Where do you find work?

In these days of stagnant rates, one tries to opt for the plummier jobs rather than the dull ones. A shift where the time goes fast is better than one where you find yourself kicking your heels around some yard, because you’re only on domestics or shunting for example. Busy is always better than Bored.

Eg. Domestic over Shunting, Medium distance over Domestic, Trunking over deliveries/collections, etc according to your own personal tastes. Some people hate motorway driving for example, whilst I rather like it. The motorway haters can do all my bothersome deliveries up some country lane in the back of beyond, and I’ll do their RDC trunks for them - how’s that? :grimacing: :stuck_out_tongue:

animal:
Went round most in area phoned sent cv out e mailed cv out

Since April I have been offered 7 full time jobs

Have used agencies in the past & would again if had to dont like them think they are a evil necessity have there uses but should be regulated with so code of conduct & non of these non jobs dont need them any more

Yes, getting a job offer isn’t as hard as some make it out to be.
The fact that you’re looking forward to the 8th offer for consideration when it comes, suggests that like me, you didn’t quite fancy taking the paycut that taking a full time job over agency involves nowdays… :slight_smile:

Winseer:

animal:

Have used agencies in the past & would again if had to dont like them think they are a evil necessity have there uses but should be regulated with so code of conduct & non of these non jobs dont need them any more

The fact that you’re looking forward to the 8th offer for consideration when it comes, suggests that like me, you didn’t quite fancy taking the paycut that taking a full time job over agency involves nowdays… :slight_smile:

Took a full time job as was better than the agencies but most of the work for getting work was done feb/march since april these offers have come in but now looking at better companies with better pay etc need the regular income & finding the job in transport that suits me best

ajt:

scanny77:
word of mouth is the best advertising. treat your drivers right and they will tell other drivers. treat your drivers like robots and they will tell other drivers

drivers talk to each other :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

Companies not drivers :wink:

Not many luxuries for drivers to pick and choose these days

fair point. My company has its own policies and does not offer a standby or call out service. I was booked for a shift tonight without my permission. I phoned the client and informed them that i will not be there for it. No guarantees or exclusivity are offered unless they offer something in return. They don’t guarantee work, i don’t guarantee availability

Winseer:

animal:

Do agencies still pay more than working full time for a firm? A few years ago they did and that made up for time when there was no work now there are so many agencies after the same work hourly pay as gone down or stayed the same when firms have had pay increase’s. I used do some work for Sainsbury’s they have paid the same hourly rate for the last 5 years but have stopped paying for breaks so a pay cut but there own drivers have had a pay rise each year and still get paid for breaks.

Up and down the country, Agencies are robbing P.A.Y.E. Drivers of thousands
and thousands of pounds - in Holiday Pay.

Even if you only work just one day for an Agency, they have to charge the Client
for your Holiday Pay - but you don’t always get it.

Sometimes it’s like flogging a dead horse.

Most agencies up here pay the same as full time drivers I just like the security of a full time wage coming in

Why do agencies phone you book confirm then within 30 min call back saying the job cancelled It is not cancelled they have another driver or even agency to cover it

Chas:
Qu’ 1. The 2 worst culprits in my area to spam the jobsites are posting upwards of 30-40 non jobs a day each. What demographic is a potential recruit that they need to see 30+ adverts when only 1 is needed?

That’s just plain ridiculous if it genuinely is that amount of ads. In a competitive area I would imagine they’re just doing their best to monopolise the market, so to speak. If all you see is (I’m making this up) Drive4Us and when you’re speaking to other drivers, their marketing material is being used in transport offices etc - it’s hard to avoid subconsciously contacting them over anyone else, especially the lesser known ones. Chances are they’ve also got a certain degree of pulling power with the larger firms in the area because of just how established they are.

I think you know the answer to your question in relation to ‘what demographic’. For every 10 drivers they attract on the back of their 30-40 daily ads, they’ll probably use 2-3. Sorry state of affairs entirely.

