 live saying the cost to get a container delivered
To his business has doubled since last year partly down to brexit and driver shortage , but has this rise in prices been passed onto the driver any container lads want to chime in also bulk haulage with night out money and tax paid what can you bring in on a good week £££

We should ALL be on ‘big’ money especially when you look at the toilet roll panic of last year’s lockdown, but sadly we’re not. Everyone talks about ‘essential workers’, but it’s literally happy clappy bulls**t. Your doctors, nurses, truck drivers, bin men, grave diggers etc are staggeringly underpaid for what we do. Personally I’d pull the plug on society and hold a national essential workers strike until they see life with overflowing bins, empty shelves, untended sick, unburied bodies like Britain in the mid-70s!!!

Imported labour has not helped rates either and firms have been ■■■■■■■ wages too. Not too long ago a firm I worked for binned wage rises three years on the trot because the DC across the road , which they also ran, paid drivers a lower rate and they wanted to equalise us. So rather than increase them, they held us back.

The reality is you will earn 35-40k a year for a 48hr 5 day week with fairly basic benefits, taking home around 5-600 per week. So, not a poverty wage by any means, but nice car, pay your bills, have a holiday, feed and clothe your kids and that’s it!!

I’ll second that!

I’m at Farmfoods Bristol and it’s 13.54 an hour, 48 hours a week guaranteed

Pretty decent for me compared to some places

Mick Bracewell:

chrisdalott:

Complete nonsense. You’ve no chance of £12/13 hr in either of those places because there are very few hauliers for a lot of drivers so they can offer minimum wage and have no problem recruiting. In the golden triangle there are miles and miles of logistics companies lining every street so there aren’t enough Tomasz’s to go round and so have to offer comparatively “good” money if they want their stuff moving.

WHHOOOOOSSSSSHHHHHHH

You again. :unamused: You’re like a fly 'round [zb] - can’t keep away.

I’m on that in the NW driving rigids and home every night. Grafty work, 50-55 hrs a week max. Early starts. Standard pay is good, OT is 1/4 extra after 40 hrs. Paid breaks. A lot of daily “performance” bonuses involved that earns me £250+ extra a week to get that rate however. Haven’t failed to get the bonuses yet in 2 years.

Not a job you can do for a long time.

I’m earning good money driving but they don’t give much of it to me.

Supermarkets is one way.
Easy to max your hours.

But at the same time they are very strict with infringements. Also its ■■■■■■■ soul destroying work.

People go do supermarket work after the ‘big’ money. They soon just want to go home early as possible. Money is not everything.

adam277:
They soon just want to go home early as possible. Money is not everything.

^ This.

It’s deffo not about the money it’s getting up and looking forward to doing another day’s or night’s work and more or less enjoying it.To me driving trucks was like being paid for a hobby and wouldn’t have traded an open road and the surrounding countryside on a mid summer evening at 8-10 pm and morning at 4-6 am and even the rest of a warm night with all windows open and the wind blowing through, for the world.
But the life v money trade off can damage financial security in the long term.
With hindsight I really wish that I could have settled in engineering and factory work like my Dad but it was never going to happen.

Carryfast:
But the life v money trade off can damage financial security in the long term.

In the long term, we’re all dead!

StormST:
I’m on that in the NW driving rigids and home every night. Grafty work, 50-55 hrs a week max. Early starts. Standard pay is good, OT is 1/4 extra after 40 hrs. Paid breaks. A lot of daily “performance” bonuses involved that earns me £250+ extra a week to get that rate however. Haven’t failed to get the bonuses yet in 2 years.

Not a job you can do for a long time.

Where’s that mate ?

Try and get into the fuel industry mate. You’re treated like a professional and be earning good money for the hours you put in.

Aren’t Royal Mail drivers on £18/hr ?

BigTipper:
Aren’t Royal Mail drivers on £18/hr ?

Yes between 02AM and 04 AM Its abit less for the other hours, still if you dont mind red motors get in there, you wont sweat.

Ah the holy grail of £1000 a week. Doesn’t really exist. I’ve had a few weeks over the course of my career where I’ve pulled in £1k but that was when on agency in London and doing 8/9/10 max hour shifts a week but those days are long gone

Mick Bracewell:
You again. :unamused: You’re like a fly 'round [zb] - can’t keep away.

Bit harsh on yourself there chap, calling yourself s**t. I’m sure you don’t smell quite that bad

Pre 0500 starters are all on £1000 per week.
60 hours.
Mon-fri