Stanley Knife:
Agency’s are already supplying drivers into these companies, so what leverage would you use with the prospective client to enable your office to supply drivers?

Stan

This is more of a sales orientated question based on the hypothetical, which, isn’t the avenue I’d really look to discuss. In short, previous experience and thus a track record (most TM’s will follow the consultant they trust as opposed to the agency they’re supplying from), testimonials to back this up and genuinely? Creating a strong first impression. Sales are sales and ‘customers’ will almost always buy from the person as opposed to having a genuine need for a product most of the time, because a good sales person will identify what their issues are and how they can adapt their service specifically to that client.

animal:
Why do agencies phone you book confirm then within 30 min call back saying the job cancelled It is not cancelled they have another driver or even agency to cover it

If you’re speaking from experience, is this something that happens often? I tend to find that TM’s have a preferred list of suppliers and for non-urgent, will certainly call in order and give them a reasonable timescale. Problems often arise when the agency aren’t being honest in the first place. If a TM was ringing me to say “Need a Class 1 tomorrow morning, 6am”, I should and will have a genuine idea of if I’m going to have someone available to cover it. I might ask for 5-10 minutes if it’s going to be a case of double checking and calling back to confirm I haven’t got anyone, else I’ll ask for up to an hour if I can supply but I know the guys I have in mind are out on the road and can’t always get to their phone; that way I have a realistic timescale and exclusivity to the vacancy.

Following that, it’s often a case of ■■■■ just hit the fan, someone’s gone sick / not turned up and rather than go in order of preference, the TM and anyone else with a free 5 minutes in the office is ringing every agency they use and in some cases, agencies they’ve never used before, for a driver. There’s fewer firms that will ring back to say “No worries, we’ve found someone” than there are ones that will. In that case its first come, first served - so there can be a genuine “Call driver, book driver, call client, book… oh ■■■■”. Although in that situation you should hear back straight away, not in half hour.

I’d also hope that you always hear from your consultant on the phone, other than via text or similar which just causes insurmountable problems.

Last job I got was by walking into the company and asking to speak to TM. Started 3 days later. He had my references, licences etc etc all checked out and it was as simple as that. Right place, right time luckily enough.

FreddieSwan:
I’d also hope that you always hear from your consultant on the phone, other than via text or similar which just causes insurmountable problems.

I don’t. :imp: As a night driver that’s exactly my biggest gripe with agencies - ringing me up with start times and other questions instead of just texting the relevant info to me. None of you clowns get it. When you ring me at noon with my start time and start chatting with “do you know any good drivers?” that’s the equivalent of me doing the same to you at 3am. A text with client and start time is all that’s required. Also a text message is hard proof should any ■■■■ ups occur later, such as “oh no you were booked for x time instead, or no you were cancelled” etc.

Rob K:

FreddieSwan:

I don’t. :imp: As a night driver that’s exactly my biggest gripe with agencies - ringing me up with start times and other questions instead of just texting the relevant info to me. None of you clowns get it. When you ring me at noon with my start time and start chatting with “do you know any good drivers?” that’s the equivalent of me doing the same to you at 3am. A text with client and start time is all that’s required. Also a text message is hard proof should any [zb] ups occur later, such as “oh no you were booked for x time instead, or no you were cancelled” etc.

Completely different scenario Rob. I was describing a situation in which you’d be contacted if you were theoretically available (i.e. you’re not booked out to work and the consultant is trying to spec you out), because when you have an ASAP deadline, a text is completely useless. Also, if a consultant sends a group text to say, 5 guys that are available, he’s then got to chase / let down 4 of them if they all come back with a yes - then you get into the “he’s covered it with someone else” argument.

Agencies have a legal requirement to have it in writing when you’re booked anywhere, of which the driver and client also have a copy. 9 times out of 10 I send a text as a secondary, following an e-mail. Funny example you should use as it happens, given one of my guys is on a 1am run Tues-Fri this week and I have Sunday available for him, so dropped him a text given I’m not 100% on his sleeping pattern. I’m not a complete dolt to the point of not appreciating that you have to sleep once in a while :unamused:

Muckaway:
I wonder if FreddieSwann can explain why so many ads are “company confidential”?

I can, it so you don’t go direct to the employer and do the agency out of their cut.

FreddieSwan:

Rob K:

FreddieSwan:

I don’t. :imp: As a night driver that’s exactly my biggest gripe with agencies - ringing me up with start times and other questions instead of just texting the relevant info to me. None of you clowns get it. When you ring me at noon with my start time and start chatting with “do you know any good drivers?” that’s the equivalent of me doing the same to you at 3am. A text with client and start time is all that’s required. Also a text message is hard proof should any [zb] ups occur later, such as “oh no you were booked for x time instead, or no you were cancelled” etc.

Completely different scenario Rob. I was describing a situation in which you’d be contacted if you were theoretically available (i.e. you’re not booked out to work and the consultant is trying to spec you out), because when you have an ASAP deadline, a text is completely useless. Also, if a consultant sends a group text to say, 5 guys that are available, he’s then got to chase / let down 4 of them if they all come back with a yes - then you get into the “he’s covered it with someone else” argument.

Agencies have a legal requirement to have it in writing when you’re booked anywhere, of which the driver and client also have a copy. 9 times out of 10 I send a text as a secondary, following an e-mail. Funny example you should use as it happens, given one of my guys is on a 1am run Tues-Fri this week and I have Sunday available for him, so dropped him a text given I’m not 100% on his sleeping pattern. I’m not a complete dolt to the point of not appreciating that you have to sleep once in a while :unamused:

interesting. I keep being booked before they even ask me which is really annoying me. Available is no guarantee of acceptance and it means available to everyone. They don’t like me declining contracts and i don’t like not getting shifts. No guarantees either way

scanny77:

FreddieSwan:

Rob K:

FreddieSwan:

interesting. I keep being booked before they even ask me which is really annoying me. Available is no guarantee of acceptance and it means available to everyone. They don’t like me declining contracts and i don’t like not getting shifts. No guarantees either way

I had this happen a few weeks ago. I’d been driving for an agency for a few weeks and in their infinite wisdom they’d texted me a start time for a Saturday night but I was out like a light and never knew anything about it until 7.30pm when I was woken up by my phoning ringing from the client asking me where I was :open_mouth: . The agency had told them I was doing it even though they hadn’t had any confirmation or acknowledgement back from me. Unsurprisingly, one or two words were exchanged about that.

@ Freddie, good form texting your night men - other agencies could learn a lesson from you on that one. As a rule I don’t like to be disturbed at all if I’m sleeping but I accept that it’s often a necessary evil of doing nights to receive my start time during the day when the planners are organising the night runs. Originally I used to have problems not hearing the text message alert noise and missing out on work, but now I have it set to a long high pitched tone which always wakes me up, then it’s just a 2 second job of texting back an “OK” acknowledgement for the start time and back to Zzzzzzzzzz :smiley: . Never a good idea to ring night drivers between 6am and 6pm - you’re bound to catch some asleep and probably get your head bitten off in the process :laughing: .

Muckaway:
Starting a new job soon (going back on tippers again) and I found said job by emailing my cv. Sent cv at 8pm, had a phone call at 8am next day. They rang a subbie who I’d worked for last year and rang me back asking when do I want to start. It was one of several cvs’ I sent out, after getting fed up with trawling through endless “Company Confidential” and non-job agency ads infesting theDirectgov Jobs website.
I wonder if FreddieSwann can explain why so many ads are “company confidential”?

Apologies Muck, I completely missed this post!

The problem with certain job sites is that quite often, they’re not actually sites that the agencies are registered to and posting on. Indeed for example scans job boards such as Reed, CV-Library etc. and posts from there, then also re-post old job adverts because they’re trying to generate traffic. It’s actually something that’s annoying on my end too - because quite often I’ll have deleted an ad for a job that I’ve covered, yet still receive CVs and phone calls courtesy of the third party website.

Mucker85 is half right in his response to your question. If agencies were completely transparent about the clients they worked with then there is a risk that drivers will approach firms direct, which means there’s no money for the agency. No money for the agency = agency going out of business - not a very practical business model. Personally speaking, once drivers are sat in my office, I’ll be completely upfront - it’s not like I’m going to ask them to go to work on Monday morning and turn up to a unit number with no idea where they’re going!

On the flipside however, agencies will often ring other agencies posing as drivers trying to milk information so they can then approach clients - as is the cut-throat nature of the industry. This is also true of ads - most consultants can work out where other agencies are operating from location, nature of the work etc. so it’s very difficult to keep confidentiality as it is - which is why ads can be so vague. If you make inquiry phone-calls about ads you’ve seen, a consultant should be able to tell you the location, type of work involved, shift patterns etc. without disclosing a name - the more informative, the more likely it is to be a genuine position - and when you’re sat in their office, I’m sure they’ll be open-faced about it.

FreddieSwan:
If agencies were completely transparent about the clients they worked with then there is a risk that drivers will approach firms direct, which means there’s no money for the agency. No money for the agency = agency going out of business - not a very practical business model.

I’m not seeing a problem with any of that tbpfh. :smiley:

Rob K:

:laughing: I was always under the impression you were working for agencies at present.

I certainly don’t see a problem with it!

FreddieSwan:

Stanley Knife:
Agency’s are already supplying drivers into these companies, so what leverage would you use with the prospective client to enable your office to supply drivers?

In short, previous experience and thus a track record (most TM’s will follow the consultant they trust as opposed to the agency they’re supplying from), testimonials to back this up

How can opening a “cold desk” consist of phoning a TM who trusts you as a consultant. The whole point of cold calling is not having any association with the prospective client.

Stan

FreddieSwan:

Rob K:

:laughing: I was always under the impression you were working for agencies at present.

It’s around a 25/75% agency/own client split at the moment. I work for an agency when I’m not needed elsewhere, but I do very much begrudge having to go through an agency because that particular client won’t use self employed drivers direct (I appreciate that this isn’t the agency’s fault). The agency doesn’t do ■■■■ all because the work and start times are arranged in advance between myself and the client - all I do is send them a text with my start time just for their records, so in effect I’m doing their work for them and yet they’re creaming a couple of quid an hour off the top for doing ■■■■ all. The only thing they have to do is type some figures into their payroll each week - not a bad earner for them if you ask me, so I’m afraid I have zero sympathy with your violin playing about how hard the job is for you!!

The job is only hard for you due to your own stupidity of setting up your stall in an already saturated market where the only way you can get any work is by undercutting your competitors. Offering a “better” service never works because the client isn’t interested in “better”, they want “cheaper”, so you’re stuck with offering the same rates as every other agency and/or getting creative with the pay scale (eg. current “trick” seems to be paying a flat rate all the way through nowadays whilst charging the client an overtime rate so you make ■■■■ all on the basic but you’re quids in if the driver does 15s and 13s all week). Then you have the problem with drivers. Everyone wants good drivers, but because of the above you can’t pay what good drivers will want, so you’re stuck with all the dross that can’t drive for toffee and don’t turn up for bookings and/or all the newbies that also can’t drive for toffee and are only interested in doing the bare minimum to build up their 2 years xp then ■■■■ off on a perm job elsewhere.

In short, the honest and brutal truth is we couldn’t give a flying hoot about your problems :laughing: . As far as we’re concerned you’re simply a means to an end :bulb: . Remember : without us you’re out of business in an instant, but without you we just carry on with the next agency in line. (PS. nothing personal against you Freddie; you sound a decent enough bloke).